Old 06-08-2007, 03:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default My Tolumnia won't bloom

Hi,

I have had a Tolumnia Golden Glow for probably five years now. It's growing
like crazy but I can't get the darn thing to bloom. Awhile back, I divided
it and put half in a clay pot with Prime Agra clay pellets and mounted the
other half on a tree fern slab. The pot is right next to a western facing
window and the mount is about a foot away from the same window. They're
equally happy. I assume it's a light issue? I like this window because
it's in a place where I remember to water them regularly as they dry out
quickly. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Chris

Old 06-08-2007, 07:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Aug 5, 10:59 pm, "Chris Ridge" wrote:
Hi,

I have had a Tolumnia Golden Glow for probably five years now. It's growing
like crazy but I can't get the darn thing to bloom. Awhile back, I divided
it and put half in a clay pot with Prime Agra clay pellets and mounted the
other half on a tree fern slab. The pot is right next to a western facing
window and the mount is about a foot away from the same window. They're
equally happy. I assume it's a light issue? ...

Yes, tolumnias need a -lot- of light to bloom.

J. Del Col

Old 06-08-2007, 09:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I haven't seen your window, but 99x of 100, the reason a healthy mature
orchid grows well but won't bloom is insufficient light.

Sometimes the plants will adapt to the lower light in a couple years and
then resume blooming, but after 5 years, I think you're past that point ...
Kenni

Old 06-08-2007, 10:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Rob Rob is offline

Well, I have a few (maybe a hundred) tolumnias now. I love the little
guys, they are rapidly becoming my favorite group and they are very
rewarding plants to grow. I agree largely with the more light
suggestion, but I have a few more suggestions. Proper nutrition is also
important, without the right food it doesn't matter how much light you
give the plant. Some might bloom anyway, but it won't be optimal. I
fertilize with a dilute fertilizer at almost every watering. Also, up
here in the north country tolumnia are somewhat seasonal. I get best
blooming from late February through May, with repeat blooming (off of
old spikes or newly initiated spikes) throughout the rest of the year.
To me this seems to indicate that a brief cool period might enhance
spike formation (but isn't strictly necessary), although that is an
artful guess, not science. You may wish to try a period of enhanced
diurnal temperature range (say, down to 55-60 at night, 80+ during the day).

For me, tolumnias seem to bloom wherever I put them in the greenhouse.
I honestly don't know why, and I don't think it is skill (probably
neglect, benign or otherwise). Most are housed in the 'corner of death'
(TM) which is insanely bright and hot in the summer, and bright and
modestly warm in the winter. But, I also bloom them interspersed with
the minicatts and even on benches which are mainly phrags. I don't
think those spaces are getting nearly as much light as the corner of
death. All that said, there are some plants that never bloom. I blame
genetics. If you have given the plant as much light as you can possibly
give it, it is growing well and is happy, and it still hasn't bloomed
within a year, it is time for the dumpster or the raffle table. As an
aside, I select my 'keepers' based on floriferousness more than any
other quality. If they don't have _lots_ of flowers and multiple
spikes, they don't last long in the collection. Flower size and quality
are indeed important, but even a modest flower is truly spectacular when
presented on 6 or 7 spikes with 20 flowers per.

Rob

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1

Old 07-08-2007, 01:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

All that said, there are some plants that never bloom. I blame genetics.

And therein lies a tale, for sure. There are indeed plants which are simply
drones. Then again, I have given away plants that would not bloom for me,
only to see them adore their new owners and jump for joy. After 5 years, I
would have no more patience - let alone space - for a drone. I think I would
give that Tol. as much light as possible for a reasonable amount of time,
and then, if it doesn't bloom, ditch it in favor of something more
rewarding.

Diana

"Rob" wrote in message
[...]

getting nearly as much light as the corner of death. If you have given

Old 07-08-2007, 01:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Please forgive me (especially you Aussies)... I don't know where this came
from.

"My tolumnia just won't bloom.
My tolumnia just won't bloom,

I moved the thing all over the place,
Misted it 'til I was blue in the face.

I'm a big disgrace to the orchidgrowing race,
My tolumnia just won't bloom."

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
I don't have many, but the ones I have are mounted and hang *under* the
Vandas. They grow and bloom like crazy.

Diana

oups.com...

Old 07-08-2007, 03:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Thanks for the advice everyone! I'll try moving it to my brightest window
and keep up with the fertilizing.

Chris

Tolumnia in bloom Wendy7 Orchid Photos 2 11-06-2009 11:56 PM
Tolumnia Sundown Reef 'Spotted Ewok' tenman Orchid Photos 2 20-04-2008 02:32 AM
Tolumnia Drum Village Reef Wendy7 Orchid Photos 1 10-03-2008 07:53 PM
Tolumnia Drum Village Reef Wendy7 Orchid Photos 2 09-03-2008 04:15 PM
Tolumnia Midas (peloric) wendy7 Orchid Photos 0 02-01-2007 02:42 AM