Old 06-10-2007, 12:26 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default rookie oncidium question

I've got a oncidium with plenty of air roots, but little underground roots.
The two look different. What I'm wondering is that as it is now the plant
is kind of rocky. Can I push the air roots underground to provide support?
I've also repotted in the hope that new potting medium will provide
additional root growth. Thanks much.

Old 06-10-2007, 07:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Oncidiums have this "climbing" growth habit. It's almost like a staircase,
and it makes them tricky to repot sometimes. When I repot one of those, it
will often look a little crooked for a few weeks, because I forced it into
the pot. I'd take your plant out and pot again, this time taking care to get
the new roots into the medium.

That said, I have mounted Oncidiums. It's just easier.

Diana

Old 06-10-2007, 08:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Thanks,

Sounds like I did alright then. I was worried because the old roots
were a lot thinner (perhaps also a lot less healthy) and branched. The
"air" roots were thicker and straighter. Well time will tell. Thanks again
for the reply.