Old 10-05-2007, 03:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Home Depot's Cattleyas

"jtill" wrote in message
oups.com...
You have already recieved much good advice, this note is an opinion or
two. Sue has a good point that we don't know your location so helping
you locate a local grower is not possible.

- I'm located in zone 6. I'm in middle TN, not far from Nashville.

On HD and LOWE'S
orchids....Boooooooooooo! Somewhere I read that an newbie should buy
an orchid in flower every month for a year, that way if you treat them
right you will always have a plant in flower! I follow that plan,
being a newbie. Also, I think it best to buy plants with similiar
growth needs, Temp., humidity, etc.

- Which is what I am trying to do. :0) I'm buying the easy to care for
orchids. Nothing rare and expensive. My greenhouse will be around 55 to 60F
at night in the winter and in the 70s and 80s during the day. In summer
they'll be outdoors in the semi shade. Our days are usually in the 90s with
high humidity in summer.

Lastly, Buy big plants! small
plants take years to bloom and they start with ONE flower mostly!

- Most of ours were in flower when we bought them. I did get a few for 50%
off because the flowers had already bloomed (from HD). They were nice big
plants for $6. I'm checking out the orchid sites recommended here and see
several I'd love to have. But first things first. The Rion has to be
finished. We just added the HAF fans.... now we need to purchase a heater,
louvered vents and an exhaust fan.

Last
lastly, give a loved one a big flowering potted orchid from SBOE or
Hausermanns or some such for a present with the stipulation that you
get the plant bach when it has bloomed out!
Joe T

Old 10-05-2007, 03:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Well, you seem to be on your way! I grow mine outside under a big
Pecan tree here on the gulf coast near Galveston/Houston TX.

Here are a few sellers in Nashville, I just picked them off the web so
buyer beware.

I threw Tootsie's in just for grins, they probably don't sell
orchids ;-))

Orchid Society of Middle TennesseeNashville, TN. Show Hours: Displays
open to the public about 12:00 Noon on ... from around the region with
hundreds of orchid plants and supplies for sale. ...
www.tnorchid.com/osmt_orchid_show.html - 5k - Cached - Similar pages

[PDF]
The Mid-American
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
Fall 2003, Mid-America Speaker's Forum and Orchid Sales Weekend,
Louisville, ... Congress meeting in Nashville TN, Fall, 2004-at the
Sunday morning Business ...
midamericanorchids.org/MidAmerican/Mid-American-June03b.prn.pdf -
Similar pages

Nashville Live Music - The Best Live Music in Nashville, TN - 10BestNo
boots? Don't worry- the ones lining the walls are for sale! ...
Tootsie's Orchid Lounge. 422 Broadway, Nashville, TN 37203-3931 ·
615-726-0463 ...
http://www.10best.com/Nashville/Nigh...sic/index.html - 58k -

Exhibitor and Vendor List - Nashville Lawn and Garden Show
2007Landscape Assoc. of Nashville TN (P.L.A.N.T.), Annex, www.landscapenashville.
.... The Orchid Society of Middle Tennessee, 118, www.tnorchids.com ·
More Info ...
www.nashvillelawnandgardenshow.com/exhibitors/ - 43k

Cypripedium Acaule Transplant - Page 2 - The Slipper Orchid
Forum ...Location: Nashville, TN. Posts: 96. Default ... Slipper
Orchid Forum Auction, Slippers For Sale or Trade or Giveaways
(Registered members only) ...
http://www.slipperorchidforum.com/fo...ad.php?p=98966 - 44k -

Merkles Orchids - sales of unusual orchid plants and orchid ...sales
of orchid plants and supplies in Tennessee, USA. ... Merkle's Orchids
is located in Nashville, Tennessee. We sell orchid plants, and provide
orchid ...
merklesorchids.com/ - 6k

Old 10-05-2007, 07:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"jtill" wrote in message
ps.com...
Well, you seem to be on your way! I grow mine outside under a big
Pecan tree here on the gulf coast near Galveston/Houston TX.

-- They do great hanging in the trees here. I put them out around the 3rd
week of April and bring them in around the middle of October, before the
first frost. I had a small collection a few years back. I think I may have
mentioned them before. We took a trip and a severe storm took down the tree
and I lost most of them. A few are still recovering.

Here are a few sellers in Nashville, I just picked them off the web so
buyer beware.

I threw Tootsie's in just for grins, they probably don't sell
orchids ;-))

-- Wow! These will keep me busy for awhile. Thanks. :0)

Old 10-05-2007, 07:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"jadel" wrote in message
oups.com...
On May 8, 7:39 pm, "Manelli Family" wrote:
I stopped by HD this morning and saw they got in those very small
cattleyas
in the mesh bags for under $5 each. I couldn't resist and came home with
two of them. ...

I have two of these. Both were labelled; both are growing well two
years later.

One of them is forming a sheath.

The weaker one of mine really perked up with a transplanting and a good
soaking. He's outside on the porch with the rest of the orchids.

Big plants from HD have done very well for me. I've had to divide a
couple of them, and they bloom every summer.

I have also had excellent luck with orchids from Lowe's and Wal*Mart.

You have to give the plants a careful inspection before you buy them
to be sure you are getting one in decent shape.

I wish the little catts were easy to examine but they're in those little
mesh bags that are hard to see through. The other orchids are much easier to
see and check.

J. Del Col

Sodium Grow Light from Home Depot MC Gardening 9 14-04-2011 07:06 PM
Shade cloth at Home Depot? [email protected] Orchids 17 01-09-2003 06:22 PM
Rose bushes at Home Depot Mceezee Gardening 7 15-05-2003 03:56 AM
Salt at Home Depot or Lowes? Bob Ponds 3 12-05-2003 01:45 AM
whats' the chroma 50 bulb from wall mart or home depot Wynand Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 07:15 AM