Old 08-07-2007, 02:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default What are you doing?

Been there done that! Had the same type of cooler & even coated the bottom
part with special rubberized
paint. You did a good job Kathy.

Well today is 7/7/07 & hoping our luck will change.
The bad luck started Memorial day like a "Domino Effect" when the hot water
copper pipe in the roof//attic sprung a leak.
It was a tiny hole & it was spraying the water towards the wall & down the
2x4's. The water slowly seeped down
under the hallway floor which started lifting!
My hubby is a good handyman & decided to fix the copper piping
himself. He set up a light in the attic, a
board to work on. I was getting the torch from my potting area & came back
to see this leg hang down from the
ceiling in the hallway!!! Anyway he was ok & as it turned out, he just cut
away more of the ceiling & could reach
the dread pipe with the hole in it. (Dust everywhere though)
Now he has never done drywall, so we decided to get it done. The
guy put in a new piece of ceiling about
4' x 8', did the mud thing etc. His charge was just the repair.
All the ceilings have this popcorn stuff!!!! We got a quote for the whole
house, this was too much.
My hubby was adament that he would remove the popcorn ceiling himself,
spray with water & it scrapes off.
So I suggested that maybe we just do the hallway & extension hallway first.
We put up plastic & used drop cloths but still somehow (More dust!)
Ok we clean up & have this ugly ceiling. "Don't worry dear there is
this special ceiling texture" That turned out
well & had to be painted.
We then decided that before doing the floor we may as well paint.
(More dust)
Anyway my son came home with a bad summer cold, gave it to my hubby on
Fathers Day then I got it, one who
never gets colds or flu! My house is nothing but dust!!!!
Long story short, Cee has just finished the floor & is busy putting up
new baseboards. Then comes
the big clean up. Oh & a little more touch up painting.
Cheers Wendy

"K Barrett" wrote in message
Apropos of nothing, but its been so quiet here I thought I'd say what Ive
been up to.

Fixing that dang ugly swamp cooler is what. I showed pix here last year,
I think.

I must have bought it 8-9 yrs ago and never - I mean never- did any sort
of maintainance to it. The cooling pads were completely encrusted in
CaCo3 crust even to the point it was creeping under the paint in a layer 3
mm thick. Over the years various home renovations created airborne dirt
and dust, which was sucked through the pads, making them a dirty, crusty
brick.

So, it came to pass that on the hottest day of the year (so far) with the
GH receiving little or no benefit from said swamp cooler, I chose to
replace the cool pads. The motor still works great, but the air through
the pads was only a few degrees cooler than ambient temperature. Indeed,
the GH in full sun was at the same temp as it was on my patio in the shade
(on July 4th that was 95F, might have been higher, I tend to block out bad
news). July 5th I found a hardware store that carried cooling pads, and
working in the horrid heat, for it never occurred to me not to - am I
stupid or what? - I set about tearing the cooling pads out of their
panels.

Luckily the metal holding the pads in place were totally corroded and
rusted so bending it open was easy work, many times bending it by hand.
The old disgusting pads fell away from teh panels and now the real work
began.

After several trips to the hardware store I finally got a wire brush that
mounted to my cordless drill to scrape the paint and CaCO3 away. An old
bottle of Naval Jelly helped a bit, replacing my 1st attempt to dissolve
the CaCO3 with vinegar. If I was smarter a layer of paint remover would
have moved the project forward faster. It was on one of these hardware
store trips that the man at the store said, 'you aren't working on this
*now* are you?' meaning wait till the sun goes down you idiot. But my
heat stroked countenance must had marked me as a liar when I answered 'Of
Course Not!'. He kindly allowed me to save face. (I have always depended
on the kindess of strangers.)

July 5th saw the 1st panel of 3 cleaned of CaCO3, the preponderance of
cruddy paint removed, a new layer of paint sprayed on, and the new pads
cut to size and installed. Placing that one panel back in the swamp
cooler at 8 PM dropped the GH temp 5 degrees in 2 minutes. Yes, the swamp
cooler was still running at 8PM. Interior temps (operating w/o one
panel - so it was sucking ambient air into the GH), had gotten to 100F
inside the gh. By 8PM the interior temp had dropped to 85. Installing the
one panel dropped it to 82, the thermostat's set point. July 6th saw the
second panel repaired in the same way, and today July 7th I'll complete
the project, which I've gotten pretty quick at, though the cordless drill
isn't happy. I think its suing for new rechargable batteries.

What are you doing this weekend?

K Barrett

Old 08-07-2007, 03:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Brought home my new BMW bike....

