GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Scale infestation pictures. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/161725-scale-infestation-pictures.html)

BruceM 15-07-2007 06:54 AM

Scale infestation pictures.

For all of the lurkers and new enthusiasts trying to glean information....
I never found really good pictures of this when I was researching my
infestation. Here are a couple for you to reference. I beleive these are
Boisduval scale .

http://home.roadrunner.com/~katkom/scale1.jpg
http://home.roadrunner.com/~katkom/scale2.jpg

from South Dakota State University
http://nathist.sdstate.edu/orchids/pests/scales.htm

http://nathist.sdstate.edu/orchids/p...ale%20male.jpg
http://nathist.sdstate.edu/orchids/p...0on%20leaf.jpg
http://nathist.sdstate.edu/orchids/p...0in%20axil.jpg

K Barrett 15-07-2007 03:35 PM

Scale infestation pictures.

Yep! That's them!! Thanks Bruce. Nice article on trewatment from South
Dakota State. too.

K Barrett

K Barrett 15-07-2007 03:37 PM

Scale infestation pictures.

The author of the S Dakota State article, Paul Johnson, posts here
occasionally IIRC. Or was it on teh OGD. Or maybe my brain just thinks it
recognizes the name.

K Barrett

eeyore 17-07-2007 01:26 AM

Scale infestation pictures.

Ok,

Now I'm confused. I always considered the little brown cones I found on
the bottom of leaves as scale. What is in these pictures looks to me more
like mealy bugs (though I'm sure I'm mistaken). Am I just seeing adults
while these are young scale? I did find it interesting that the males fly.
I always had what I thought were gnats.

Ray B 17-07-2007 01:51 AM

Scale infestation pictures.

There are several types of scale.

For us, the two most common are the "cones" of brown scale, and the
mealie-bug-looking boisduval scale.

BruceM 17-07-2007 04:07 AM

Scale infestation pictures.

As I understand it , the brown cones are the females, and the white fluffy
ones (looks like powdered sugar, cotton fluffs, or a tiny spider egg pouch
to me) are the males . The males do look a lot like mealybugs.

More experienced enthusiasts, please correct me if I am wrong.

[email protected] 17-07-2007 04:22 PM

Scale infestation pictures.

aieeEEEEEEEEE---!

--j_a

Diana Kulaga[_2_] 17-07-2007 08:51 PM

Scale infestation pictures.

Bruce, there are different types of scale. That white fluffy stuff is
Boisduval scale. I once spotted a creature on a Phal flower. It was small
and looked like powder or cotton. You could smear it with a Q-Tip or tissue.
Alcohol removed it. I wiped it off, but the next day several more had
replaced it. After taking photos and examining them, it was apparent that it
was some type of insect. But I was clueless as to what it was.

So, I posted a picture to trusty abpo and got the answer. It was "cottony
cushion scale". Scale was the last thing I would have thought of.

Diana

eeyore 18-07-2007 02:21 AM

Scale infestation pictures.

Boisduval scale, one villain I haven't been exposed to yet (and hope I never
am). Does brown scale also involve a flying phase? Are my flying invaders
harmless as I thought, or something more? Thanks again, appreciate
everyone's help, wish I could contribute, rather than picking everyone
else's brains.