Old 21-07-2007, 05:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default First bloom Phal. violacea

I have my first bloom from a flask of phal. violacea "Boden's Blue x
Orchidview "Gulfstream Blue" JC/AOS I bought January 2006.

I absolutely cannot believe the fragrance. I can taste the fireballs
when I smell it, concentrated cinnamon. T's eyes bugged out when he
first smelled it. Not what he expected.

The one with a bloom has 2 buds and ne of the sibs is developing a
spike.

Nancy

Old 21-07-2007, 09:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
al al is offline

Phal violacea ('Boden's Blue' x 'Gulfstream Blue', JC/AOS)?

That's a near cutting edge breeding line for blue flower color in Phal
violacea. Hopefully you will see flowers you can honestly call something
besides "dark purple". :-)

ups.com...

Old 21-07-2007, 10:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Photo is at

http://midwestorchids.com/orchid-growing-c1-0.html

Guess I should try ABPO again. I had a glitch registering and haven't
been back except to view pics of everyone's posts.

Old 22-07-2007, 04:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Jul 21, 6:51 pm, "Diana Kulaga"
wrote:
It's lovely, Nancy, very intense. I still want to see a true blue, though!
Keep us posted on the sibs, please?

Absolutely.

Thanks Al, I still didn't have the name quite right. Don't know where
to use parenthesis in some of the un-named plants. Whatever, I guess
this will be #1 until someone gets one awarded and registered. Will
keep you posted on 2-5 as they bloom.

Old 22-07-2007, 04:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Nancy G. wrote:
On Jul 21, 6:51 pm, "Diana Kulaga"
wrote:

It's lovely, Nancy, very intense. I still want to see a true blue, though!
Keep us posted on the sibs, please?

Absolutely.

Thanks Al, I still didn't have the name quite right. Don't know where
to use parenthesis in some of the un-named plants. Whatever, I guess
this will be #1 until someone gets one awarded and registered. Will
keep you posted on 2-5 as they bloom.

Was this a flask of clones or a flask of seedlings? If it was a flask
of seedlings you get to name each one because they are all individuals,
they are not clones of one individual. You can name them whatever you
want independent of whatever anyone else gets awarded and even inspite
of no awards.

There isn't anything to register becasue this isn't a hybrid, ie. a
cross of 2 different species. Its a species, a mating of 2 different
individuals of the same species.
Old 22-07-2007, 05:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Then Nancy can name her seedlings anything she wants. Phal violacea
'Nancy G' and Phal violacea 'RGO' come to mind..... *G*

danny wrote:
I don't think H.P. is selling any violacea clones, he has lots of the
seedlings for sale. Just checked his site and they have put up some
pictures of Phrag. (kovachii x besseae), looks interesting. Nice round
petals. http://www.orchidview.com
-danny

. ..

Old 22-07-2007, 05:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Was this a flask of clones or a flask of seedlings? If it was a flask
of seedlings you get to name each one because they are all individuals,
they are not clones of one individual. You can name them whatever you
want independent of whatever anyone else gets awarded and even inspite
of no awards.

They were listed at Orchidview as seedlings. I did find photo of one
at
http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3121

Trick of the light or culture, but the bloom on mine seems to be
shaded more darkly.
http://midwestorchids.com/phal-violacea-a756.html

There are differences between the two and I expect to see variance
between blooms on the rest of mine in the future. Hopefully one will
be more blue than dark purple. Either way, it's the first violacea
bloom I've had. They were out of season for the winter and spring
shows I attended. The fragrance surprised me.

There isn't anything to register becasue this isn't a hybrid, ie. a
cross of 2 different species. Its a species, a mating of 2 different
individuals of the same species.

Thanks. Time for me to slap the flat place on my forehead (again). I
knew that, just wasn't thinking.

Nancy

Old 25-07-2007, 02:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Jul 21, 5:12 pm, "Nancy G." wrote:
Photo is at

http://midwestorchids.com/orchid-growing-c1-0.html

ooh pretty! if i didn't reliably kill species, i'd want one.

--j_a

Old 26-07-2007, 12:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Interesting! I have a Phal Pulchra 'Magnificent Obsession' which was
given to me last year as a keiki by UK Disa enthusiast Mick Bee from
Hinckley and which now has three spikes on, the buds on one of which is
about to open. Am I right in thinking this is a variety of Phal
Violacea or even the same plant?

Peter Cliff
Warwick - England

Old 26-07-2007, 08:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

No, pulchra is an entirely different species (and a very nice one too). P.
violacea has a very distinct fragrance from the other phals, and the flowers
aren't as glossy as the ones on pulchra.
-danny

Old 27-07-2007, 01:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Hmm, so it will be interesting to see (and smell) what it is like when
it blooms. Thanks for the info.

Peter