Old 03-08-2007, 11:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Den speciosum

Gee...I don't understand. There are 28 hours in a day in my greenhouse.
Those 4 extra hours really make it easy to get all the stuff done that I
want to do.

Gene

"Ray B" wrote in message
Knowing not to do it is not the problem. Having the time to spend on
"individuals" is.

"Gene Schurg" wrote in message
What works for me is to put a blue tag in the pot to indicate "do not
water". Then I group all the dry stuff together on the same shelf. That
group seems to be growing with the nobiles, catesetums, cycnoches, etc.

Gene

"Ray B" wrote in message
I will definitely give it a try, Gene, although I have a hard time
singling-out plants for individual culture.

"Gene Schurg" wrote in message
Ray,

After seeing the pics on abpo I would think it's time for you plant to
have a nice cold winter and dried out. That may be what it takes to
make it bloom.

Gene

"Ray B" wrote in message
Rod Venger gave me a seedling many moons ago. It's in a basket, hung
up with the vandas, and growing bigger by the 'bulb (they're at
18"-20" now), but still no flowers.

"Pat Brennan" wrote in message
g.com...
Not good, not good. I have a couple of flasks worth of plants of Den
speciosum X Den Ira Butler that I was hoping to start seeing flowers
on this winter. They already are the largest plants in my Den
section. Sounds like it might be a few more years; more repotting and
larger pots. My question is just how cold do they need to get to set
spikes. I am growing them in a greenhouse which does not go below 62
F. The kingianum and its hybrids bloom fine in this greenhouse. I
have a couple of flasks of Den speciosum X Den Ivory in 3 inch pots
and am wondering if I should cut and run. There is always room for
one more plant in the compost pile.

Pat