Old 12-11-2007, 04:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Castaway

You are shipwrecked on a deserted island with the perfect habitat(s) for
orchids. High montane areas, sphagnum bogs, dense forests, waterfall seeps,
you name it. If you need it, you got it on this magical island. A crate
washes ashore containing *surprise!* your10 favorite orchids. What are they
and where do you put them?

1) Masdevallia coccinea - all color forms placed high along a trail leading
over the misty mountians to

2) a sweeping flat plain where teh mists collect and seep for Disa uniflora
in all its color forms.

3) Along that pathway, from the high mountains to the seep valley Dendrobium
cuthbertsonii, mostly the bicolor red/orange form abounds.

4,5,6) Continuing on past the seep valley the trail wraps to the windward
side of the mountains and cuts into a mixed forest where Laelia purpuratas
abound in the crotches of tree limbs accompanied by Lycaste deppei and
Mormodes sinuata.

7,8) As the trail breaks into a more open field one can find Brassavola
cucullata and Rhyncholaelia glauca exposed on trees.

9) Hidden amongst rocky cracks you can find Laelia pumila.

10) As the trail finally descends toward the rocky shore Thelmytras
(previously only seen in pictures) fill the sandy (shaded?) hillsides.

What do you populate your island with? I chose species, but hybrids abound
there, too. I thought I saw a C. Bow Bells darting through my forest, but
it was a shy elusive creature, not often found in collections anymore.

K Barrett

Old 12-11-2007, 11:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
SuE SuE is offline

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 15:37:00 -0600, "Mark_OK" wrote:

Are there any beer recipes utilizing orchids ;

Kath is far enough out - no beer needed.

But you missed all the beautiful Phrags nodding on the steep slopes.
Reds and greens and mahogany and shy pinks play in the moving shadows.

Fantastic shaped Bulbophyllums and umbels of Cirrhopetalums dance in
shades of gold and red glory from the trees.
SuE

Old 13-11-2007, 12:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

And, as I look over my list just about everything except the mormodes and
laelias I can't grow!! LOL! We a;ways want what we can't have. I have
*finally* learned not to buy stuff that just won't grow in my condoitions.
A Dend vexillaria was in my hand and I put it down, since it is from such a
high elevation there'd be no way I can grow it!
news

Old 14-11-2007, 07:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

C'mon, folks, get this rolling! I was hoping for more responses in this
thread. I don't have the broad species knowledge that you judge types have.
Educate us lesser mortals, LOL!

Diana

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
And, as I look over my list just about everything except the mormodes and
laelias I can't grow!! LOL! We a;ways want what we can't have. I have
*finally* learned not to buy stuff that just won't grow in my condoitions.
A Dend vexillaria was in my hand and I put it down, since it is from such
a high elevation there'd be no way I can grow it!
news

Old 14-11-2007, 08:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Well, you don't *have* to have any real knowlege, its your magic island
after all. I suppose I could have had bulbophyllums that grow side by side
with rupiculous laelias.... Interestingly I realized there wern't any Phals
on my island either. Nevertheless I'm staying with the hand I dealt meself.
And I said you don't have to use species only. I have a furtive C Bow Bells
darting amongst the foliage in my island. And the more I think about it an
Angraecum magdalenae is living with the L pumila. (Although its only been
seen in pictures. The one in my GH is getting smaller by the day.)

K Barrett
"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
C'mon, folks, get this rolling! I was hoping for more responses in this
thread. I don't have the broad species knowledge that you judge types
have. Educate us lesser mortals, LOL!

Diana

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
And, as I look over my list just about everything except the mormodes and
laelias I can't grow!! LOL! We a;ways want what we can't have. I have
*finally* learned not to buy stuff that just won't grow in my
condoitions. A Dend vexillaria was in my hand and I put it down, since it
is from such a high elevation there'd be no way I can grow it!
news

Old 23-11-2007, 07:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Nov 15, 9:15 am, "Diana Kulaga" wrote:
Okay, I'll think on it. I suppose I know more than I admit to, sometimes.

Diana

"K Barrett" wrote in message

. ..

Well, you don't *have* to have any real knowlege, its your magic island
after all. I suppose I could have had bulbophyllums that grow side by
side with rupiculous laelias.... Interestingly I realized there wern't
any Phals on my island either. Nevertheless I'm staying with the hand I
dealt meself. And I said you don't have to use species only. I have a
furtive C Bow Bells darting amongst the foliage in my island. And the
more I think about it an Angraecum magdalenae is living with the L pumila.
(Although its only been seen in pictures. The one in my GH is getting
smaller by the day.)

K Barrett
"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
.. .
C'mon, folks, get this rolling! I was hoping for more responses in this
thread. I don't have the broad species knowledge that you judge types
have. Educate us lesser mortals, LOL!

Diana

m...
"SuE" wrote in message
news On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 15:37:00 -0600, "Mark_OK" wrote:

Are there any beer recipes utilizing orchids ;

Kath is far enough out - no beer needed.

But you missed all the beautiful Phrags nodding on the steep slopes.
Reds and greens and mahogany and shy pinks play in the moving shadows.

Fantastic shaped Bulbophyllums and umbels of Cirrhopetalums dance in
shades of gold and red glory from the trees.
SuE

This is a great thread!

I have no idea what you're talking about so I'm learning lots!

Casey