Old 19-11-2007, 12:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Volcanic rock?

Having just recently been suckered into getting more orchids (Cattleya's and
Dendobiums) at Wal Mart......... I have noticed these from Wal mart are
usaually in a 3 inch square pot Volcanic rock and newspaper. Are there any
advantages to Volcanic rock, other than it is cheap and plentifull in Hwaii.

My reading research shows it holds water well. Will it wick water? The
thought of using it like Prime agra for hydroponic has crossed my mind

Old 19-11-2007, 02:09 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

You will find that the lava rock won't wick well, and will hold onto salts
and not flush well.

Other than that, it's OK/

news

Old 19-11-2007, 03:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

My experience exactly. I killed way too many plants in this stuff as a less
experienced grower.

David

Old 20-11-2007, 03:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

i've got two dens in the stuff, and they're taking over the kitchen.
i probably wouldn't try anything else in it though (too dry in my
house).

--j_a

Old 21-11-2007, 06:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

We use a lot of lava rock. It doesn't break down, which means less frequent
repotting and, unless we're dividing the plant, easier repotting as well.
We use RO water and have no salt buildup problem. Kenni

news

Old 27-11-2007, 07:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

The hydro pellets are superior in almost everyway. Unfortunantly they are
relativly expensive. Something else that no one mentioned is that volcanic
rock is often high in flourine.

news

Old 28-11-2007, 01:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"Expensive" depends on your horizon.

Scenario 1: Buy bark & charcoal & perlite for each pot. Replace annually.

Scenario 2: But LECA once. As you move up to bigger pots, merely fill in
the extra space.

Yeah, that initial potting up is less expensive in scenario 1, but in short
order you will find that scenario 2 is far less expensive.

"Duncan" wrote in message
The hydro pellets are superior in almost everyway. Unfortunantly they are
relativly expensive. Something else that no one mentioned is that
volcanic rock is often high in flourine.

news

Old 28-11-2007, 04:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Nov 27, 2:06 pm, "Duncan" wrote:

Something else that no one mentioned is that volcanic
rock is often high in flourine.

hmm, could that be what's causing the icky black spots on the back
canes of one of my dens? (the plant is otherwise growing like a bamboo
and produced four flower spikes last summer, so they're apparently not
harming it, just ooky-looking.)

But the biggest problem is the salt build up.

SuE

they get fertilized every other week or less; in between, the pots get
flooded with plain water. (and when they get ants, the plants get
stuck in the sink with the faucet running on them full force for about
ten minutes every few days.

--j_a

Old 30-11-2007, 02:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"Duncan" wrote in message
The hydro pellets are superior in almost everyway. Unfortunantly they are
relativly expensive. Something else that no one mentioned is that
volcanic rock is often high in flourine.

My collection got upended by a tree falling on my shade house this spring
and scattering my precious LECA medium all over the yard. Some of the plants
I repotted I put in river gravel - it was about the same size as the LECA -
just to see how they would do. I know it won't wick but I sure can't over
water them! Everything thrived through the summer, maybe because our yearly
rainfall was double what we normally have here in Oklahoma. When I brought
the plants in for the winter almost all the plants in bark medium had to be
repotted due to the deterioration of the medium. Excess rain again? So I'm
trying to get away from bark medium. I like the gravel but it makes the pots
heavy. I've thought of adding sponge rock to lighten them up a little. I've
seen orchids in volcanic rock but all I have found around here is the
landscape variety that is way to large and I don't think I can break them up
into smaller pieces easily.

Anybody use gravel? Are there long range problems with it?

"BruceM" wrote in message
news
. Are there any advantages to Volcanic rock, other than it is cheap and
plentifull in Hwaii.

Cheap and plentiful - that's the ticket! Leaves more money to buy plants.

Mark

Old 30-11-2007, 11:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Mark_OK wrote:

"Duncan" wrote in message

My collection got upended by a tree falling on my shade house this
spring and scattering my precious LECA medium all over the yard. Some of
the plants I repotted I put in river gravel - it was about the same size
as the LECA - just to see how they would do. I know it won't wick but I
sure can't over water them! Everything thrived through the summer, maybe
because our yearly rainfall was double what we normally have here in
Oklahoma. .......................................

Anybody use gravel? Are there long range problems with it?

In the mid 70s, when I bought my first orchid, I looked at it every day
and it never did anything. I was young and impatient. I read the one
page culture sheet handed to me with the plant and it told what could be
used to pot orchids. One of the choices was gravel.
Needing some sort of interaction with my new plant, I dumped it out of
the pot it was perfectly happy in. I borrowed some natural pea gravel
from an aquarium that we weren't using at the time. I potted that little
Phalaenopsis in what, I learned later, was an over sized pot for the
size of the plant. It grew up, bloomed, and lived happily in that same
gravel and same pot for over 25 years. Of course, every few years, I had
to dump it out, break off the dead bottom with dead roots and pot it
deeper again. It finally died last year due to the Phal disease that
killed all of my other Phals too.

The point is, an orchid can do very well for decades potted only in gravel.

Steve

Old 01-12-2007, 04:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

[...]

How sad to loose a plant you've nurtured for so long.

Thanks for the response.

Old 01-12-2007, 04:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"Ray B" wrote in message
You've already identified the problem with gravel - it doesn't hold water.
If you can keep up with the watering schedule, it should be fine.

Do you think adding some sponge rock would help?

I got my LECA and s/h pots from your store. What pots I couldn't retrieve
the spilled LECA to fill, I used gravel. I also am trying clay pots that I
sealed the drainage hole and drilled holes imitating the s/h pots. Some of
the terra cotta pots I painted to help retain water.

I'm starting to wonder if I will ever find a solution that satisfies me and
the plants. I should have started this hobby when I was younger :

Volcanic Dust mark United Kingdom 42 18-04-2010 11:45 PM
Volcanic orchid [Summer1964] ID help? C. Nick Kruzer Orchids 12 27-06-2006 07:04 AM
Anyone know of a source of truckloads of crushed volcanic rock? [email protected] Permaculture 3 08-11-2005 04:42 PM
Volcanic Lava Rock GrlIntrpted Orchids 22 01-04-2004 06:53 PM
Volcanic rock as potting material gal Orchids 7 22-03-2003 07:20 PM