Old 27-10-2007, 10:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Dendrobium lindleyi

I've had this plant for five years now. It bloomed only once for me. It's
been three years now since it grew a single pseudobulb or a leaf, nor has it
flowered. The existing bulbs though are fully green, and the roots are nice
and healthy. I grow it on a piece of cork. I "chill" it during the
appropriate time, withhold water in the winter (unless the psedobulbs begin
to shrivel).

I'm at my wits end and thinking of tossing it.

Should I hold on to it? is there a way to find out if it's still alive?

I can take a picture of it and post it to the orchid binaries?

-M

Old 28-10-2007, 12:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

By all means, post the picture. From what you have said, you've been
treating it appropriately regarding water, so my question would be about how
much light it receives. It does need relatively high, filtered light.

BTW, what do you mean by "chilling" it? We are in S. FL and take no special
action to give this plant cooler temps. FWIW, we also grow it on cork, and
have another one in a slat basket with little or no medium. During the
growth months it gets water every day.

Diana

Old 28-10-2007, 07:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Diana,

Thank you so much for responding. First let me apologize, I have no idea
why I said lindleyi when my Dendrobium is an aggregatum.

When I say chilling, I mean leaving it outdoors when the night's get cooler,
I leave it outside for as long as the nights do not get below 48F.

I will post photos in about two minutes in the binaries orchid group under
the title Dendrobium aggregatum.

-M

Old 28-10-2007, 08:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

The reason you wrote lindleyi is because it is a synonym of aggregatum, LOL!
Actually, the name most are using now is lindleyi.

I'll look for the photos.

Diana

Old 08-11-2007, 12:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I looked for your pic but didn't find it, and so respond here.

If it's all green, it's alive, but obviously not happy if it's made no new
growths for the time you say. 48F is not too low of a winter temp, but it
doesn't have to get that cool to bloom. Nor does it seem to require really
hard drying out. Some years, ours have stayed in the vanda zone (we never
got around to moving them out) -- they still bloomed, just less prolifically
and (a positive from our point of view) not all at the same time, like they
did when we moved them out to get chilled.

Diana makes a good point about light, esp. when it comes to blooming. On
the lack of growth, have you been feeding it at all? Kenni