Old 17-08-2007, 02:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Mottled leaf paphs.

I have a Paph Magic Lantern I'd dearly love to see bloom once before I die.
I bloomed it last in 1996 - 7, somewhere in there...

It grows but doesn't bloom. I think I saw a bud last year but I top watered
and it damped off. Leaf span is about 5 inches, tip to tip. It sits
relatively close to the swamp cooler, so highs may be about 80-85, lows
about 60 at night in summer to 52-55 in winter. Cattleya light. I've been
good about feeding and watering weakly weekly this year. Humidity 50-70%.
Evenly moist mostly. Potted in fine bark (3:1, bark: #3 perlite) in plastic
pot, not over potted. I repotted in April, roots had good growing tips.
(yellow? I htink they were yellow but don't quote me.)

Magic Lantern is micranthum x delenatii

K Barrett

What am I doing wrong?

Old 17-08-2007, 03:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

K Barrett wrote:
I have a Paph Magic Lantern I'd dearly love to see bloom once before I die.
I bloomed it last in 1996 - 7, somewhere in there...

It grows but doesn't bloom. I think I saw a bud last year but I top watered
and it damped off. Leaf span is about 5 inches, tip to tip. It sits
relatively close to the swamp cooler, so highs may be about 80-85, lows
about 60 at night in summer to 52-55 in winter. Cattleya light. I've been
good about feeding and watering weakly weekly this year. Humidity 50-70%.
Evenly moist mostly. Potted in fine bark (3:1, bark: #3 perlite) in plastic
pot, not over potted. I repotted in April, roots had good growing tips.
(yellow? I htink they were yellow but don't quote me.)

Magic Lantern is micranthum x delenatii

K Barrett

What am I doing wrong?

Get it cold. 45-40 degrees F. One of our speakers last year was
discussing his greenhouse, which he keeps at about 40 degree nights in
the winter for his disas and dormant terrestrials. He mentioned that he
does have some parvi paphs - which bud and bloom for him as a result of
his cold nights. I've tried it and had some success. I also believe a
number of them have a drier winter - not dry like a catasetum of course
but not as wet as the rest of the year. Try getting them cold and not as
wet, then when watering increases in the late winter/early spring, maybe
you'll get lucky and get a flower spike.

Old 17-08-2007, 11:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

We don't do anything special for ours, and they certainly don't get any 40F
nights, because we heat to 52F (the current compromise between leaf drop on
the vandas and the gas bill) on the few nights a year that we do have to
heat.

They do get a drier winter, but only because everything else in the
shadehouse does, too, we don't do enough of them to fill a full watering
zone.

They don't bloom as often for us as they do for the Hawaiians, but we
generally do get at least once, and sometimes 2x/year. Kenni

. ..

Old 17-08-2007, 11:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

tbell wrote:
On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 18:47:51 -0700, K Barrett wrote
(in article ):

I have a Paph Magic Lantern I'd dearly love to see bloom once before I die.
I bloomed it last in 1996 - 7, somewhere in there...

FWIW, Kath, I have a Paph DePerle which has bloomed regularly at higher
daytime temps than yours. It's in S/H in a shaded section of the GH, and mist
it on hot mornings. On the other hand, I bought a Spicerianum from Andy in
2/04, which like yours has grown well without blooming.

I figure I don't dare die until all of my plants have bloomed at least once
-sort of like the Winchester Mystery House!

Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
Nikon D200

Funny, my spicerianum blooms for me. I guess there's no pleasing these
things, LOL!

Old 18-08-2007, 12:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 18:47:51 -0700, K Barrett wrote
(in article ):

I have a Paph Magic Lantern I'd dearly love to see bloom once before I die.
I bloomed it last in 1996 - 7, somewhere in there...

FWIW, Kath, I have a Paph DePerle which has bloomed regularly at higher
daytime temps than yours. It's in S/H in a shaded section of the GH, and mist
it on hot mornings. On the other hand, I bought a Spicerianum from Andy in
2/04, which like yours has grown well without blooming.

I figure I don't dare die until all of my plants have bloomed at least once
-sort of like the Winchester Mystery House!

Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
Nikon D200

Tomato problems: potato leaf vs, regular leaf (cut leaf?) Joanne Edible Gardening 7 17-03-2005 08:53 PM
Help! Brown spots on deflasked Paphs Elpaninaro Orchids 3 14-04-2003 03:44 PM
Problem with Paphs TRAINMAN9 Orchids 1 16-03-2003 05:32 AM
Paphs in Vietnam, where to buy(markets)? Jonathan Phua Orchids 3 20-02-2003 11:03 AM
paphs v. phrags Cardigan Orchids 2 12-02-2003 11:25 AM