Old 28-04-2007, 04:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default CATTLEYA BRABANTIAE variations

There is a CATTLEYA BRABANTIAE up for sale on Ebay so I called it up
on GOOGLE Image search. There are MANY different C Brabantiae shown,
similar shape differing colors. Same for OrchidWiz. I have not noticed
so much variation in other orchids, some sure but these C. Brs are
very different. I have put off the differing before to the lighting or
camera work. Do orchids vary that much in general? Would a C REX vary
that much, one plant to another?
Joe T

Old 29-04-2007, 04:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Yes, orchids vary that much in general. That's the main reason why one
can't identify an orchid hybrid once the tag's been lost. The AOS mag
'Orchids' has been having a series of articles (written by AA Chadwick) on
the cattleya species. The variation within the species is tremendous, too.
I think these articles are available on Chadwick Orchids webpage. A quick
search on OrchidWiz of C Brabantiae pictures showed one very pink one, one
very spotted one, and one almost red one. Everything depends on the
individual clones used in breeding and even the ploidy of the individuals.
Hybridizers know the individuals in addition to the species involved. Or
the good ones do.

K Barrett

ups.com...