GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   The LBAM are coming! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/158329-lbam-coming.html)

[email protected] 09-05-2007 05:20 PM

The LBAM are coming!

Run for the Hills!

http://www.cdfa.ca.gov/phpps/pdep/lbam_main.htm

Anything that effects the movement of plants though california effects
the movement and cost of orchids from Hawaii and California to and
from almost everywhere else in the USA.

I have already recieved emergency emails from many of my hawaiian
orchid vendors telling me of the new restrictions and the added cost
of inspection for shipments leaving their nurseries. Oh yippy.

K Barrett 09-05-2007 09:36 PM

The LBAM are coming!

Bill Bergstrom said somethingn along the lines that it wasn't going to
cause any problems.... I think he's mistaken.

K Barrett
oups.com...

K Barrett 09-05-2007 10:06 PM

The LBAM are coming!

Looking at it again, most of the host crops seem to be dicots, plantain and
corn are the only monocots listed...

. ..

[email protected] 09-05-2007 10:42 PM

The LBAM are coming!

....One if by land and two if by sea and I on the phone with california
shall be....

Most wholesale FEDEX shipments leaving Hawaii have a stop over in the
CA.

Here are quoted portions of two of the emails I got this morning:

1.)
"Due to the detection of the light brown apple moth (LBAM) in several
California counties, the U.S. Department of Agriculture has imposed
quarantine on ALL plants leaving Hawaii. In response to this
quarantine, the Plant Quarantine Branch of the Hawaii Department of
Agriculture (HDOA) has established a policy requiring all shipments of
plants leaving Hawaii to be inspected prior to shipping, effective May
9, 2007. "

2.)
" As by now most of you have heard about LBAM ( light brown apple
moth) that has been found in California (source unknown?) that has
turned the world of exporting plants out of Hawaii upside down since
the moth has been quietly present here for the last 100 years (never
heard of it until now...)!! First California DOA jumps in & then UDSA
and now we have arrived at the place of.....................NO shipments anywhere in
the USA without a physical inspection and Phytosanitary certificate!
Did I mention that this moth only lives at elevations of around 4,000
feet???? So, now we have a limited number of Ag inspectors that will
be racing around the islands inspecting plants by the thousands (all
plants, not just orchids) for export that are primarily grown between
100 & 2,000' so that USDA doesn't totally wipe out the Hawaii
Agriculture Export Industry."

Some of the hawaiin vendors seem a bit more paniced than others. I
guess panic level depends on weekly gross shipments. These two quoted
sections I cut-n-pasted here are from some wholesale hawaiin shippers
I have delt with. My 'run for the hills' comment was somewhat tongue
in cheek. I really don't know what's going on except for these and a
few other emails from my regualr suppliers I found in my inbox this
morning. I was just amused at the tone from these wholesalers and
especially the various costs they quoted in their emails for the new
inspection requirements. Probably many will just absorb the fees and
say nothing, Probably many smaller retail venodrs don't even know
about this yet.

AND probably a few retail level *orchid* shipments through and into
California will get trapped by inspectors THERE. I do not know....

Pat Brennan[_2_] 10-05-2007 12:09 AM

The LBAM are coming!

You think the new inspection fees are bad. Wait till you get the new
postal rates figured out. If you use priority mail and a box over 1
cubic foot, bend over. What did Al say--yipee!!

Pat

[email protected] 10-05-2007 12:29 AM

The LBAM are coming!

On May 9, 6:09 pm, Pat Brennan wrote:
You think the new inspection fees are bad. Wait till you get the new
postal rates figured out. If you use priority mail and a box over 1
cubic foot, bend over. What did Al say--yipee!!

Pat

I stopped having fun a year or so ago.

....And then there are all those people paying for plants with all
those free gift point credit cards. I wonder how many think these are
really give backs from their credit card company?

....and if anybody mentions next year's winter oil prices, I will
destroy your planet and never look back.

[email protected] 10-05-2007 01:31 AM

The LBAM are coming!

