Old 06-05-2007, 06:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Lawson?

Looking for the name/business of a hybridizer listed as 'Lawson'. He did a
few cucullata crosses. (Bc Mother Lawson, Blc Rebecca Lawson)

Anyone know who he is?

K Barrett

Old 07-05-2007, 08:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

K Barrett wrote:
Looking for the name/business of a hybridizer listed as 'Lawson'. He did a
few cucullata crosses. (Bc Mother Lawson, Blc Rebecca Lawson)

Anyone know who he is?

K Barrett

Don't know if this is them, but give it a try. OrchidWiz lists the
exhibitors Jamie & Jackie Lawson in Palm Bay, FL, awarded at the Volusia
County Orchid Society Show in DeLand. They have 14 awards, none on Catt
alliance, however. Found contact info he
http://home.cfl.rr.com/slipperorchids/

Good luck!

Reka

Old 08-05-2007, 06:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default OGD

K Barrett wrote:
Thanks Diana. The folks at the OGD put me in contact with him. Doncha love
the internet? We all know each other!

That just made me realize I haven't gotten one for a long time. I
checked and the last I got was 2/27. I sent an email to the admin
address in an email I got a while back headed 'orchidguide.com mailing
list memberships reminder', which says it's sent every month despite the
fact I've never received one before or since though I've been a mamber
since inception. The admin address, , was
returned with fatal errors so I finally found a website, logged in with
a password I didn't recognize (because it wasn't the same as the one I
actually have saved from the original registration) from the same email,
and the admin address listed on the website is the same. Dead end. Any
ideas how I can find out (since I've obviously missed issues) what I've
missed or how I can reach the powers that be?

Thanks,

Tennis
Old 08-05-2007, 05:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

The last few months the OGDs been sending out membership reminders. I've
never gotten them before either, but here they are. I guess its meant as a
public service. My only suggestion is to check your spam filters. But
don't worry, nothing of interest has been said. Oh! I take that back, Aaron
Hicks had a post about the Smithsonian almost closing a plant research
program.

Folks, for those of you that don't know Lucy, here's a
little background.

About two years ago, Lucy called me up as I was the only
person in the world with access to a species- one that happened to be
of particular interest to Lucy as it was smack dab in the middle of
the molecular phylogeny she was working on. I said I'd be happy to
provide her with the material she requested- pressed, dried,
non-propagatable material of a federally protected orchid that nobody
else was (or is) growing in cultivation. Of course, when I checked
with the feds, it turns out permits were required to move them
between states. What with Lucy and her lab being in Georgia and me
and the plants being in Arizona, this presented a bit of a challenge.

Lucy completed those permits- which included a mandatory
publication and 30-day review in the National Register- after which
point I sent her the samples. Counting those pages in the Register,
not to mention the heartbreaking work just to write up the request,
probably outweighed the samples about 10,000 or 100,000 to 1. All
that for one data point. Such is bureaucracy.

Her group- the Savannah River Ecology Lab (SREL)- is in a
bit of a pinch. Y'all are just going to have to take my word for
this: for the amount of work that happens per dollar paid out, we- us
orchid growers- are getting a lot out of U-GA's field station.

Some of you may recall when the Smithsonian tried to shut
down their Conservation and Research Center back in 2001- 3200 acres
of some of the most important conservation work going on in America
right now. The Secretary of the Smithsonian repealed the closure
proposal when the value of the facility was revealed.

Right about now would be a good time to do the same thing
for SREL. Please read the missive below and follow the link enclosed within.

Cheers,

-AJHicks
Chandler, AZ

Dear NOC members,

Many of you know me from NOC talks on my Spiranthes genetics project
to determine their "family tree", which was funded initially by the
American Orchid Society. We presented further results this year at
the International Orchid Conservation Congress, and intend to
publish at least 2 papers in scientific journals. This project
could not have happened without the help of many NOC members who
collected samples for it.

The lab portion of the Spiranthes project has been carried out over
the past 4-5 years at my workplace, Savannah River Ecology Lab
(SREL), a field research station for the University of Georgia,
established 56 years ago to ecologically monitor activities on the
Savannah River Site (the nuclear production facility during the cold
war).

But now SREL will be forced to close at the end of May, _in less
than 4 weeks_, because the US Dept. of Energy, our main sponsor,
won't release our funding as promised. More details can be found at
this website: http://www.savesrel.org/.http://www.savesrel.org/.

We need all the letters we can get to petition the key decision-
makers to reverse their decision about the SREL funding halt. A
list of appropriate people to write/email/call is listed at the end
of the "summary" webpage on the above website. If you are so
inclined, please take the time to review the information and help us
by contacting these people to protest their decision.

Thank you,
Lucy Dueck

"tennis maynard" wrote in message
K Barrett wrote:
[...]

Troubled Lawson cypress 'columnaris glauca' Emery Davis[_3_] United Kingdom 3 05-12-2013 03:01 PM
Lawson Cypress under threat David WE Roberts[_4_] United Kingdom 0 20-10-2011 04:48 PM
Lawson Cypress Gregs United Kingdom 3 19-09-2005 10:10 PM
root rot in Douglas fir and Lawson cypress Roy A. Fletcher Gardening 2 09-09-2004 05:29 AM
Young Leylandii and Lawson conifers, prune and manage David C United Kingdom 3 17-04-2003 11:32 PM