GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Sunlight Question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/162644-sunlight-question.html)

[email protected] 04-08-2007 04:42 PM

Sunlight Question

Hi, I'm new to planting orchids. I want to have them indoors. The
only place I can put them however is really sunny in the afternoon,
during the mornings and evening there's very little lighting. So I
was wondering if I need to give it artificial lighting and if so what
kind are people using.

Thanks,

hbuiics125

Diana Kulaga[_3_] 04-08-2007 07:31 PM

Sunlight Question

You'll need to give us more information. What kind of orchids do you have,
for example? Orchids are not monolithic; different types have different
lighting needs. How shady does it get in the morning?

Diana

ups.com...

unknown[_1_] 04-08-2007 08:22 PM

Sunlight Question

or, what types do you want? they go from requiring extremely high light
(think: equatorial) down to my luidisia discolor that gets the vapors if
it gets *any* direct sun. i'm in the low light group on here myself
(have primarily phals and a few slippers and the odd catt & den), but i
would think cattleya and dendrobium would work in a western window.
where are you located? (vermont? florida? your afternoon sun may be
very different from someone else's.)

and they tell me these orchid things are kind of addictive; you *sure*
you want to get yourself into this? ;-)

--j_a