Old 27-08-2007, 01:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Sunday

I spent a nice day in the GH washing algae off the floor (the floor is red
cement bricks) and watering and fertilizing. I'm happy to announce that a
peach colored Rhy gigantea has decided to put out a new leaf and a new root.
No flowers but hey, as Aaron Hicks always used to say, "grow good roots and
flowers can't be far behind." Or at least I think it was Aaron Hicks....
And a red V. Fuchs Delight just *may* be starting a spike.

I'm also bummed that my seedling of (Blc Pokai Queen x ??Treasures of
Bogota) isn't flowering as nice as the parents. (I use ?? 'cause I can't
rememeber if the second one is a Blc or an Lc and I dont' want to look it
up.) I'll put a pic at apbo. I waited 5 years for that to bloom. Not that
I'll kick it out of the gH.

Old 27-08-2007, 02:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

KB,

Don't you just hate those Rhy gigantea? I finally have an alba form that
seems to be thriving. The other dozen or so I have had in my collection
have died a slow and painful death. The one that is thriving is the first
one to actually send out new roots. Others have put out leaves but no new
roots. I have one that is about 6 years in my care that has never grown any
roots and puts out only a leaf a year and not a big one at that!

I cleaned algae with the power washer last week.

Good growing,
Gene

. ..

Old 27-08-2007, 03:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I can't figure what it wants. I finally have started growing it next to my
phals. Low light , sl warmer. But who knows. *G*.

Power wash.... now there's the ticket! I need to get me one of those
things!

"Gene Schurg" wrote in message
KB,

Don't you just hate those Rhy gigantea? I finally have an alba form that
seems to be thriving. The other dozen or so I have had in my collection
have died a slow and painful death. The one that is thriving is the first
one to actually send out new roots. Others have put out leaves but no new
roots. I have one that is about 6 years in my care that has never grown
any roots and puts out only a leaf a year and not a big one at that!

I cleaned algae with the power washer last week.

Good growing,
Gene

. ..

Old 27-08-2007, 06:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Aug 26, 8:40 pm, "K Barrett" wrote:
I spent a nice day in the GH washing algae off the floor (the floor is red
cement bricks) and watering and fertilizing. I'm happy to announce that a
peach colored Rhy gigantea ......

My approach to getting my Rhy. specimen to grow is to water and
fertilize it regularly, meet its light and temp requirements. and
yell "Grow, damn you!" at it.

It now has new roots and a new leaf. I'm not sure which part of the
regimen was most effective.

J. Del Col

Old 27-08-2007, 09:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"jadel" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Aug 26, 8:40 pm, "K Barrett" wrote:
I spent a nice day in the GH washing algae off the floor (the floor is
red
cement bricks) and watering and fertilizing. I'm happy to announce that
peach colored Rhy gigantea ......

My approach to getting my Rhy. specimen to grow is to water and
fertilize it regularly, meet its light and temp requirements. and
yell "Grow, damn you!" at it.

It now has new roots and a new leaf. I'm not sure which part of the
regimen was most effective.

J. Del Col

Obviously I've been too nice. I've been saying "Please grow, OK?"

K Barrett

Old 27-08-2007, 10:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
I can't figure what it wants. I finally have started growing it next to my
phals. Low light , sl warmer. But who knows. *G*.

Power wash.... now there's the ticket! I need to get me one of those
things!

They do a great job on cars too! :-)

Three of my dens are spiking now. Colors will be a surprise since these
were 1/2 price with no tags from HD last spring.