GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   common white Phal (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/orchids/164911-common-white-phal.html)

Maggie's Mom 16-09-2007 06:16 PM

common white Phal

Hi all. As I am not really experienced orchid grower, just past a beginner's
level, I lurk here most of the time. I de-lurk today to ask about a common
white Phalenopsis.

The orchid formed a flower spike in late January this year. The 14 flowers
opened in sequence in February (while I was absent). I came home in March,
to find it still blooming. In early June, when the flowers were falling off,
a side flower spike formed on the January spike, and it commenced blooming
with 8 flowers. Half the way through August, ANOTHER side flower spike
formed on the January spike, and as the flowers from the August spike dried
up, this new spike blooms with 9 huge, gorgeous flowers. At the same time a
new leaf is growing. Everything is looking super-healthy. My question: is
this normal? I had this phal blooming every 7 to 8 months, and had healthy
leaf growth, but never like this, all at once and keeps blooming for 9
months now. Any insight?

Happy but confused - Maggie's Mom.

Steve[_2_] 16-09-2007 06:39 PM

common white Phal

Maggie's Mom wrote:
[...]

I believe you Phal is as happy as you are.

Steve

SuE 16-09-2007 07:05 PM

common white Phal

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 11:16:25 -0600, "Maggie's Mom"
wrote:

[...]

As long as it grows new leaves and roots along with the blooms you are
prime for the "happy dance." Anytime it quits growing at least one
leaf a year - cut the spike off and rest the plant. I had a huge
lovely white phal. I neglected to cut the spike when mine did not get
a new leaf and it did bloom itself to death it takes energy to bloom
that much. It took a short 18 months of constant bloom, but there is
no recovery then.

Don't forget to repot on a regular schedule. Phal's can take a
repotting with a spike, it is just harder for you. You have to make
sure you don't damage the spike.
SuE

Manelli Family[_3_] 16-09-2007 07:18 PM

common white Phal

"Maggie's Mom" wrote in message
[...]

OH my gosh.... what are you feeding it? :-))

Maggie's Mom 16-09-2007 07:58 PM

common white Phal

I feed it Schultz 19-31-17 for orchids, 1/4 teaspoon in gallon of water. I
water every 7 days or so, when the medium feels dry.

"Manelli Family" wrote

OH my gosh.... what are you feeding it? :-))

Manelli Family[_3_] 17-09-2007 01:46 AM

common white Phal

"Maggie's Mom" wrote in message
. ..
I feed it Schultz 19-31-17 for orchids, 1/4 teaspoon in gallon of water. I
water every 7 days or so, when the medium feels dry.

"Manelli Family" wrote

OH my gosh.... what are you feeding it? :-))

I gotta try some of that! I rotate the fertalizer but only use it a few
times a month. My orchids get watered about twice a week.