Old 19-06-2007, 09:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default A really wierd year

Is it me or is something wierd happening in the orchid world?

I have a Dendrobium farmeri that in the 5 years I've been growing has never
bloomed. I gave it cattleya lighting. It was a lush green plant. This
year out of frustration I put a plant hanger on it and hung it outside on
the fence. If it survived then I would bring in back into the house in
September. If it died, well no loss since I have plenty of leafy plants.
Today I noticed the leaves are getting bleached out a bit but it's sending
out at least 3 spikes. Hey plant....it's mid June and you are supposed to
be a spring bloomer!

I also have a Vanda sanderiana (Euanthe sanderiana). Each year this plant
sends out 1 or 2 spikes in November. Usually the tip of the spike turns to
mush and I only get 1 or 2 flowers. I hung it outside in May with the other
Vandas and noticed a couple of weeks ago that I have the nicest spike
forming that is not showing any mush! My plan was to grow it out nicely and
offer it at the sales table for someone who has better culture with this
species.

My Phal belina that blooms in October is spiking now. Other stuff seems to
be off schedule.

Should I hang a calendar in the garden so these plants can see they aren't
supposed to be blooming now?

Good Growing,
Gene

Old 20-06-2007, 12:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

It's been strange down here since the '04 hurricanes. Things are still
blooming at odd times. I have a V. denisoniana which bloomed in January. It
is in full spike now. Now, this is a species which can bloom more than once
yearly, but this is an off month, at least for this particular plant. An
Angraecum eburnium didn't bloom at all this year, after sending out a
glorious display last year. Many Catts are blooming off season, and some
more frequently than before.

I'll take what I can get!

Diana

Old 20-06-2007, 03:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Jun 19, 6:17 pm, "Diana Kulaga"
wrote:
[...]

Gene- Hide quoted text -

Howdy folks!
I don't know if this classifies as wierd but I have a Howeara Lava
Burst 'Puanani' that flowers a couple times a year. During winter the
flowers are a deep lava red color with very little yellow on the lip.
During the summer it's a pale lava red with a bit more yellow on the
lip. A division of this plant, that I split myself is growing under
fluorescent light and flowering now. The tepals are pale lava red
( expected ... it's been warm ) but the lip is almost entirely
yellow. The 'parent' plant from which I took this division isn't
flowering at all, but it is putting out a new growth!
I mentioned the difference in color before and learned it's normal,
that many flower's color intensity is influenced by temperature.

OT - My 'real' job - commercial office building maintainence, not
horticulture g - should be interesting this year, more than usual.
A movie production company leased space in one of my buildings.
Filming is being done nearby, but not onsite. This is the first time
I've had a production company as a tenant. I'm excited, and
apprehensive too. I think it will be a neat experience.

Old 20-06-2007, 08:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Just another of the vagaries of orchid growing, Bob!

Diana

"bobc" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old 21-06-2007, 03:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

In article ,
"Diana Kulaga" wrote:

Just another of the vagaries of orchid growing, Bob!

Howdy folks!
I don't know if this classifies as wierd but I have a Howeara Lava
Burst 'Puanani' that flowers a couple times a year. During winter the
flowers are a deep lava red color with very little yellow on the lip.

yep, my Hwra is blooming at the moment; practically no yellow at all.
(not that i mind--i like red. last time it had lots of yellow. of
course last time, it was blooming off an immature pbulb too.

i blame temps; there are pictures around of the spikes of the same phal
with distinctly different flowers on them, because one spike was closer
to the greenhouse wall and cooler (hotter, whatever) while the spikes
were forming.

--j_a

Old 21-06-2007, 02:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

My bellinas are spiking too (one should be open today, need to run
downstairs and check). Growing under lights, some things stick to a
schedule and some don't. For stuff that hasn't bloomed in a long time, just
giving it some sort of shock (temp, light, absence of water, absence of
fertilizer) could make it bloom depending on the species.

On a cultural note, I've heard a couple times now that you can bloom the
nobile dendrobiums well by controlling the fertilizer (none after August,
resume when it's budding). Apparently one of the big growers in Hawaii
blooms them by controlling temperature. Lots of different triggers can work
on some of the plants.

-danny