Old 20-06-2007, 05:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default OrchidWiz 4.0

I finally got around to loading the new version of OrchidWiz 4.0.

FINALLY! Someone put the index to the AOS Bulletin and Orchids magazines as
well as the index to the Orchid Digest magazines on it!!!!!!! I'm in
heaven. You seach by author. Or title string. When he gets it by subject
I'll truly be happy, but Yippee!! An index!

And! The small little search box is gone. Its bigger now, so now you can
read it. (Yes, I wear bifocals) And there's tabbed searches. No need to
lose prior search results. Just stack up tabs.

Just so's you know, I have no affiliation with the company.

K Barrett

Old 21-06-2007, 03:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Pretty cool, huh? I mean having an index to the back catalog of Bulletins/
Orchid Digests etc. As well as Orchids! Plus there's some Lindleyana
articles in there too, but I don't own those (except the ones published in
Orchids)

I've been playing around trying to use the title search feature. Just type
in 'Venezuela' or 'green' and see what comes up.

K Barrett

"Ray B" wrote in message
Just installed it this morning.

. ..

Old 21-06-2007, 03:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default OrchidWiz vs. eAOS

K Barrett wrote:
I finally got around to loading the new version of OrchidWiz 4.0.

FINALLY! Someone put the index to the AOS Bulletin and Orchids magazines as
well as the index to the Orchid Digest magazines on it!!!!!!! I'm in
heaven. You seach by author. Or title string. When he gets it by subject
I'll truly be happy, but Yippee!! An index!

And! The small little search box is gone. Its bigger now, so now you can
read it. (Yes, I wear bifocals) And there's tabbed searches. No need to
lose prior search results. Just stack up tabs.

Just so's you know, I have no affiliation with the company.

K Barrett

One of my many hats in my local society is librarian and we've talked
about replacing our Wildcatt with this or eAOS. Who can compare the two
from actual experience and what features distinguish them?
Tennis
Old 21-06-2007, 03:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Kathy,

Wonderful news! I anxiously await mine.

-Eric in SF
www.orchidphotos.org

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
I finally got around to loading the new version of OrchidWiz 4.0.

Old 21-06-2007, 04:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"tennis maynard" wrote in message
K Barrett wrote:
I finally got around to loading the new version of OrchidWiz 4.0.

FINALLY! Someone put the index to the AOS Bulletin and Orchids magazines
as well as the index to the Orchid Digest magazines on it!!!!!!! I'm in
heaven. You seach by author. Or title string. When he gets it by
subject I'll truly be happy, but Yippee!! An index!

And! The small little search box is gone. Its bigger now, so now you
can read it. (Yes, I wear bifocals) And there's tabbed searches. No
need to lose prior search results. Just stack up tabs.

Just so's you know, I have no affiliation with the company.

K Barrett

One of my many hats in my local society is librarian and we've talked
about replacing our Wildcatt with this or eAOS. Who can compare the two
from actual experience and what features distinguish them?
Tennis

The eAOS costs less and will have all the award slides. So you'll have
color pictures of the awards so you can compare to your flower. Remember,
not all pictures are great. Many , many are really poor, but hey.
Sometimes they are better than nothing.

Personally, I think the way the eAOS works is rather clunky, but you put up
with a lot in order to get the pictures. They have gotten better at
allowing side by side comparison of selected images but the back and forth
from the images you selected to the list of award images is poor. You go
back and start all over again finding different images. To find an award
you just type a series of letters into the search field and a list of awards
with that spelling will be returned (like Orchid Wiz and like how Wildcatt
used to be) but! You still have to capitalize for hybrids. Orchid Wiz you
don't have to capitalize.

So for example, you want to look up any awards on Phrag Jason Fischer.
Select 'search for award, with synonyms '. You can search by genus, by
abbrevation and by hybrid name. Most folks cut to the chase and plug in the
hybrid name they are looking for (You must Capitalize Jason Fischer , just
typing jason fischer won't return any results). You select the FCC awards
(cntrl/click), hit 'enter' and the awards come up. at the lower edge are
forward/back; top/bottom so you can page thru the list. YOu cannot compare
these awards stats side by side. You have to page through them. For some
reason I lost the ability to view images side by side...they used to come up
all at once, now they don't go figure. I don't have time to try to figure
out what happened there. BUT! The neater thing is that in teh hugely long
list of awards your search turned up, over to the right side is a list of
measurements. No flower count, but at least you can quickly compare petal
widths etc.

