Old 20-08-2007, 07:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Chewing Critters

Nope. The one I caught eating the orchid was about 2' long and all bright
spring green. The lubber isn't shown to be in TN.

Huh. When I was googling it, I found references to TN. Also, the Lubber goes
through color stages and it does reach 2". Oh, well. Maybe a rabbit like Sue
mentions below.

Diana

Old 20-08-2007, 08:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Thanks Chewing Critters

Thanks to all, especially Wendy and the Manellis, for chiming in. I stalked
the critters at 11 last night, and was gratified to find and savagely destroy
two slugs! Now I just hope they were the only ones; I spread metaldehyde on
the GH floor around the air intake vent.

Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
Nikon D200

Old 21-08-2007, 01:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
SuE SuE is offline

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 12:42:56 -0700, tbell wrote:

Thanks to all, especially Wendy and the Manellis, for chiming in. I stalked
the critters at 11 last night, and was gratified to find and savagely destroy
two slugs! Now I just hope they were the only ones; I spread metaldehyde on
the GH floor around the air intake vent.

Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
Nikon D200

Slugs are snails -- if you squished them you just seeded the entire
location and everywhere you walk. They are hermaphrodites and self
fertilize. So I hope you used another method of dispatch.

SuE
Old 21-08-2007, 02:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
.. .
Nope. The one I caught eating the orchid was about 2' long and all bright
spring green. The lubber isn't shown to be in TN.

Huh. When I was googling it, I found references to TN. Also, the Lubber
goes through color stages and it does reach 2". Oh, well. Maybe a rabbit
like Sue mentions below.

Diana

You will find contradictory information online. I'm not surprised. The
drought and 100f temps here have done in so much of the vegetation I think
these insects are getting desperate for juicy food.

Old 21-08-2007, 02:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"SuE" wrote in message
On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 19:29:57 -0500, "Manelli Family"
wrote:

This insect chewed right through the Den' flower stalk, leaving the
flowers and buds laying there on the floor. I could have cried.

Are you sure you do not have a rabbit with a fondness for flower
stalks? Rabbits are noted for cutting off the stem and letting it
fall.

Rabbits can't get up on the porch. I SAW the grasshopper. I was on a
nearby leaf. Today I spotted a small Praying Mantis on one of the orchids
and left it alone.

On the other hand - when we got grasshoppers they came in as tiny fry
and would eat the leather leaf of a full sized catt with out blinking.
By that time they were big enough for Diana's descriptions. But I
never saw them until they were as big as my thumb, only the damage.
SuE

Beautiful pics on your website by the way. :-)

Old 21-08-2007, 04:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

SuE wrote:

Slugs are snails -- if you squished them you just seeded the entire
location and everywhere you walk. They are hermaphrodites and self
fertilize. So I hope you used another method of dispatch.

I used to believe that. I'm not so sure anymore. Sure, if the squashed
slug or snail contained eggs that were mature, a very few might survive
the squishing and hatch out. Immature eggs aren't going to grow up and
hatch just being there on the floor.

Old 21-08-2007, 05:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
SuE SuE is offline

On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 23:24:37 -0400, Steve wrote:
I used to believe that. I'm not so sure anymore. Sure, if the squashed
slug or snail contained eggs that were mature, a very few might survive
the squishing and hatch out. Immature eggs aren't going to grow up and
hatch just being there on the floor.

I just know it works with Bush snails. As soon as I quit Squishing --
the population was easier to control. Less new ones were there
each time. The only difference on my controls was tossing them in the
indoor wastebasket rather than squishing in the gh with my fingers.

What works -- Works.
SuE