Old 10-11-2007, 08:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Orchid software on Mac

All,

Do any of you have personal experience running AQ Plus 3.0, Wildcatt, or
OrchidWiz on a Mac using Parallels? Mac OS 10.4 or 10.5?

David

Old 10-11-2007, 11:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Yes I do.

Sometimes its a bit twitchy. For example today at a show AQ Plus loaded
wrong. I had to close it and reload (which only took a matter of seconds to
accomplish) but in the meantime I was the only judge at the table unable to
pull up awards on Cym tracyanum on my neeto freeto macbook. I felt like an
idiot.

Now that's probably user error. I sling the computer around, carrying from
one place to another and I'm not really gentle with it. But occasionally
these errors happen at home, too. I have to leave a program and restart it
in order to get it to function properly. Having said that, from what I
understand Parallels is more stable than the one that comes with OS X
Leopard, and it has the capability to share programs from XP to OS X, so
IMHO its worth the $90.

I've used the old OS X Tiger and the new Leopard. (Sorry I don't know the
version #s.) and I use XP Pro on the microsoft side

Sometimes when I open XP the computer says the screen resolution isn't
optimal for viewing, and I have to change it. (When I look at the monitor
settings they are at 1200x 800 - which is the max the Mac Book will allow)

Parallels comes with Kaspersky anti-virus software which scans the harddrive
on startup. I finally shut that feature down becasue I don't surf the web
while on the microsoft side of the harddrive, and a virus can't cross the
partition - or not usually from what I understand. That scan would slow the
computer down a bit.

I've had no troubles with Orchid Wiz. I've had troubles using a memory
stick to transfer data when updating the AOS Pacific Central web page and
the California Sierra Nevada web page to my laptop. Parallels asks whether
you want the device to run in Windows or Apple, so there's a step I'm not
used to.

Other than these user errors Parallels works fine and I'm happy with it.

K Barrett

Old 11-11-2007, 01:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Thank you. By the end of the month, I will have a new MacBook Pro with 4GB
of memory. I plan to give Parallels all the memory it wants. One of my
co-workers has Parallels and likes to use it in coherent mode. I hope my
applications cooperate. Based on my use of AQ Plus on a PC running XP Pro,
I would not blame you for any "twitchiness" you encounter while using it.
That program is definately a work in progress. My biggest pet peeve so far
(except for the dialog boxes saying it can't find a file it wants) is the
way the back button works. Silly me - I thought back meant go back to where
you were - not start over!

Anyway, rant off and thanks for sharing your experiences.

David

. ..

Old 11-11-2007, 02:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I get that dialog box a lot, too. They keep saying they are going to make
it more user friendly in the next update. Already its better in that you
don't have to complete a word in order to pull up information. And thank god
they stopped making you type out Brassolaeliocattleya for Blc.

"David Edgley" wrote in message
om...
Thank you. By the end of the month, I will have a new MacBook Pro with
4GB of memory. I plan to give Parallels all the memory it wants. One of
my co-workers has Parallels and likes to use it in coherent mode. I hope
my applications cooperate. Based on my use of AQ Plus on a PC running XP
Pro, I would not blame you for any "twitchiness" you encounter while using
it. That program is definately a work in progress. My biggest pet peeve
so far (except for the dialog boxes saying it can't find a file it wants)
is the way the back button works. Silly me - I thought back meant go back
to where you were - not start over!

Anyway, rant off and thanks for sharing your experiences.

David

. ..

Old 15-11-2007, 12:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Only slightly off topic, do have stron preferences/recommendations which of
the programs is better and more user-friendly. I'm leaning toward the Orhid
Wiz but hahven't ruled out Wildcatt.

Thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Have a good growing day!
Frank

Old 15-11-2007, 12:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I was one of the first adopters of WildCatt, and was very happy with it for
several years, buying every update as soon as it was released. Then Alex
came out with OrchidWiz, and it was such a major improvement that it made no
sense to continue with WildCatt.

The Grays had talked about an upgrade to WildCatt, but I have never heard of
it being tested or released, so it appears - to me anyway - that they have
given up on the idea.

Old 16-11-2007, 04:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

There haven't been very many on topic replies to this posting. Is KB the
only Mac user out there? I'm getting one through my employer to replace my
very old Dell and the options were a cheap Toshiba or a Macbook Pro with
Parallels. No struggle with that decision!!!

So - any other experiences with AQ Plus, Wildcatt, or OrchidWiz on a Mac
under Parallels? I don't really care which program you like better. I'm
just looking to find out if your choice works well for you and if you have
any recommendations.

Thanks again, David