GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Question about repotting from a newbie (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/157939-question-about-repotting-newbie.html)

Gail 03-05-2007 05:14 PM

Question about repotting from a newbie

Some of my orchids have been in the same pot two or three years now. I have
read that they should be repotted (because the bark breaks down). How do I
know if they need a bigger pot along with new bark? Thanks in advance.
Gail

[email protected] 03-05-2007 06:43 PM

On May 3, 12:14 pm, "Gail" wrote:
Some of my orchids have been in the same pot two or three years now. I have
read that they should be repotted (because the bark breaks down). How do I
know if they need a bigger pot along with new bark? Thanks in advance.
Gail

unfortunately, you don't know 'til you actually pull them out and look
at the root ball. often when i repot, the plant ends up going right
back into its old (disinfected) pot. some times it actually goes
*down* a pot size.

see

http://firstrays.com/potting.htm

have fun! speed death bluegrass and a lot of beer help. :)

--j_a

Kenni Judd 04-05-2007 11:19 PM

Question about repotting from a newbie

When repotting, you need to plan ahead to the _next_ repotting. The general
idea is to leave room for 2-3 years' growth. [With bark, I wouldn't go more
than 2 years. With a non-decomposing medium like lava rock, you can go 3 or
even 4.]

But as previously mentioned, it's more important not to over-pot the roots.
A small plant -- or a plant with a small root system -- in a big pot will be
prone to staying too wet for too long, which invites root rot. Kenni

ink.net...