GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Orchid 'fossils' (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/164261-orchid-fossils.html)

K Barrett 01-09-2007 06:13 PM

Orchid 'fossils'

'Nature' published an article in its August edition that is generating some
talk about orchid evolution.
http://www.nature.com/nature/journal...157/index.html

I listened to the podcast, could not access the full article directly, but
the 'additional features' .pdf allows us to download the clad and
evolutionary timeline.

It shows Mormodes separate from the other Stanhopea 'tribe'. I always
thought Mormodes was part of Stanhopiinae (or however one spells it)(I
really should look it up). Of course I also always thought orchids were
related to lillies and irises...

K Barrett