GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Trick with Grammatophylum scriptum (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/160801-trick-grammatophylum-scriptum.html)

Bill[_3_] 26-06-2007 03:16 PM

Trick with Grammatophylum scriptum

Hi all, I guess most of you who grow Gram. scriptum know that it
usually blooms in June or shortly before or after. BUT that is only if
it is not allowed to go below 60* or so {it must be kept warm}. I do
shows in Florida which start in Aug and run through Mother's Day in
early May-- so I don't want it to bloom in summer when there are no
shows. I decided to try letting it go down below 40* to see what would
happen. BINGO-- it blooms later ---- AUG. to NOV. I have a lot of them
& naturally, they don't all bloom at once {also a plus} and as some of
you know, they don't always bloom annually-- some bloom every two
years & even beyond. The good news on them is: they grow many new
growths in the interim & thus become very large plants & prolific
bloomers 4-5-6 &more spikes with age. This is fairly easy to do-- a
caveman can do it-- OOOOPS-- didn't know you guys were still around.
Good growing, Bill