Old 30-07-2007, 06:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Seedlings in oasis-like stuff??

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has noticed when repotting that some
plants seem to have been grown when very small in some spongy oasis-like
substance. It seems pretty durable and I've found it at the center of
the root mass of plants obviously 3-4 years old, maybe even older. It
seems to be a little less dense and airier than oasis, a little spongy
in fact. Anyone have any idea what this stuff is? I'm considering
testing it for small seedlings from compot and seeing how it works. But
I'd have to know what is is and where to get it first.
Old 30-07-2007, 10:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Tennis, it might simply be a lighter grade of Oasis, or non-name brand.

I bought some at a craft store as an experiment when I last had a batch of
flasks to pot up, and yes, it did seem less dense than the Oasis I
remembered from flower arrangements. While the seedlings did take to it
readily, I found that they were quick to succumb unless they received a lot
of warmth and air movement, so that the cubes dried very rapidly.

Old 02-08-2007, 05:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I have an oncidium( 'Jeri Leemaks')plant mounted on a slab of oasis. It is
only doing so-so, but it was on it way out before it was mounted so it might
be doing better than it was. The moss on it is doing great. It does dry
out very fast though.

"tennis maynard" wrote in message
I'm sure I'm not the only one who has noticed when repotting that some
plants seem to have been grown when very small in some spongy oasis-like
substance. It seems pretty durable and I've found it at the center of the
root mass of plants obviously 3-4 years old, maybe even older. It seems to
be a little less dense and airier than oasis, a little spongy in fact.
Anyone have any idea what this stuff is? I'm considering testing it for
small seedlings from compot and seeing how it works. But I'd have to know
what is is and where to get it first.

Oasis (the flower arranging medium) Another John United Kingdom 14 28-06-2018 11:56 AM
Oasis Tronic for blanket weed? Adrian Underwood Ponds 1 01-08-2006 10:04 AM
Turnip Oasis shazzbat United Kingdom 0 29-06-2003 10:56 PM
Lost Swamp ((Oasis) roses Cynthia Donahey Ponds 0 27-03-2003 01:44 AM
oasis planting strips for seedlings and cuttings PBarnes149 Gardening 0 25-03-2003 01:44 AM