Old 28-07-2007, 10:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
al al is offline

Default The opposite of shoplifting....

Today I caught my first shoplifter. Regular customers, a pair. Always come
in together. One of them starts photographing my plants and the other
presents me with a list of plants from my online catalog to gather for him
while he looks around. This is normal for the pair. Today while I am
gathering plants from the list I notice one of the guys carrying a plant
from my Paph bench in the greenhouse into the checkout area/potting room. A
few minutes later I notice it is not among the pile of plants I am
collecting for him and then spy it tucked inside the bin of large potting
mix hidden in a shadow. So I am watching.... During checkout one of them
wanted me to get another plant from the greenhouse and as I was going back
in there I glanced to see if the hidden plant was still in the potting bin.
It was. One of guys followed me into the greenhouse to take more pictures
and tried to talk to me but I hurried back into the checkout area. The
plant in the potting bin was gone and so was the guy who sent me back into
the greenhouse. I caught up with them (the plant and the guy) in the
parking lot as he was going around the corner of his van trying to keep the
plant he had hidden in the potting bin hidden from my line of sight by his
body but he was caught and he gave it back.

Well, I don't think these regulars will be regulars anymore. And I don't
want to talk about them anymore. It makes me feel icky.

What I wanted to talk about was the OPPOSITE of shoplifting. While these
two guys were here in my greenhouse doing their thing so was another couple
I see on a regular basis. This couple are friends, not just regular
customers. One of them sits on the "orchid widow bench" and knits socks and
hats while her husband looks around the greenhouse. (There is a bench in my
greenhouse for the non-orchid collector of the couples who come in. I can
always tell who the orchid collector is in the family by who DOESN'T
eventually sit down on the orchid widow bench).

This guy went nutty into orchids when he first got into them a few years ago
and he over-bought. I tried to warn him... I try to warn all my friends...
Anyway, he bought not just from my greenhouse, but from everywhere and
everybody. He bought some of everything. He used to come help me repot
orchids when I got behind and would not let me give him money. Very
eccentric, dude. Way back when I told him I knew the pattern and could see
the future....and that one day he was going to show up with his whole
collection and try to sell it to me and I was going to say no because that's
the rule: "I don't buy orchids back when people are done with them," and
that unwanted orchids belonged on the table at the local orchid society
meetings. That's what those monthly Orchid Anonymous meeting are
for....right?

I also have another strict rule, a corollary to the above rule: Plants left
in my greenhouse for any reason belong to me. Period. This rule may make
sense to some of you and seem rude to others, but it is how I separate MY
plants from all the orchids that try to come live in my greenhouse. All my
orchid collecting friends are well aware of my rule. Next time one of you
is shopping here and brings me a plant and asks how much it costs and I say,
"That's not for sale and I don't even remember which of my friends it
belongs to", you may understand the frustrated look on my face and the
reason for my rude rules. Nobody ever pays any attention to me and my
rules.

Anyway, now this guy with the huge orchid collection has gotten control of
the addiction and is quietly downsizing it to a more manageable level. To
accomplish this, every few weeks while the orchid widow distracts me with a
colorful ball of yarn he sneaks a few plants into my greenhouse and hides
them among my stock because, well...see above rules and portends.

It is an open secret. I am not suppose to notice. So far nobody has tried
to buy one and I have not had to face any of the ethical questions his
abandonment of his plants has created.

Anyway, to make a long story short....I don't know what to call him and his
strange habit... Today I had the Bizarro World experience of watching one
couple shoplift while another couple...what? Shopdropped?

Well, enough from me.

Old 29-07-2007, 12:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

This could only happen to you, Al. It gives new meaning to *shop 'til you
drop*. Anyway, since you caught the 'chidnappers, it appears that you have a
net gain.

Is this a good thing? Al, ever the altruist (albeit with very strange head
wear)!

Diana

Old 29-07-2007, 02:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Bloody thieves!!!! .......and premeditated too.
I think you should sik your wench on them !
Cheers Wendy

Old 29-07-2007, 02:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Wendy7 wrote:

Bloody thieves!!!! .......and premeditated too.
I think you should sik your wench on them !
Cheers Wendy

You/we are never going to let him live down that wench thing!