"?" wrote in message
g...
On Sat, 7 Jul 2007 07:43:15 -0700 in
K Barrett
wrote:

Ah the joys of trying to induce heatstroke.

Events since Canada Day started...
1) Cussed and swore at how bad Canada Day messes up traffic if you're
trying to get to the airport to head back to the US.
2) Started recovery and detox from the technical conference that had me
in Canada.
3) Picked up 42" walk behind mower from the 'rents on the 4th and mowed
the
lawn. Was quite amused that I was able to mow what normally takes 4-6
hours with a 21" push mower in 2 hours.
4) Watered herb garden
5) Recuperated from jogging behind the mower.
6) Looked at fridges, stoves, and tubs, while picking up replacements
for the perennials the puppy ate. Picked up low wire fencing to keep
puppy
out of perennials.
7) Placed perennials, put up fence, and watered herbs.
8) Picked and chopped herbs for spaghetti sauce to feed to the step kids
I haven't seen in 3 weeks as well as the wife and myself.
9) Started pondering the honeydo list of chicken coop, shower in the 2nd
bathroom, landscaping, greenhouse, tree removal, gutters, siding,
painting...
--
Chris Dukes
elfick willg: you can't use dell to beat people, it wouldn't stand up

Old 08-07-2007, 04:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Steve Wolstenholme wrote:
On Sat, 7 Jul 2007 08:09:08 -0700, "K Barrett"
wrote:

"Steve Wolstenholme" wrote in message
. ..

On Sat, 7 Jul 2007 07:43:15 -0700, "K Barrett"
wrote:

What are you doing this weekend?

Earlier today I changed 25% of the water in my big fish tank. Then I
sat out in the Sun for a hour. Now I will continue implementing all
the user requests in my software.

I don't know what I will be doing tomorrow - it's too far in the
future for my planning.

Steve

The aquarium water is good for your orchids!

K Barrett

I don't know. It's very alkaline for the Lake Tanganyika fish. Do
orchids like pH 8 ?

Steve

I don't dare use my fish water on the plants either. I raise only
guppies and I add a fair amount of salt to the water.

Steve (the other one)

Old 08-07-2007, 05:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

K Barrett wrote:

LOL! I *knew* there were good reasons why its been quiet around here.
However the leg-thru-the-ceiling story takes the cake!

I did that once and it wasn't even my house! When I was a kid, my
cousins showed me how they get into the attic from the garage. They
didn't mention that you can't walk on the upper side of a dry wall ceiling.
It must have been a shock for my parents, aunt, and uncle, who were all
in the kitchen, to see my leg appear out of nowhere.

Steve

Old 08-07-2007, 04:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 02:24:21 GMT in pVXji.298$475.91@trndny04 Ray B wrote:
Brought home my new BMW bike....

Oooh, is it one of the ultra stable beasts where you can get it up to
highway speeds, take your hands off the handle bars, give the
handlebar a good whack and nothing happens?
Just a warning, cops get real ****ed if the only reason they can catch
you is because you slowed down for traffic.
(No, I don't know this personally... anecdotes from a friend on the
left coast...).

Old 08-07-2007, 07:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Steve, I was in the real estate business for a good number of years. One day
I accompanied a home inspector whom I had not met before.He turned out to be
around 6'4 and built like steel - big shoulders. (You know my stature -
small!) He pulled down the attic stairs, which were really rickety.
Automatically, I reached out to steady the staircase. He looked down at me
as if I were absolutely off my rocker. I thought to myself, Well, what
exactly do you think you could do if this guy topples off that ladder? Uh, I
backed off. PS: He fell *up* the stairs!

Diana

Old 09-07-2007, 12:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Naaah.

I'd rather cruise at 45 all day than "crotch rocket" around.

Got my first bike (after a 35 year hiatus) about two years ago. Totaled it
last January. I've ALWAYS wanted a beemer, and this was a deal I couldn't
pass up.

Old 09-07-2007, 05:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Ray B wrote:
Naaah.

I'd rather cruise at 45 all day than "crotch rocket" around.

Got my first bike (after a 35 year hiatus) about two years ago. Totaled it
last January...........................................

Oh,oh,oh,oh,oh,oh,oh, don't do that! We need you here. Be careful!

Steve

Old 09-07-2007, 03:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

-mental note- never get a swamp cooler.

on 7/4 reduced and repotted five AV's. it was fairly traumatic. two
of them are still sulking.

thinned two pots of baby charismas.

made a pot of coconut thai sticky rice.

spent most of the weekend sweltering. too hot to do anything.

--j_a

Old 11-07-2007, 08:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
Others I know have used old koi
pond water for orchids. Amazing what one learns online.

That's what I use. I also use it on the garden and for assorted
houseplants.