Old 08-08-2007, 12:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Taxo troubles. Chaos ahead.

Get ready for mass confusion. I rec'd the following today from Alex at
OrchidWiz. I can post this as originally rec'd if you like. I converted it
to plain text for this ng, so the links are not showing. Aren't orchid
people insane enough on our own without the Taxos piling on?

DK

OrchidWiz Alert: Name Changes

We would like to bring to your attention a recent change in genus names in
the International Register of Orchid Hybrids maintained by the RHS. The
change stems from the separation of Rhyncholaelia from Brassavola;
Guarianthe from Cattleya; the change from Brazilian Laelias to Sophronites;
and the separation of Schomburgkia into Myrmecophila and Laelia.

The changes to Laeliinae species caused a massive domino effect throughout
hybrid nomenclature, impacting many thousands of crosses. The transformation
is drastic and inescapable. To give you some examples of popular hybrids
affected:

Brassolaeliocattleya Goldenzelle in now Rhynchosophrocattleya Goldenzelle
(click link to see)
Sophrolaeliocattleya Hazel Boyd is now Guarisophleya Hazel Boyd
Cattleytonia Why Not is now Guaritonia Why Not
Laeliocattleya Trick or Treat is now Sophranthe Trick or Treat
Cattleya Chocolate Drop is now Cattlianthe Chocolate Drop
Brassocattleya Maikai is now Brassanthe Maikai
Brassolaeliocattleya Momilani Rainbow is now Thwaitesara Momilani Rainbow
Brassolaelia Morning Glory is now Brassonitis Morning Glory
Brassolaeliocattleya Golden Tang is now Marriottara Golden Tang
Epilaeliocattleya Don Herman is now Epicatanthe Don Herman
Otaara Jane Fumiye is now Peetersara Jane Fumiye
The new nomenclature in effect obsoletes all currently-published orchid
databases. OrchidWiz has already incorporated the changes into Encyclopedia
4.01 (the September update) which will start shipping in the next few days.
The new version will include thousands of new registrations as well as the
June AQ. Please note all existing awards, contributed photos and other
historical data will remain under the old names which will be "aliased"
(linked) to the new names.

If you subscribe to the Annual Maintenance Plan you will be receiving the
update in the mail within a week or two. From now on we are holding all new
orders of 4.0 (or upgrades to 4.0) until the new software ships.

We thank you for your patience on this matter. If you have questions,
comments or concerns, please contact .

Best wishes,

- The team at OrchidWiz

Old 08-08-2007, 03:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I thought something like this was going to happen once Tennis mentioned
Otaara was now Petersara. I just looked at the RHS hybrid lists and can't
see any mention of these changes other than the formation of a group to look
into registration changes. (Joyce Stewart, Tom Sheehan etc) So I guess these
are going to happen.

K Barrett

Old 08-08-2007, 04:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Diana Kulaga wrote:
[...]

This seems both premature and ill-informed; usually the RHS is slow to
change and certain of the necessity. Very few, if anyone, accepts the
idea that was proposed by two authors of one article that the brazilian
laelias should be sophronitis. Far more people, including taxonomists,
think they should either stay laelia, or more often, should be included
in cattleya.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

tenman wrote:
Diana Kulaga wrote:

[...]

And from what I understand, even if the changes from soph/laelia go thru
there will be further splitting into smaller subdivisions.... so WTF?

K Barrett
Old 08-08-2007, 03:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Rob Rob is offline

This seems both premature and ill-informed; usually the RHS is slow to
change and certain of the necessity. Very few, if anyone, accepts the
idea that was proposed by two authors of one article that the brazilian
laelias should be sophronitis. Far more people, including taxonomists,
think they should either stay laelia, or more often, should be included
in cattleya.

Plus, even if you do accept the new taxonomy (I can see some merits in
it), that doesn't mean we need to go all nuts and change the names for
registration. There are horticultural names and scientific names, we've
been keeping track of that in orchids since day 10 or so. Did anybody
change the name of all the Rhyncholaelia digbyana crosses right away?
No, and we were just fine. That is just one example.

I find this whole name change thing to be ill conceived at best, and a
terrible idea at worst. Or perhaps best and worst at the same time.

Rob

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1

Old 08-08-2007, 04:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

This is how I see it. . . . . . There is this group of
people=taxonomists=folks that sit around
with nothing to do but clump & split. I want to know why do they have to
change the names?
It has taken me ten years to get used to the different genera & all the
hybrid crosses & names that I have.
I personally think they are egotists & want their naming on the
books!!!!
Now I am not going to change my tags, maybe add another coloured one to show
new names.
Cheers Wendy

Old 08-08-2007, 05:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
al al is offline

I am so tired, so very tired. I just can't keep up anymore. There is no
easy solution.

I would keep an eye on the official RHS database record to track changes.
They are the single authority and all other compilations are drawn from the
RHS data. Its a shame that searching a tag name in these databases will
just get more confusing than it already is.

For what it's worth, I would like to see some new fields in all these
databases that cross reference old names with new names. That would add
value to the product for sure. It is a certain bet that the RHS will not do
this; they will publish it once in the corrigenda and assume everybody knows
how to research. Just changing the names in the databases to reflect
current thinking without any cross reference to old names is caca. We might
as well just start making up our own hybrid grex names like they already do
in some orchid exporting countries...

Old 08-08-2007, 05:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

i'm sitting here with a stack of internal revenue cumulative
bulletins on my desk, trying to update and change some cites in a
book--i thought *those* were tough on the renaming/cross referencing
thing--! oi. they got nothing on this orchid naming business.

i'm just going to keep calling 'em all Fred.

--j_a

Old 08-08-2007, 06:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

No good. I'll try to find time to post the individual links in a while.

Diana

Old 08-08-2007, 07:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default RHS Links Taxo troubles. Chaos ahead.

Here are the links that were in Alex's original email. Just a few examples.
Anyone have a clue how we would go about renaming all our plants, should we
choose to do that? I'm thinking I'm with JA. Fred it is.

Diana

http://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/registe...s.asp?ID=45079

http://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/registe...s.asp?ID=70624

http://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/registe...s.asp?ID=72554

http://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/registe...s.asp?ID=75682

http://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/registe...s.asp?ID=72296

http://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/registe...s.asp?ID=32331

http://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/registe....asp?ID=101451

http://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/registe...s.asp?ID=18657

http://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/registe...s.asp?ID=76248

http://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/registe....asp?ID=104791

http://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/registe...s.asp?ID=68580

Old 08-08-2007, 07:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
al al is offline

You can call them whatever you want, but if you want them to respond, you
must call them Fred.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Note to everyone: Don't make any changes yet. This is not cast in stone,
or not as cast in stone as the RHS may want you to think. I understand
there will be some papers given at the WOC in Miami lumping instead of
splitting. And ,as Rob says, the taxonomic names may differ from registrered
hybrid names. So the Fat Lady hasn't sung yet.

K Barrett

news

Old 08-08-2007, 09:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

OrchidWiz keeps track of synonyms. I know the AOS Plus will too, but they
ain't out yet.

I have no affiliation with Orchid Wiz or AOS Plus.

K Barrett