Old 29-07-2007, 09:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 15:02:18 -0400, "Diana Kulaga"
wrote:

The wench that keeps on giving.......

OUCH.....poor Ray....going to change your name to Dangerfield Ray?
"I Get No Respect"

LOL

"Steve" wrote in message
news
Wendy7 wrote:

Bloody thieves!!!! .......and premeditated too.
I think you should sik your wench on them !
Cheers Wendy

You/we are never going to let him live down that wench thing!

Dave Fouchey

Florence, SC

N34° 11' 36.40"

W79° 47' 6.85"

WA4EMR

Old 31-07-2007, 04:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 21:12:51 GMT, "Ray B"
wrote:

Ray who?

That was Al, not me.

I must learn NOT to post after wine coolers in the Afternoon
Garden...;-)

I blame it on MY Wench....she made me drink them yes she did!

Hey it's my story...
Dave Fouchey

Florence, SC

N34° 11' 36.40"

W79° 47' 6.85"

WA4EMR
Old 31-07-2007, 10:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I occasionally "suffer" from a similar malady.

An additional facilitator for me is a customer who happens to be an
oenologist and viniculturalist for a California winery. Every now and then
this box of bottles shows up at the door with goodies not typically
available to the public.

Old 31-07-2007, 11:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

The best SIMPLE drink recipe I've ever heard of is for a frozen margarita -
courtesy of the "Today Show", of all things:

Into a blender place 1 large can of frozen limeade.

Using the can as a measuring cup, mix 2:1 tequila and your favorite liqueur
(Triple sec is the standard, but I like Grand Marnier better). The original
recipe called for 1/2 tequila, 1/4 other, but I go 2/3 - 1/3.

Fill blender to the top with ice and let 'er rip.

Sit down before consuming - you'll end up there eventually anyway.

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
.. .
Cocktail recipes? I don't think I could outdo this group!!

. ..

Old 01-08-2007, 12:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

You're right on the mark, Ray. Of course, I would have expected nothing
less! Grand Marnier is the key. Triple Sec is for novices and touristas.

And, since you began with something tropical, let it be known that Coco
Lopez makes the very best Pina Colada.

And: Yellow Bird:

Orange juice, lemon Collins mix (not from a bottle, please!), vodka and
banana liqueur. Shake well. Substitute rum for the vodka if so inclined.

Hey, Kath - is it thread drift yet?

Diana

"Ray B" wrote in message
The best SIMPLE drink recipe I've ever heard of is for a frozen
margarita - courtesy of the "Today Show", of all things:

Into a blender place 1 large can of frozen limeade.

Using the can as a measuring cup, mix 2:1 tequila and your favorite
liqueur (Triple sec is the standard, but I like Grand Marnier better).
The original recipe called for 1/2 tequila, 1/4 other, but I go 2/3 - 1/3.

Fill blender to the top with ice and let 'er rip.

Sit down before consuming - you'll end up there eventually anyway.

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
.. .
Cocktail recipes? I don't think I could outdo this group!!

. ..

Old 01-08-2007, 02:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
al al is offline

Ever hear of a drink called a "Wet Noodle?" As in: "I am gonna hit all you
thread morphing winches with a 'wet noodle' until you beg for more...."

please note: in the above example 'winches' refers to multiple genders. In
point of fact, however many genders are necessary to cover all possible
option on this little planette of yours.

Al

"Ray B" wrote in message
The best SIMPLE drink recipe I've ever heard of is for a frozen
margarita - courtesy of the "Today Show", of all things:

Into a blender place 1 large can of frozen limeade.

Using the can as a measuring cup, mix 2:1 tequila and your favorite
liqueur (Triple sec is the standard, but I like Grand Marnier better).
The original recipe called for 1/2 tequila, 1/4 other, but I go 2/3 -
1/3.

Fill blender to the top with ice and let 'er rip.

Sit down before consuming - you'll end up there eventually anyway.

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
.. .
Cocktail recipes? I don't think I could outdo this group!!

. ..