Old 15-07-2007, 02:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Advice for phals

I have five phals in full bloom. Most are also growing new leaves and
most have roots growing on top of soil.

I understand the potting mixture tends to break down and should be
replaced regularly. How often? How often do I need to increase the
size of the pot. Sounds silly, but I'm running out of space and if I
have to get bigger pots for all five plants I'll have to get rid of
one, which I really don't want to do.

Another question: I tend to water my phals every 10 days or so but I
notice that the top of the soil get very dry. I've been misting the
top every few days. They seem to like it, but is that a good idea?

Finally: I have an oncidium that hasn't been in bloom for about 10
months. It's growing leaves like crazy and is also growing very fine
white roots. I have it in the same place with the phals. It gets
strong, filtered sun for about 5 hours in the morning. If that's not
enough light then I will have to let someone else adopt it. Should I
give it away or wait a little longer?

thanks!

Old 15-07-2007, 03:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"Jane" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have five phals in full bloom. Most are also growing new leaves and
most have roots growing on top of soil.

Congratulations. Those are good signs!

I understand the potting mixture tends to break down and should be
replaced regularly. How often?

The rule of thumb is every 2 years, but like every rule it can be broken.
If the medium is decomposing then you need to repot.

How often do I need to increase the size of the pot. Sounds silly, but I'm
running out of space and if I have to get bigger pots for all five plants

I'll have to get rid of one, which I really don't want to do.

When you repot you cut away any rotted dead roots. Use the pot size that
just accomodates the remaining root ball. Pot size is determined by what
you have left after trimming away the bad roots. I have a variety of pots
on hand when I repot so I can pick the appropriate one.

Another question: I tend to water my phals every 10 days or so but I
notice that the top of the soil get very dry. I've been misting the
top every few days. They seem to like it, but is that a good idea?

Personally, I don't like to mist, but your orchids are growing well for you
so if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Finally: I have an oncidium that hasn't been in bloom for about 10
months. It's growing leaves like crazy and is also growing very fine
white roots. I have it in the same place with the phals. It gets
strong, filtered sun for about 5 hours in the morning. If that's not
enough light then I will have to let someone else adopt it. Should I
give it away or wait a little longer?

Oncidiums generally bloom once a year, so if it hasn't bloomed in 10 months
you're OK. I'd think it will be blooming soon since its putting out new
growths and new roots. Blooms can't be far behind. But if it doesn't,
look at the color of its leaves. If they are a deep green, like a
philodendron's, then its not getting enough light to bloom. Generally
oncidiums require more light in order to bloom. It might want your strong
filtered light for more hours per day. That said, I'd keep an eye on it.
They may show up any day now. IIRC the flower spikes appear as the new whorl
of leves come up and as the new pseudobulb is forming, you'll see it arise
from the base of the new p/bulb.

Hope this helps,

K Barrett

Old 15-07-2007, 04:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Oncids usually want more light than phals. But many will adapt to the lower
light -- but possibly skipping a year or two in the process.

If you are as short on space as it sounds, you might want to trade in the
Oncid for another Phal or maybe a Paph, that will enjoy the shady
conditions, if it doesn't bloom for you within the next 2-3 months. Kenni

"Jane" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Advice needed on reblooming phals Sarah Orchids 5 26-12-2004 06:05 PM
Advice needed on reblooming phals. Sarah Orchids 12 17-12-2004 10:00 PM
Advice needed on reblooming phals. Sarah Orchids 0 14-12-2004 07:28 PM
Sulking phals Ted Byers Orchids 5 21-03-2003 03:56 PM
mini phals rajiv Orchids 18 18-02-2003 03:39 AM