Old 22-11-2007, 03:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default angraecum leonis

I picked up an angraecum at the Will Rogers Orchid Society Show last
weekend. I was actually hoping to find the distichum that is on my wish
list. I'm a little confused on the growth characteristics. My reference book
say it is monopodial but then goes on to say the plants are short with 4 or
5 leaves. I'm a little confused. Is it going to grow like a phal and only
retain 4 or 5 leaves at a time?

Thanks for your help.

Old 22-11-2007, 05:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Well, I found a new site.... I've never come across this page before, but
perhaps I'll go back again.

Anyway, http://www.orchids.mu/Species/Angraecum/index.html has a picture of
Angr. leonis with the growth habit in the background. Culture info as well
as taxonomy (which looks correct, too) I have no idea whether this site just
churns other people's info and pictures, but heck, its a place to start.

K Barrett

et...

Old 22-11-2007, 09:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 09:17:52 -0800, K Barrett wrote:
Well, I found a new site.... I've never come across this page before, but
perhaps I'll go back again.

Anyway, http://www.orchids.mu/Species/Angraecum/index.html has a picture of
Angr. leonis with the growth habit in the background. Culture info as well
as taxonomy (which looks correct, too) I have no idea whether this site just
churns other people's info and pictures, but heck, its a place to start.

K Barrett

This site also has some good info. http://www.orchidspecies.com/angleonis.htm
I'm going to put this plant on my wish list to go along with my:
Ang didieri, distichum, scottianum and sesquipedale. I just wish this
boat was bigger execpt when it comes to maintenence.

Bob
Old 22-11-2007, 10:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

wrote:
[...]

sesquipedale get as big as a house. You may want to drop it from your list
*G*! Substitute with Aerangis lueto-alba var. rhodosticta (Had to copy and
paste that, LOL!

Old 22-11-2007, 10:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I have the A. eburneum that ate NY. Of course, right now I feel like *I* ate
NY, LOL!

O/T: What's your favorite brand of turkey? We always liked Butterball, but
for the second year in a row, BB has not quite lived up to its usual
standards. Gotta try a new one next year.

Diana

. ..

Old 23-11-2007, 01:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 14:05:46 -0800, K Barrett wrote:

sesquipedale get as big as a house. You may want to drop it from your list
*G*! Substitute with Aerangis lueto-alba var. rhodosticta (Had to copy and
paste that, LOL!

Yea I know I already have it. I also have that Aer la as well as a few
others but it will take a look at the rhodosticta. We are into
miniture fragrant and slowly move out plants to refine our limited
collection (~75). At the moment we have a Aer citrata & hyloides
in their first spike.

Bob

Old 24-11-2007, 02:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 14:43:36 -0800, Diana Kulaga wrote
(in article ):

I have the A. eburneum that ate NY. Of course, right now I feel like *I* ate
NY, LOL!

O/T: What's your favorite brand of turkey? We always liked Butterball, but
for the second year in a row, BB has not quite lived up to its usual
standards. Gotta try a new one next year.

Diana

Diestel.
Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
Nikon D200

Old 24-11-2007, 05:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
SuE SuE is offline

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 17:43:36 -0500, "Diana Kulaga"
wrote:

I have the A. eburneum that ate NY. Of course, right now I feel like *I* ate
NY, LOL!

O/T: What's your favorite brand of turkey? We always liked Butterball, but
for the second year in a row, BB has not quite lived up to its usual
standards. Gotta try a new one next year.

Diana

The Denver Post tested Turkeys this year. 8 birds all professionally
cooked in the same manner, everything from the EL-Cheepo to the
Organically grown Fresh Bird.

I would give you 2 guesses -- as to the best tasting and best looking,
carving etc... But the first one would not count.

Yes, EL-Cheepo was the winner. The second was the second store's
Cheepie. The third I believe was Butterball (better watch out they
just re-branded the Turkey Factory in town).

But as many predicted #8 with the poorest taste, driest meat, and
least appealing look when cooked was the Fresh, Organically grown
bird.
SuE
Old 24-11-2007, 04:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default OT Turkey was angraecum leonis

wrote:

[...]

