Old 30-04-2007, 11:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default dues

just a general survey type question--those of you in local (or other)
societies, what do you pay in dues? thx...

--j_a

Old 01-05-2007, 12:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

In Port St. Lucie, FL, the dues are $20/single, $25/couple or family. We
have 160 members all told. The dues are a bargain, IMO. We just raised them
this year, with a unanimous "aye" vote by the membership.

Diana

oups.com...

Old 01-05-2007, 01:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

When we formed the Adirondack Orchid Society 2+ years ago, we talked
about dues but never did get around to doing anything about it. We pay
no dues. Of course, as always, "you get what you pay for".

Old 01-05-2007, 02:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Steve, in that case, how do you pay for whatever you need as a group? Maybe
the better question is how many of you are there? If it's a relatively small
number, then I can understand no dues.

Another question: how's your weather now? I know you got a lot of rough
stuff late in the season. Any sign of spring?

Diana

Old 01-05-2007, 03:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

There are about 15 of us but a few rarely come. At our meetings we have
has as few as 4 members show up and as many as 12. The biggest number in
the last 6 months was about 9.
You didn't really expect a big club did you? :-) There aren't very many
people living around here and, of course, orchid growers are extremely
rare. I was quite surprised that we got as many members as we did.

Sure signs of spring:
The last of the snow finally melted from my yard last Friday afternoon.
(Snow can still be seen in some areas along the road and/or in the woods.)
The crocus out on the yard are in full bloom and the daffodils, near the
house, are blooming. The tulips and the daffodils out in the yard still
have a ways to go.
The lawn is becoming green again.

Steve

Old 01-05-2007, 04:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

$15 single (which actually includes your significant other) or $20 family
Includes the kids while they still like you.

K Barrett

oups.com...

Old 01-05-2007, 07:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

We're a little higher at the Atlanta society, $30 single/$45 household.
-danny

oups.com...

Old 01-05-2007, 09:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

We still have some members who can't get the NL electronically, either
because they have dial up connections or no computer at all. There is a very
small group who have the connection but just can't *get* the computer thing.
Anyway, those we snail mail. The rest are all sent a link when the issue is
posted.

It's a benefit to get the NL on line. Most months (this month was the rare
exception), the on line version is substantially longer than the snail
version. I keep the snail to four pages unless there is a compelling reason
for an insert.

Diana

"SuE" wrote in message
On 30 Apr 2007 14:38:00 -0700, wrote:

just a general survey type question--those of you in local (or other)
societies, what do you pay in dues? thx...

--j_a

20 single, 30 2 or more members in one household. If you show at the
annual (corporation meeting/election) each member gets to take home a
plant purchased by the society. Newsletter still mailed, we can not
get a few to agree to a posted or emailed news.

Fund raising spring show/sale brings in less each year.
One of the founding members left money for a speakers fund.
SuE

Old 02-05-2007, 12:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

The Daytona Beach society dues are $15 for a single and $20 for the spouse
and/or any youngsters in the family. None currently.

We have had teenagers in the past who were genuinly interested and active.
One actually 'grew up' and is now one of our commercial growers.

Remove the NOT from my address to respond...

Chris

In article , "danny"
wrote:
We're a little higher at the Atlanta society, $30 single/$45 household.
-danny

roups.com...

Old 02-05-2007, 05:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On May 1, 6:26 pm, (Chris Savas) wrote:

We have had teenagers in the past who were genuinly interested and active.
One actually 'grew up' and is now one of our commercial growers.

this is a good thing; i was at a mtg of a new OS over the weekend and
i was the youngest one there.

i'm 44. :|

however, i took a survey on another orchid BBS and it turns out
there are *lots* of 20- and 30-somethings on there, and even a
few teenagers (including a 13yo). this is good.

thanks for the reponses on dues; this new OS is going to start
nibbling around the idea of dues and i wanted to see what was
reasonable.

--j_a

Old 03-05-2007, 01:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Just raised to $30Cdn. Foothilld orchid society (Calgary Alberta)
oups.com...

Old 06-05-2007, 11:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

The Venice Area Orchid Soc. just raised the dues from $8 single and $13
Family to $15/household. . We are lucky if the due covers the newsletter.

Roy
oups.com...