If you really don't care about awards and only want it to check hybrids and
paretnage then you select the 'Search for parents of hybrid'

This is where you ahve to tab through the search fields. You can't just
enter teh hybrid name. If you are looking for teh parentage of Phrag Jason
Fischer you HAVE to enter 'Phrag' in teh abbreviation field. Then 'tab' to
the next field which eAOS fills with phragmipedium. Then you 'tab' to the
hybrid name and remember to capitalize 'Jason Fischer'. Lord help you if
you don't know how to spell Fischer. If like me you get your letters mixed
up you can't just highlight and delete. You have to hit 'clear entry' to
reset the form.

All this isn't necessary in Orchid wiz. if you want ot look up an orchid,
any orchid, you type it name in the search fields. no need to capitalize
jason fischer. If you don't know how 'fischer' is spelled you can just type
'jason f' and it will come up. There may be other orchids in that string
too, but you select the name you want , hit enter , and the name, cross,
hybridizer and date are there as well as any synonym. There are buttons to
take you to the next query. Want award stats? Progeny? Wonder if its been
crossed with another orchid? There are buttons or search fields all on that
one first screen so you don't have to page around, wondering where you are
and how to get back. Click on 'award' and all the awards come up in a
table. You can rearrange the table by clicking on a column header. (large to
small, small to large, date, alphabet, you name it) There are images (not
the award images) in the search box often many differnt images as well as
botanical drawings of the plants in question. And you can view them all at
once. BUT! if you want the award image and also happen to own the eAOS you
can click on a button that opens the eAOS program and you can then use the
eAOS program to find the award image.

So Orchidwiz allows you to see any data in any format you want, almost gives
you too much information. eAOS has the award pictures.

Orchid wiz also has the index to the Bulletin, Orchid Digest and Orchids, so
you can go back through your magazine collection and find hidden articles on
stuff you didn't realize you wanted to know. Like I said you can search on
'Green' and stuff about green cattlyas comes up or green roots or
greenhouses. If you know an author wrote something but you can't recall
what, you type it in. You do have to know how to spell 'Hetherington'.

Orchid Wiz also tells you the time of year the orchid flowers. It can find
all cool growing orchids by continent or region.

I think eAOS still turns out a better hybridizer search. If you want to
know all of Alan Koch's hybrids you can find that more easily in eAOS. Both
can turn up a search by clonal name only equally as fast and easily.

Orchidwiz just gives you more information packed onto one screen than the
eAOS does. And allows you to manipulate the data.

But it costs more. And doesn't have the award images.

The eAOS isn't updated as quickly/frequently as OrchidWiz is.

If you are just a hobbyist and have gotten along just fine with the FREE RHS
hybrid registration database then save your money and don't buy either. If
you want to find articles about orchids that you didn't know you wanted to
know about, use the FREE London Orchid Society's photo search database, it
will at least get you close to an article/publication on teh orchid you
wanted to research.

I use these programs to research awards at the judging table. Having the
phots will be a big plus. BUT! I'll use OrchidWiz to access the data.
Granted, I got in way early when the price was cheaper than it is now, and
only have to pay for updates. Those cost less (???) The same(???) as the
yearly subscription to eAOS (Or Awards Plus or whatever the heck they are
calling it thses days.) But I have to subscribe to the eAOS anyway, since
I'm a judge and have to.

Speaking of which, I still have my mags becasue there are times I just don't
want to boot up the computer. Sometimes I can find what I'm looking for in
a book quicker than booting a computer, too.

K Barrett

Old 21-06-2007, 05:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

K Barrett wrote:
I forgot to add that OrchidWiz now uses tabbed browsing or searches, so you
can to back and forth even more easily.

Here's another question: where the heck is the info on eAOS hidden on
the AOS site? Can't find it anywhere.
Old 21-06-2007, 07:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

tennis maynard wrote:

K Barrett wrote:
I forgot to add that OrchidWiz now uses tabbed browsing or searches, so you
can to back and forth even more easily.

