Old 09-10-2007, 10:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default There's a fungus among us

I occasionally have issues with fungus and bacteria spots on the leaves of
some of my plants (esp. Phals). Just when I think I have it under control I
see spots on the leaves again.

Should I spray Physan occassionally? After I see the damage it's too late
so how do youse guys and gals handle this?

Good Growing,
Gene

Old 12-10-2007, 11:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

In general, I hate to see chemicals being sprayed "just in case." But if
you are in a fungus-prone environment (we are, in hot humid south Florida,
and if you are having recurrent infections, apparently you are, too),
spraying a fungicide once a month or so will not harm your plants and will
probably help.

The chemical should be rotated -- not Physan every time, but switch to
something with a different active ingredient after a few sprayings, and
then back. It's also important to spray the surrounding areas (benches,
floor, hangers, etc.), not just the plants, and to achieve proper coverage
(undersides of leaves). Kenni

Old 13-10-2007, 09:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Kye Kye is offline

Wasn't there a thread AGES back about this being detrimental to the general
health of plants???

From memory it was back in the days of the Venger/Ray flame wars so too far
back for me to recall accurately though I cannot recall whether we ever
resolved the issue.

--
Yours Sincerely
Kye

. ..

Old 13-10-2007, 01:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Kye,

Venger/ Ray? I don't recall Ray being in a flame war. However Venger/Mick
certainly comes to mind.

Bob
"Kye" wrote in message
Wasn't there a thread AGES back about this being detrimental to the
general health of plants???

From memory it was back in the days of the Venger/Ray flame wars so too
far back for me to recall accurately though I cannot recall whether we
ever resolved the issue.

--
Yours Sincerely
Kye

. ..

Old 13-10-2007, 03:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

...just back from a Mid-West business trip, so catching up.

Rod and I were friends, and while we did disagree on stuff, I surely don't
recall any flame wars with the opinionated ******* (insert grin here).

I am a firm believer in NOT doing preventive sprayings of insecticides, but
I have never heard of resistance buildup in lower life forms. My
understanding is that because they reproduce asexually, there is no
opportunity to pass on traits. Algae can reproduce sexually or asexually,
but I've not heard of a resistant strain...

I generally use Physan @ 1 tsp/gal on a 4- to 6-week basis, and have no
issues with resistant strains of fungi, bacteria, or algae. The fact that
it is so instantly contact toxic to those things probably helps.

If I was to rotate disinfectants, I'd use Physan (one teaspoon per gallon),
chorine bleach (one ounce per gallon), and an aqueous cinnamon extract (stir
4-6 tablespoons of powder into a gallon of boiling water; remove from heat
and let sit for at least 48 hours, filter and dilute to 5 gallons of spray).

Also keep in mind that good air flow around the plants is the number one,
best way to prevent fungal and bacterial infections.

. ..

"Kye" wrote in message
Wasn't there a thread AGES back about this being detrimental to the
general health of plants???

From memory it was back in the days of the Venger/Ray flame wars so too
far back for me to recall accurately though I cannot recall whether we
ever resolved the issue.

--
Yours Sincerely
Kye

. ..

Old 13-10-2007, 09:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I agree on the insecticides. But we do have one very nasty fungus running
around in south Florida that (without benefit of scientific evidence, just
based on personal experience) looks to me to have developed resistance.
Commonly called "Thai crud" and other nasty names. Symptoms are rough black
diamond-shaped lesions on foliage. Proper name appears to be either
Phyllosticta or Guignardia (depending on the stage in the life cycle??? --
that one boggles me). Primarily affects vandas. It used to be controllable
with Physan, now the only thing we have in the cabinet that will touch it is
Dithane M-45 (expensive and makes a big mess). So we rotate our fungicides
because we don't want anything else to become that nasty and hard to kill.

I am a firm believer in NOT doing preventive sprayings of insecticides,
but I have never heard of resistance buildup in lower life forms. My
understanding is that because they reproduce asexually, there is no
opportunity to pass on traits. Algae can reproduce sexually or
asexually, but I've not heard of a resistant strain...

For true. But for those with more plants than they can keep a close eye on,
or have room to space out properly (which I think is almost everyone here
G) ...
In fifteen years, I haven't seen any harm to plants from a monthly fungicide
spray (barring mixing/application errors). Kenni

Old 14-10-2007, 02:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Kye Kye is offline

That's the one... Sorry Ray. My bad.

--
Yours Sincerely
Kye

. ..

"Kye" wrote in message
Wasn't there a thread AGES back about this being detrimental to the
general health of plants???

From memory it was back in the days of the Venger/Ray flame wars so too
far back for me to recall accurately though I cannot recall whether we
ever resolved the issue.

--
Yours Sincerely
Kye

"Kenni Judd" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

there, it cleans a egg too brave among her clever store Mike Maitland United Kingdom 0 01-09-2005 02:50 PM
there, it dines a pear too sick among her shallow mirror [email protected] United Kingdom 0 23-07-2005 11:32 AM
A Fungus Among Us Gae Xavier Texas 8 28-09-2003 02:15 AM
A Fungus Among Us Gae Xavier Texas 0 17-09-2003 10:13 PM
fungus among us P.J. Bloodworth Orchids 2 23-08-2003 05:12 AM