Old 07-11-2007, 05:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default GIfts

I would like to purchase a gift of a book for a new orchid fan. He is
beginning to grow orchids on his own and is quite smart so lots of
information, in addition to pictures, would be great. Also, does
anyone have any experience with the Orchid-of-the-month club? I'd like
to look into that as a gift as well. Thanks - Neil

Old 07-11-2007, 09:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

The 'Bible' is Rebecca Northen's book 'Home Orchid Growing' and should be
available from one of the used book vendors at Amazon.com.
K Barrett

oups.com...

Old 07-11-2007, 11:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Where does your recipient live/grow? I ask because there are many good
"general" books, but only a couple specifically targeted to growing in hot
humid climates.

The previously-mentioned Northen book is indeed the "bible," but it can be
heavy slogging for a relatively new grower and, with all due respect, some
of the advice therein is simply not appropriate for very hot humid
environments. For the latter, I recommend "Orchid Growing in the Tropics,"
published by OSSEA, probably available from the AOS. Kenni

Old 08-11-2007, 11:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

There are so many that are wonderful. Favorites of mine that I keep
returning to both for beauty and scholarly information are Bechtel's Manual
of Cultivated Orchids and/or Pridgeon's The Illustrated Orchid Encyclopedia.
Neither are particularly practical for the how to's of growing but are great
references.

Isn't it fun to encourage another in our addictions? LOL

Frank

(ADV) Gifts starlord Gardening 1 01-04-2014 12:26 PM
July's Free Wildlife Gifts Zemedelec Gardening 0 29-06-2004 05:03 PM
Pond gifts, Whatya get for Xmas? ~ jan JJsPond.us Ponds 17 31-12-2003 12:08 AM
xmas fairy, naure and celtic themed gifts birdzart Gardening 0 25-11-2003 03:02 PM
xmas gifts david United Kingdom 9 17-12-2002 11:22 PM