Old 09-11-2007, 06:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Blooming Rescues

Here's a pic of some rescues from last spring now in bloom. Another pic is
the two that didn't spike. They were taken out to the greenhouse and spiked
in weeks. One is a den and one an ondicium.

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/e.../GH5-11-07.jpg

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/e.../GH4-11-07.jpg

Old 11-11-2007, 01:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"Mark_OK" wrote in message
One thing exciting about rescue plants is you don't know what the blooms
will look like.

True, but we've never been disappointed. )

Old 11-11-2007, 08:40 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_OK View Post
One thing exciting about rescue plants is you don't know what the blooms
will look like.
That's most of the fun of it, isn't it?
Old 12-11-2007, 10:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Nov 9, 4:04 pm, "Manelli Family" wrote:
Here's a pic of some rescues from last spring now in bloom. Another pic is
the two that didn't spike. They were taken out to the greenhouse and spiked
in weeks. One is a den and one an ondicium.

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/e.../GH5-11-07.jpg

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/e.../GH4-11-07.jpg

What is a 'rescue' plant?

Cheers,

Old 13-11-2007, 01:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"Good Habit" wrote in message

Mark_OK;758868 Wrote:
One thing exciting about rescue plants is you don't know what the blooms

will look like.

That's most of the fun of it, isn't it?

Yes! I love the anticipation and now I have that last den about to bloom.
I'm sure the oncidium will be yellow and brown. That's the color they
usually are in HD and Lowe's.

--
Good Habit

Old 13-11-2007, 01:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"MissTaz" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Nov 9, 4:04 pm, "Manelli Family" wrote:
Here's a pic of some rescues from last spring now in bloom. Another pic
is
the two that didn't spike. They were taken out to the greenhouse and
spiked
in weeks. One is a den and one an ondicium.

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/e.../GH5-11-07.jpg

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/e.../GH4-11-07.jpg

What is a 'rescue' plant?

They're the plants, in this case orchids, that didn't sell while in bloom.
Sometimes they're still in excellent condition and sometimes near death.
This depends on how well the person in the garden center cares for them.
They're also always marked down 50 to 75%. Of the last 10 to 12 orchid
rescues I bought, all but one phal was in very good condition. This one
poor phal will probably not make it but I only paid $3.88 for it.

Cheers,

Old 23-11-2007, 08:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Nov 13, 11:45 am, "Manelli Family" wrote:
"MissTaz" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

Ok, thanks for that.

That sounds like a fun idea.
Kinda like Christmas- you don't know (if you haven't opened the
presents under the tree..) what you're going to get!

I might see if I can't get some of those.

Old 23-11-2007, 09:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"MissTaz" wrote in message
On Nov 13, 11:45 am, "Manelli Family" wrote:
"MissTaz" wrote in message

oups.com...

[...]

Of all I the rescues I bought only one Phal (from WalMart) died. All the
others are thriving and several already bloomed and others have spikes. I
seldom pay full price for an orchid. I was recently told though that both
HD and Lowe's plans to return them to the venders rather than mark them
down.