Old 08-05-2007, 03:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Greenhouses

How many of you own greenhouses? What else do you keep in them besides your
orchids?

Old 08-05-2007, 05:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I keep nothing but orchids in my GH. A long time ago I tried putting
staghorn ferns in with the orchids and a friend nearly hit the roof. Saying
staghorn ferns were nothing but scale houses and it'd infect my whole
collection.. Of course I didn't believe her. Of course it infested my whole
collection with scale. Of course there are the usual pests, like oxalis
and tilisandia (well, that's not a pest) but I still keep nothing but
orchids in the GH.

YMMV,

K Barrett

Old 08-05-2007, 10:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I do.

In addition to orchids, there is 1 each Epiphyllum oxypetalum (orchid
cactus), Platycerium bifurcatum (staghorn fern), unknown clivia hybrid
(Kafir lily), untold numbers of oxalis....

Old 08-05-2007, 02:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Mon, 7 May 2007 21:36:41 -0500 in Manelli Family wrote:
How many of you own greenhouses? What else do you keep in them besides your
orchids?

Well, I own a greenhouse, but it's currently disassembled and in my parents
backyard.

I imagine that the avocado tree and prickly pear cactus will go into it as
well when I have the time and money to put in a foundation for it at my
new house.

--
Chris Dukes
elfick willg: you can't use dell to beat people, it wouldn't stand up
Old 08-05-2007, 02:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On May 7, 10:36 pm, "Manelli Family" wrote:
How many of you own greenhouses? What else do you keep in them besides your
orchids?

Some of the most interesting ferns come up out of orchid potting
media. There are some common ones, yes, but every now and again
something I have never seen before pops up and I collect it and give
it a pot of it's own. In addition to ferns and orchids, I have a
collection of bonsai, bromiliad, tillansia, nepenthes, amorphophalus,
begonia and...oxalis.

Old 08-05-2007, 05:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Greenhouses - to all

wrote in message
oups.com...
On May 7, 10:36 pm, "Manelli Family" wrote:
How many of you own greenhouses? What else do you keep in them besides
your
orchids?

Some of the most interesting ferns come up out of orchid potting
media. There are some common ones, yes, but every now and again
something I have never seen before pops up and I collect it and give
it a pot of it's own. In addition to ferns and orchids, I have a
collection of bonsai, bromiliad, tillansia, nepenthes, amorphophalus,
begonia and...oxalis.

Very interesting. I only have my Harbor Freight 8 X 6 for a year but no
oxalis yet! :^) We just finished assembling the new Rion 8.5 X 16.5. One
section will be for orchids and the rest tropical plants. One corner will
go for heat loving veggies. I never found ferns or anything to sprout in my
orchid mixes.

Old 10-05-2007, 03:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On May 8, 12:52 pm, "Manelli Family" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

On May 7, 10:36 pm, "Manelli Family" wrote:
How many of you own greenhouses? What else do you keep in them besides
your
orchids?

I don't have a green house, my house is made of brick and stone so
it's mostly grey and red. The wolf blew down the stick house (various
browns) and the straw house (yellowish). I keep my wife and kids in
the house along with a cat, a fish tank for Mrs. T and companions, and
orchids, tillandsia and cactus in the windows.
No oxalis, yet. I did have a fern magically appear in a terrarium.
That was cool, until it overgrew the Cryptocoryne sp. I planted in
there.
Bob Campoli

Old 10-05-2007, 02:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
SuE SuE is offline

On Mon, 7 May 2007 21:23:17 -0700, "K Barrett"
wrote:

I keep nothing but orchids in my GH. A long time ago I tried putting
staghorn ferns in with the orchids and a friend nearly hit the roof. Saying
staghorn ferns were nothing but scale houses and it'd infect my whole
collection.. Of course I didn't believe her. Of course it infested my whole
collection with scale. Of course there are the usual pests, like oxalis
and tilisandia (well, that's not a pest) but I still keep nothing but
orchids in the GH.

YMMV,

K Barrett

Staghorn ferns are scale magnets - every scale in the gh will go there
first -- watch it for infection indicators. Sacrifice a frond or two
and your out of scale.

I two have ferns all over. the Staghorns are old enough and large
enough they pepper every orchid pot with seedlings if baby ferns can
be called seedlings. Other ferns show up, mostly rabbit's foot,
although I do not have one in the gh and continue to pull them They
do not share a pot and will strangle an orchid if allowed to grow. I
also keep Spanish moss and have some sphagnum that appears live.
A few Tilly's and the ever present oxalis and the Tahitian bridal Vail
run where they will until I can pull them. I once heard of a spray
that would kill oxalis and not harm orchids.... Idiot like I did not
write a file on it.
SuE

[IBC] Panels for Greenhouses ?? Mark Hill Bonsai 5 12-03-2003 03:44 PM
Are double glazed greenhouses feasible ?? gray United Kingdom 6 08-02-2003 09:08 PM
Greenhouses Alison United Kingdom 0 06-02-2003 04:27 PM
Greenhouses CK United Kingdom 0 04-02-2003 08:53 AM
Greenhouses Julie Gardening 2 02-02-2003 06:34 PM