Old 12-08-2007, 10:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Ideal humidity levels?

I have never really had much choice about humidity levels ,as you will know
in summer you damp down and on hot days it dries so quickly as you have to
open the greenhouse up to get the temp to a lower level.So that is the way
it is!Last week my humidity was well below 40,one of my dials was reading
zero!But since installing a hydrofogger and humidisat i can give the plants
more humidity.But is leaving me with the question of how much is enough ,i
have been setting the fogger at 75 % ,this is giving me between 70/80
throughout the greenhouse.I am still tweaking the setup with how much to
leave the door open to get the temp right also.From info on the net my
levels seem too high and with the fogger moisture is all over the plants so
i have got to get the balance right.I am thinking of leaving the door open
at night to lower humidity ,but am reluctant to do so due to vermin getting
in.
So any of you out there with a fogger,can you give me a head start with your
experience,what do you do?.The plants do get wetter than i thought they
would,its a jungle in there!
Thanks Keith

Old 12-08-2007, 11:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Keith, I don't think there is one "ideal" humidity level for a mixed
collection, which is what most hobbyists have.

We have never tried to control ours, the plants take what Ma Nature gives
'em except for the few nights a year when we have to heat, and some VERY
light, diffuse misting, mid-day, on the hottest summer days (south Florida).

Nonetheless, I think most plants would better tolerate lower day-time
humidity than being wet in the evenings and nights. If the foliage is not
dry by the time your afternoon temps start falling, towards your overnight
lows, you are inviting fungus and bacteria attacks. Kenni