Old 27-11-2007, 05:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default TAXON Phrag kovachii articles

As noted in today's OGD there's a move afoot to change Phrag kovachii to
Phrag peruvianum. The comments can be found here in .pdf. They are free.

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/conten...wgdf.victoria?

Quoted from the OGD:

It has been brought to my attention that there is an active proposal to
eliminate the name Phragmipedium kovachii by suppressing the Selbyana
Supplement it was published in on the basis of the illegal backstory.

1. The proposal: TAXON 55(4):1055-1056. 2006 (Nov).

2. Rebuttal by William Anderson: TAXON 56(2). 2007 (May).

3. Rebuttal by Wesley Higgins and David Benzing: TAXON 56(3). 2007 (Aug).

Eric Christenson

Old 28-11-2007, 01:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Kathy,

That website is organized poorly - too much "drilling down" to get to what
you want!

Here are the relevant URLs for those not into exploring. Click the big "PDF"
button on each page to view the content.

1) The Proposal: TAXON 55(4)

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/conten...00004/art00041

2) Rebuttal by William Anderson: TAXON 56(2)

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/conten...00002/art00046

3) Rebuttal by Wesley Higgins and David Benzing: TAXON 56(3)

http://www.ingentaconnect.com/conten...00003/art00042

(ps. I love how the PDF sizes are to the 10th decimal place!)

-Eric

Old 28-11-2007, 05:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

thanks for the links.

boy am i out out of it--i thought it was *already* "officially" named
peruviana, and kovachii was just the popluar name.

--j_a
Old 28-11-2007, 05:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

John,

Keep the kovatchii name. To do anything else will open up nomenclature to
the same stupid political influences that are pervasive in so many other
aspects of society. I think the two rebuttals were spot-on.

An for good measure, successfully suppressing that publication will cause a
major schism in the international taxonomic community.

-Eric

om...

Old 29-11-2007, 02:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

John,

Guido Braem made similar arguments way back when the court judgment
requiring Selby to make every effort to overturn the kovatchii name was
released. My loose recollection of the point Guido made was something
along the lines that US courts can order international scientific bodies
to do whatever they want and the scientific body is free to ignore the
court.

-Eric