Old 11-08-2007, 03:31 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Phal Secondary Bloom

I once read that you can encourage a secondary blooming on a phal but
cutting it just above the second node from the bottom. I did this and it's
been about 6-8 weeks with no sign of the spike growing again. Should I just
cut the spike all the way to the bottom?

Thanks.

Maddie

Old 11-08-2007, 10:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

As long as the spike is green there is always a chance. More than likely the
blooms won't be as many or as large but hey it's better than nothing.

Some that I let send off a secondary spike I try my hand at pollinating to
see if I can get a seed pod. One of my favorite Phals with very large - 5"
across - white flowers I did this and now have three seed pods. What I'm
going to do with them I haven't decided yet. I don't think I will go to the
trouble of try to grow them in a flask.

Old 12-08-2007, 06:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

What about keiki growth? I generally cut the spike off unless it looks like
a growth might be forming on the spike. I've never had a plant form a keiki
off the spike yet. If the growth turns out to be a new spike I do cut them
off - unless I feel the need to experiment.

Old 12-08-2007, 10:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Our philosophy is pretty much in line with Ray's. As an addition: if you
are going to encourage, or even allow, those secondary blooms, then you need
to get religious about fertilizing -- flowers use up a lot of energy. Phals
probably don't do this in the wild, but those in cultivation are sometimes
stupid enough to bloom themselves to death. "We" bred that trait in, I
think -- along with hip dysplasia in large purebreed dogs, etc., etc. Kenni

Old 13-08-2007, 01:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

OK Never let it be said that I never help out around here

Run, do not walk, to find your video camera.

Film yourself cutting the Phal spike in the appropriate place to a)
encourage branching then b) where to cut it away completely.

Post it to YouTube

Provide a link on your web page to said video.

Newbies the world over will thank you.

Considering the crap that's on You Tube I'd imagine the providers might
actually enjoy housing relevant data.

I already ran this idea past my society board, and they looked at me asking
'You Tube???' [blank looks all around]

I wrote this idea in an article to the AOS (which actually may be published
in the AQ). So you have to bow in abeyance to me whenever you use this
method of instruction. (*G*)

I tried pinging Greg Allikas to pass this idea along to him but he never
responded to the ping.

Take the idea and run with it. Inshallah.

K Barrett
(bows deeply)

Old 13-08-2007, 07:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

So you have to bow in abeyance to me whenever you use this method of
instruction. (*G*)

As in held in abeyance? Seriously, that's a great idea.

Diana