Old 23-07-2007, 02:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default shipping questions

On another site I read a person wondered about shipping chocolate in
summer months. The factory rep responded that it cost $50 to ship a $24
order, so advised waiting till fall to order chocolate thru the mail.

Now, we don't wait to ship living organisms like orchids..... so what's
up with that?? Vendors commonly use cool/heat pads when they ship, and
I don't think they cost an additional $20-$25 does it?

K Barrett
Old 23-07-2007, 12:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

In winter, I add 1 or 2 heat packs, depending upon the size of the box. In
wholesale quantities, they're under $2 each. However, as they do have a
relatively short life, if the recipient is more than 2 days away by ground,
I upgrade them to 2-day Express service. With that, it might add that much.

In summer, when I know the packages will warm up, I thoroughly water the
plant before shipping (something to avoid in winter). That evaporative
cooling seems to do the trick. I do not charge for that.

Old 23-07-2007, 08:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Chocolate is tough to ship in summer, and can be difficult in winter too. I
forget what the actual word for this is, but what happens is that chocolate,
if kept too cold, gets that white coating on it. So you'd have to very
carefully pack it to create a cool but not cold environment. People don't
keep chocolate in the fridge, nor freeze it.

Diana

. ..

Old 24-07-2007, 12:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Hey....I love frozen chocolate. A frozen Reeces Peanut butter cup is great.
After holidays I often buy chocolate when it goes on sale (after
Easter/Christmas/etc.) and freeze it for months at a time. No problem.
When it's frozen you can't eat it very fast

Gene

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
Chocolate is tough to ship in summer, and can be difficult in winter too.
I forget what the actual word for this is, but what happens is that
chocolate, if kept too cold, gets that white coating on it. So you'd have
to very carefully pack it to create a cool but not cold environment.
People don't keep chocolate in the fridge, nor freeze it.

Diana

. ..

Old 24-07-2007, 12:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Peanut butter cups are different.......

Once you mix the chocolate with other ingredients, no prob. Chocolate ice
cream comes to mind.

It's not that the chocolate goes bad. It just loses texture. (Oh, jees, now
I'm getting a chocolate jones. Kathy, what have you started?) ;oD

Diana

"Gene Schurg" wrote in message
Hey....I love frozen chocolate. A frozen Reeces Peanut butter cup is
great. After holidays I often buy chocolate when it goes on sale (after
Easter/Christmas/etc.) and freeze it for months at a time. No problem.
When it's frozen you can't eat it very fast

Gene

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
Chocolate is tough to ship in summer, and can be difficult in winter too.
I forget what the actual word for this is, but what happens is that
chocolate, if kept too cold, gets that white coating on it. So you'd have
to very carefully pack it to create a cool but not cold environment.
People don't keep chocolate in the fridge, nor freeze it.

Diana

. ..

Old 24-07-2007, 01:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Mon, 23 Jul 2007 19:33:23 -0400, Diana Kulaga wrote:
Kathy, what have you started?) ;oD

I'm going for the Ben and Jerry's and Kahlua right now.

Bob

Old 24-07-2007, 03:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Kye Kye is offline

Now that's a feat!!!

Yours Sincerely
Kye
---
Webmaster
www.hardenhoney.com
www.hardenhoney.com.au
www.toplinetours.com.au
www.tummyteaser.com.au

. ..

Old 24-07-2007, 04:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default shipping questions & chocolate

Hi Kye, Your tour url does not work for me????
To K,
I heard something briefly about dark chocolate , that just a
1/2 ounce of the best
dark chocolate eaten daily was good for the ticker! Anyone read about this?
Only thing, I could not stop at half an ounce!!!!
Cheers Wendy
"Kye" wrote in message
Now that's a feat!!!

Yours Sincerely
Kye
---
Webmaster
www.hardenhoney.com
www.hardenhoney.com.au
www.toplinetours.com.au
www.tummyteaser.com.au

. ..

Old 24-07-2007, 07:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Dark chocolate is good for you! I've read that as well. And now you've all
done it. All we have in the house at the moment is white chocolate. I am now
going to eat it.

Diana

"Wendy7" wrote in message
Hi Kye, Your tour url does not work for me????
To K,
I heard something briefly about dark chocolate , that just
a 1/2 ounce of the best
dark chocolate eaten daily was good for the ticker! Anyone read about
this?
Only thing, I could not stop at half an ounce!!!!
Cheers Wendy
"Kye" wrote in message
Now that's a feat!!!

Yours Sincerely
Kye
---
Webmaster
www.hardenhoney.com
www.hardenhoney.com.au
www.toplinetours.com.au
www.tummyteaser.com.au

. ..

Old 25-07-2007, 12:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Jul 24, 11:40 am, "Wendy7" wrote:
Hi Kye, Your tour url does not work for me????
To K,
I heard something briefly about dark chocolate , that just a
1/2 ounce of the best
dark chocolate eaten daily was good for the ticker!....

Well, that's a simplified version of it.

The flavonols in high cocoa dark chocolates do reduce blood pressure.

You need to eat dark chocolate with at least 60% (IIRC) cocoa
content. I use Lindt's 85% cocoa chocolate. It might be a tad bitter
for some folks.

Non-dutch processed cocoa gives good results too, when made with water
to cut down on fats. The alkali used in "dutch" processing reduces the
effectiveness of the cocoa.

Milk chocolate and white chocolate (no cocoa content) are useless .

Hershey's is now selling high flavonol chocolates. I haven't tried
them yet.

A Carribbean tribe that was known for not suffering from high blood
pressure was one of the starting points for this research. It turned
out they drank an extremely bitter, high flavonol cocoa every day. If
they stopped drinking the cocoa---when they emigrated, for example---
they developed HBP as often as everybody else.

J. Del Col ( who has had his Lindt ration for the day)