Here's another question: where the heck is the info on eAOS hidden on
the AOS site? Can't find it anywhere.

You won't find eAOS anymore; as far as I can tell, it's been replaced by
AQPlus, V3.0:

http://www.aos.org/aos/HeleoCart/Pro...spx?sq=yi2Xzpy
FRRSCQoALEEU%2f9GYS6iwJxkrLW15wc7WAAsg%3d

(From that page..."Like its predecessor, e-AOS, this highly anticipated
program provides access to all of the the AOS Awards data from 1932 to
the present in Awards Quarterly format."

--
Mike KD7PVT
NAR #70953 - Sr/HPR Level-1 ~ BEMRC - NAR Section #627
Old 21-06-2007, 01:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

AQPlus is supposed to be released this month, we saw a beta version of it
earlier this month. I don't currently have any of the programs so I can't
really compare the new version to the old version. Ron McHatton (AOS
Director of Education & Regional somethingorother [he needs a shorter
title], former Atlanta O.S. member) gave us the demo, he is the one that is
doing the synonym tables for the AOS program and he is also the person that
reviews all of the descriptions for the new awards. The program will have
most of the award slides (40+k?) in the first release and should have all of
them soon. One interesting thing is that Ron is starting to go back and
clean up the names on some of the old awards. I think he has the Cycnoches
chlorochilon/warscewiczii/etc group corrected in this first release.
-danny

news:1i014yg.1sq6zpkorq40mN% Here's another question: where the heck is

Old 21-06-2007, 03:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"Mike Pearson see .sig" wrote in message
m...
tennis maynard wrote:

K Barrett wrote:
I forgot to add that OrchidWiz now uses tabbed browsing or searches, so
you
can to back and forth even more easily.

Here's another question: where the heck is the info on eAOS hidden on
the AOS site? Can't find it anywhere.

You won't find eAOS anymore; as far as I can tell, it's been replaced by
AQPlus, V3.0:

Like a bunch of goldarned taxonomists....

K Barrett

Old 21-06-2007, 03:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I'd like to reiterate that the 40,000+ images came from Ken Jacobsen at the
Pacific Central. Those of you who judged at the Trustees Meeting in Santa
Rosa saw them there as well as the Pac Central's intranet of laptops on
which to view them. If you judged at the Pacific Orchid Exposition or the
Santa Barbara show you saw it at the POE and maybe in SB. On the AOS forum
someone was touting somebody from Florida as getting all the scanned images
into the program. Which may or may not be true. But there'd BE NO images
if Ken hadn't sat for Hours for *years* scanning them one by one by one.
Over 40,000 of them from the award slides at the Pacific Central. I don't
know why no one at the AOS is shaking his hand or even mentioning his name.
He's a hero.
K Barrett

news

Old 21-06-2007, 03:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

K Barrett wrote:
I forgot to add that OrchidWiz now uses tabbed browsing or searches, so
you can to back and forth even more easily.

Here's another question: where the heck is the info on eAOS hidden on the
AOS site? Can't find it anywhere.

You're not the only one. Other judges are unable to find it to purchase it
either. At our last business meeting it was mentioned that the AOS web page
would be going through a revision to make it more user friendly.

I think you have to go to the Bookstore and buy it there. Cost is $50 or
there abouts. IMHO wait for the update with the 40K images to actually be
released before you buy. (Bird in the hand is worht two in the bush)

K Barrett

Old 21-06-2007, 03:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

By the way there's an article comparing OW & eAOS on the AOS Forum. I
think its in the affiliated society section, or another non-culture -
non-photo - non-hybrid part of the Forum.

K Barrett

. ..

Old 22-06-2007, 06:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

K Barrett wrote:

Like a bunch of goldarned taxonomists....

I've developed a theory that it isn't really the taxonomists behind all
of the changes that we've been seeing. There's really no money in it
for them. When you 'follow the money', you eventually have to come to
the *real* power that's backing making massive changes to every grex we
know.

I figure that it has got to be the manufacturers and vendors of blank
plant tags that are behind it all. ;-)

OrchidWiz CD K Barrett Orchids 61 15-12-2005 05:51 PM
New program: Orchidwiz Bill Orchids 9 21-11-2005 08:46 PM