On May 9, 6:29 pm, wrote:

...And then there are all those people paying for plants with all
those free gift point credit cards. I wonder how many think these are
really give backs from their credit card company?

my lawyer has just advised me that the fine print of my merchant
account prohibits me from discussing their fees with my customers.
Okay, so I take it all back...I am a raving idiot. I admit it
freely. ...apparently they'll give a merchant account to anyone.

The LBAM are still coming!

Diana Kulaga[_2_] 11-05-2007 02:25 AM

The LBAM are coming!

...and if anybody mentions next year's winter oil prices, I will
destroy your planet and never look back.

What, we're not doing a good enough job of it without your help, O Revered
Alien Being?

Diana

[email protected] 11-05-2007 03:18 AM

The LBAM are coming!

On May 10, 8:25 pm, "Diana Kulaga"
wrote:
...and if anybody mentions next year's winter oil prices, I will
destroy your planet and never look back.

What, we're not doing a good enough job of it without your help, O Revered
Alien Being?

Diana

I'll show a big carbon footprint.

[email protected] 11-05-2007 06:56 PM

The LBAM are coming!

On May 9, 6:29 pm, wrote:

...And then there are all those people paying for plants with all
those free gift point credit cards. I wonder how many think these are
really give backs from their credit card company?

...and if anybody mentions next year's winter oil prices, I will
destroy your planet and never look back.

ok, so we should pay either with cash or a gallon of heating oil. -
makes note-

--j_a

[email protected] 11-05-2007 07:41 PM

The LBAM are coming!

On May 11, 12:56 pm, wrote:
On May 9, 6:29 pm, wrote:

...And then there are all those people paying for plants with all
those free gift point credit cards. I wonder how many think these are
really give backs from their credit card company?

...and if anybody mentions next year's winter oil prices, I will
destroy your planet and never look back.

ok, so we should pay either with cash or a gallon of heating oil. -
makes note-

--j_a

A gallon? This is my standard line to customers who ask, "Do you
take credit cards?":

"MasterCard, Visa, checks, cash, barrels of oil. Sorry I no longer
accept the first born"...and then if that works out as expected many
people say something like "You could always put them to work in the
greenhouse" which is my well practiced que for "Phfff, ...they just
run away, and then what do I got?"

[email protected] 14-05-2007 04:12 PM

The LBAM are coming!

On 9 May 2007 16:31:51 -0700 in .com wrote:
On May 9, 6:29 pm, wrote:

...And then there are all those people paying for plants with all
those free gift point credit cards. I wonder how many think these are
really give backs from their credit card company?

my lawyer has just advised me that the fine print of my merchant
account prohibits me from discussing their fees with my customers.
Okay, so I take it all back...I am a raving idiot. I admit it
freely. ...apparently they'll give a merchant account to anyone.

That's okay, I still ask mom and pop merchants.
"So, which credit card company has the smallest take, or are you using
one of those unified services?"
If I'm feeling really nasty, I ask them how much telecheck reams them for
each check.

--
Chris Dukes
elfick willg: you can't use dell to beat people, it wouldn't stand up

[email protected] 14-05-2007 04:15 PM

The LBAM are coming!

On 11 May 2007 10:41:06 -0700 in . com wrote:
On May 11, 12:56 pm, wrote:
On May 9, 6:29 pm, wrote:

...And then there are all those people paying for plants with all
those free gift point credit cards. I wonder how many think these are
really give backs from their credit card company?

...and if anybody mentions next year's winter oil prices, I will
destroy your planet and never look back.

ok, so we should pay either with cash or a gallon of heating oil. -
makes note-

--j_a

A gallon? This is my standard line to customers who ask, "Do you
take credit cards?":

"MasterCard, Visa, checks, cash, barrels of oil. Sorry I no longer
accept the first born"...and then if that works out as expected many
people say something like "You could always put them to work in the
greenhouse" which is my well practiced que for "Phfff, ...they just
run away, and then what do I got?"

Nah "Too many scavengers if I compost them, and if I go the anaerobic route
the effluvia is just a bio hazard that isn't any good as compost or
heating oil."