Old 26-07-2007, 03:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default physan in water?

so i was flipping thru the new orchid digest last night and there was
a culture note in there about watering all the plants once a month
with a solution of one teaspoon physan per gallon of water, as a
preventive measure.

wisdom from the group? possible downsides? my plants are all in
bark, and sphag, or bark and sphag, with 2 in S/H.....
TIA

--j_a

Old 30-07-2007, 06:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Dang it!
I wrote this long drawn out explanation and my frickin poster was
disabled on this PC so it just chunked it into space.
So let me just say this.
I use Physon or the pool supply store equivalent every single month in
my propagation room cause it can grow super mold really fast (because
of the RO water and extremely high humidity)
I mist the older seedlings with 1 tsp per gallon as well as there pot
or mount and the walls and surfaces get 1 or more Tbl per gallon. For
the young seedlings I cut the 1 tsp solution down even more.
When I soak my moss before using I soak it in Physon as well.
Don't know about s/h but I don't think I have ever lost a seedling or
plant to Physon overdose (that's not to say you can't)

NOOK

Old 30-07-2007, 10:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

In addition to it's "-icidal" properties, Physan is a good surfactant.
Because that means that a medium will be wetted and absorb water better, it
would seem to me that frequent use might ultimately result in shorter-lived
media. With inorganic media, of course, that's no concern.

Old 30-07-2007, 03:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

interesting, interesting.... thx.

--j_a

Old 31-07-2007, 01:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

wrote in message
oups.com...
so i was flipping thru the new orchid digest last night and there was
a culture note in there about watering all the plants once a month
with a solution of one teaspoon physan per gallon of water, as a
preventive measure.

Isn't that how antibiotics and insecticides lost their effectiveness?

Old 31-07-2007, 07:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Isn't that how antibiotics and insecticides lost their effectiveness?

1 teaspoon/gallon is about half the strength of a normal dose of Physan, and
I'd think that once a month wouldn't be too much, but maybe the resident
chemists will chime in here. Also, one could vary the product. Maybe Physan
one month, Phyton the next, and so on. Just my 2 cents.

Diana

Old 31-07-2007, 09:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

it's starting to sound like this might be something i'd want to do
2-3x/yr maybe. i've had the odd plant get rot occasionally.

--j_a

Old 02-08-2007, 02:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
.. .
Isn't that how antibiotics and insecticides lost their effectiveness?

1 teaspoon/gallon is about half the strength of a normal dose of Physan,
and I'd think that once a month wouldn't be too much, but maybe the
resident chemists will chime in here. Also, one could vary the product.
Maybe Physan one month, Phyton the next, and so on. Just my 2 cents.

Diana

Half strength is even worse since the target pest can better survive to
produce resistance.

Old 02-08-2007, 02:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Very interesting NOOK, it's always good to know info like this, tried &
true, so to speak.
What is the pool product equivalent's brand name & do you dilute it more for
plant useage?
Thanks & Cheers,
Wendy

PHYSAN Dada Orchids 9 17-04-2004 07:45 PM
Physan & Orthene Q Diana Kulaga Orchids 9 22-03-2004 12:12 AM
Physan & Orthene Q Diana Kulaga Orchids 0 20-03-2004 11:15 PM
Physan gogs1 Orchids 3 23-11-2003 10:29 PM
start with something like physan or maybe a weak frank mitch newton bleach mix. fmn2 Orchids 0 09-08-2003 06:32 PM