That had been our experience, too, SuE. We went totally yuppie for a few
decades, seeking the free range turkey, paying thru the nose, being
unimpressed. Then the 'brining' rage started and the cheap-o birds were
very good when brined. Then this year we hit our heads "D'oh!" realizing
*why* Butterball injected saline solution into their birds. Industrial
Strength Brine! So this year we cooked a Butterball and it was fine.
However I must say I prefered the Safeway's own brand that we brined
ourselves last year.

Some years ago a man collected all the turkey fat and disgusting parts that
Butterball threw away, rendered it into grease/oil, and made deisel fuel out
of it. It was the fisrt time I'd ever heard the term 'bio diesel' (Bio
Diestle?) That idea fell with a thud. Now 6-7 years later everyone is
looking at rendering oil out of cooking grease/oil/etc. Everyting old is
new again.

The San Francisco Auto show is this weekend and the Hybrids/Electric cars
are creating quite a splash. I've long been interested in fuel cells. I
know the technology probably won't fly where autos are concerned, however
I'd truly like to get something along those lines to take my GH off grid.
Somehow getting solar cells and inverters to charge batteries to power fans
over night. I doubt I'd ever get enough power to run the swamp cooler,
though.

As Sundance said to Butch, "Keep thinking, that's what you're good at."

K Barrett
(amazingly I got back on topic after all......)

Old 25-11-2007, 05:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
SuE SuE is offline

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 08:26:15 -0800, "K Barrett"
wrote:

[...]

They are collecting the Deep fry oil here to make Bio-fuel. One fellow
I have seen on Discovery just filters it enough to burn the cooking
oils. So what if he smells like McD's frys driving down the road.

Ian Rich is "off grid" with his gh I believe. He has fuel cells and
solar power. Of course he needs them. They live in a section of CO
with unreliable power and fierce storms.
SuE
Old 25-11-2007, 05:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I got a fairly small Butterball (14 Pounds) and did it on the grill to
slow cook and smoke it. Not much leftovers, stayed juicy. I filled a
pan of water/white wine with celery and onions to catch the drippings.
Made sage Butter by mixing fresh sage leaves and cold butter in a food
processor and slathering it over the surface and placed whole sage
leaves UNDER the skin in a decorative pattern. Took about 3.5 hours at
325 degrees and came out fine. One of these days I am going to try
brining one just to see if it makes a difference.

Cheers!

Dave

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 08:26:15 -0800, "K Barrett"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

Dave Fouchey

Florence, SC

N34° 11' 36.40"

W79° 47' 6.85"

WA4EMR
Old 25-11-2007, 06:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Interesting, Dave. We have a super grill w/very reliable temp control. Never
have tried turkey on it, but it sounds like we will!

Diana (also a big fan of fresh herbs and butter......)

"Dave Fouchey" wrote in message
I got a fairly small Butterball (14 Pounds) and did it on the grill to
slow cook and smoke it. Not much leftovers, stayed juicy. I filled a
pan of water/white wine with celery and onions to catch the drippings.
Made sage Butter by mixing fresh sage leaves and cold butter in a food
processor and slathering it over the surface and placed whole sage
leaves UNDER the skin in a decorative pattern. Took about 3.5 hours at
325 degrees and came out fine. One of these days I am going to try
brining one just to see if it makes a difference.

Cheers!

Dave

On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 08:26:15 -0800, "K Barrett"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

[...]

POE 2007 - Angraecum doratophyllum - strange pendant Angraecum Eric Hunt[_1_] Orchid Photos 0 28-02-2007 05:02 AM
Bud Blast on Ang. Leonis?? Lori Siegmund Orchids 3 05-12-2004 04:05 AM
Bud Blast on Ang. Leonis?? Al Orchids 0 29-11-2004 02:01 PM
Angraecum culture Frank H. Kirchner Orchids 3 17-07-2003 08:42 PM
Angraecum sesquipedale question Pete Orchids 5 09-03-2003 01:00 AM