Old 09-06-2007, 02:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default yuck

Normal case for a phal loosing a leaf is it yellows and falls off over time.
Found one of mine in a case I'd never seen before. The inside of the leaf
had sort of liquefied, leaving me with a sort of water balloon effect.
Definitely yucky! "Normal", or could I have some strange disease in my
plants? I'll be away for a couple of days so I may not be able to reply,
but appreciate any help you guys can offer. Thanks!.

Old 09-06-2007, 03:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Jun 8, 9:25 pm, "eeyore" wrote:
Normal case for a phal loosing a leaf is it yellows and falls off over time.
Found one of mine in a case I'd never seen before. The inside of the leaf
had sort of liquefied, leaving me with a sort of water balloon effect.
Definitely yucky! "Normal", or could I have some strange disease in my
plants? I'll be away for a couple of days so I may not be able to reply,
but appreciate any help you guys can offer. Thanks!.

It is a bacterial rot and must be removed "carefully" to prevent
spreading and--- loss of the plant. Bill

Old 17-06-2007, 03:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I escaped it when I had a smaller collection that I could watch better.
When I had 80 orchids or so I could look each one over as I watered, dry any
water that collected in the crown/axil and kill off any bugs easily by
squishing them *G*.

If it helps any I understand the growers in Hawaii who supply dendrobium cut
flowers have had it happen where one of these rots will collapse a whole
commercial greenhouse into a smelly soup in a matter of days. Ick.

So we aint the only ones it happens to!

"eeyore" wrote in message
Thanks much for the information. Not sure how I escaped this until now.

. ..

Corn Yuck Mike Edible Gardening 1 04-08-2007 07:54 PM
Creeping yellow yuck! What is it? ZeroWing North Carolina 4 15-06-2005 11:39 PM
Repeated infestations. Yuck. nblomgren Gardening 0 05-08-2003 11:02 PM
Yuck - smelly plants TomNavyRet Ponds 5 07-07-2003 02:46 AM