Old 02-12-2007, 06:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Paraphalaenopsis labukensis question

I have a Pphs labukensis that has been lingering for me. Tries to put out a
new growth and then just stops. So the GH has the right conditions for a
short period of time and then changes..... In researching I see it can be
intermediate, but more possibly its a warm grower (???? I guess that's my
question) And wants high(er) humidity - like 70-80%? I wondered if I
should bring this inside this winter.... I considered bringing the vandas,
phals and this one inside becasue I let the GH get very cold, practically
unheated, and they don't like that. For example it got down to 52F last
night. Ambient was 38-40F.

Anyway, I know there are a couple of Paraphalaenopsis freaks here and
wondered how you grew 'em? Any tips? Mine was in a slat basket. one its
side with sphagnum moss. Moss has soured and I generally don't do well with
moss, so I've moved it to a treefern mount.

(Ha, the more I write the more I convince myself to bring it inside.)

K Barrett

Old 02-12-2007, 06:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I am not a paraphal freak, nor do I play one on TV, but I believe your
assessment of staying warm and humid is the key. I grow mine right along
side of the vandas.

. ..

Old 02-12-2007, 07:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Yeah, I just looked it up on OW and I've been really growing it
improperly.... I just got finished moving it & all the vandas inside to the
spare shower, *G*! They may not like it especially, but it'll keep them
until I get the heater up and running...

"Ray B" wrote in message
news7C4j.4481$vB.633@trnddc05...
I am not a paraphal freak, nor do I play one on TV, but I believe your
assessment of staying warm and humid is the key. I grow mine right along
side of the vandas.

. ..

Old 02-12-2007, 07:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Dec 2, 12:18 pm, "K Barrett" wrote:
[...]

Mine grows with my vandas, hanging upside-down from a sideways hanging
cedar vanda basket. It has no media around its roots. It has always
resented attempts to 'plant' it or tie it to anything. I should
think, however, that treefern would be the best choice and moss, would
be the worst choice (especially if intermediate or cool night temps
are in play)

Mine does not seem to want to attach its roots to anything at all, but
it does grow well. Every year it makes a new leaf or two and a foot
or two of new root. Every once in a while it leaps off whatever it is
supposed to be attached to and has to be hung back up; Just kind of
lets go and free falls. I find it laying on the floor or tangled in
something hanging below it's former "mount". I have been thinking
'bungee cords' might be called for.

Blooms every spring when the warm/sunny weather returns to my area.

My greenhouse night temps are in the extreme upper 50s/ lower 60s
right now. I can't say anything in moss is happy with me for that. I
have been edging it up higher as warmer night temps seems to be the
key to keeping botrytis off the cattleya flowers so I can get through
the holidays with something pretty to sell, despite the cost of BTUs.

When you walk into your tropical greenhouse in the morning and can see
your breath that's not good.
Old 02-12-2007, 07:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"alpickrel" wrote in message
[...]

I hear you! When you walk in a tropical greenhouse and your glasses *don't*
fog over that's trouble too. [sigh] I grow too dry. Too cold. Like I
say, the heater will get worked on and turned up this weekend. (I'm betting
the Raiders won't be worth watching.)

Maybe your Paraphalaenopsis can't read its tag and thinks its a parachute or
parasailer.... Hmmm... I think I'll bring in my single leafless as long as
I'm thinking of things that don't like medium around its roots....
Dendro(blahblah) funalis (I think... gad the mind is a terrible thing to
waste...)

Thanks for your comment!

Old 02-12-2007, 10:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Saw these in flower in Borneo where they grow in very hot and humid
conditions. Peter Maxwell has grown these successfully - perhaps he would
like to comment on his minimum temp and humidity.

John

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..

Old 02-12-2007, 11:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Kathy,
Mine grows well, attached to a cork slab, in medium light, high
humidity [seldom less than 90%]. While seldom do these get below 20 Celsius
in Borneo, mine grows well in my heated plant house [electric heater cable
in concrete floor slab], which sometimes gets down to12C on a frosty night.
However, it seldom gets below 15C in my GH on a winter's night here. Fans go
24 hourly.
Peter
--
)
"John Varigos" wrote in message
om...
Saw these in flower in Borneo where they grow in very hot and humid
conditions. Peter Maxwell has grown these successfully - perhaps he would
like to comment on his minimum temp and humidity.

John

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..

Old 03-12-2007, 01:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
I hear you! When you walk in a tropical greenhouse and your glasses
*don't* fog over that's trouble too. [sigh] I grow too dry. Too cold.
Like I say, the heater will get worked on and turned up this weekend.
(I'm betting the Raiders won't be worth watching.)

You can always pick up an inexpensive heater at Wal*Mart until you fix the
one not working. I have three $20 heaters spaces around my 16' greenhouse.

Old 03-12-2007, 05:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Thanks for answering Peter. OK, keeping the GH heated to 59F (15C) I can do
without too much expense..... The fans are no trouble either. The humidity
I'll have to bump considerably and get more consistent with. Its usually
anywhere from 40 - 60 % Wild fluctuations. I hate overhead misting systems
becasue aglae grows in the axils of the vandas damping off any spikes, and
spots the plicate leaves. (Sounds like not enough air movement, but really
there is...) Since I moved to under bench misting the stanhopeas have
gotten happier and are growing cleanly, I'll just have to automate it.
Tweak, tweak tweak!

K Barrett

"P Max" wrote in message
Kathy,
Mine grows well, attached to a cork slab, in medium light, high
humidity [seldom less than 90%]. While seldom do these get below 20
Celsius in Borneo, mine grows well in my heated plant house [electric
heater cable in concrete floor slab], which sometimes gets down to12C on a
frosty night. However, it seldom gets below 15C in my GH on a winter's
night here. Fans go 24 hourly.
Peter
--
)
"John Varigos" wrote in message
om...
Saw these in flower in Borneo where they grow in very hot and humid
conditions. Peter Maxwell has grown these successfully - perhaps he would
like to comment on his minimum temp and humidity.

John

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..

Old 03-12-2007, 05:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"Manelli Family" wrote in message

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
I hear you! When you walk in a tropical greenhouse and your glasses
*don't* fog over that's trouble too. [sigh] I grow too dry. Too cold.
Like I say, the heater will get worked on and turned up this weekend.
(I'm betting the Raiders won't be worth watching.)

You can always pick up an inexpensive heater at Wal*Mart until you fix the
one not working. I have three $20 heaters spaces around my 16'
greenhouse.

Thanks, Manelli Family! Yeah, I have an electric heater out there keeping
things from freezing while I get teh parts for the regular heater. So many
chores, so little time. *G*

Old 03-12-2007, 05:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

wrote in message
On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 18:28:33 -0600 in Manelli
Family wrote:

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..
I hear you! When you walk in a tropical greenhouse and your glasses
*don't* fog over that's trouble too. [sigh] I grow too dry. Too cold.
Like I say, the heater will get worked on and turned up this weekend.
(I'm betting the Raiders won't be worth watching.)

You can always pick up an inexpensive heater at Wal*Mart until you fix
the
one not working. I have three $20 heaters spaces around my 16'
greenhouse.

I'll add another two cents on inexpensive heaters...
Every now and then you'll see (for a given wattage) a heater with digital
controls selling for less than one with good manual switches and sometimes
dial thermostat... Do not give into temptation and buy the one with
digital
controls. It turns off during power blinks :-).
--
Chris Dukes

Nice to know!

Old 03-12-2007, 05:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Kathy, I recall you saying you had a Southern Burner gas heater no?
Where are or who are you ordering your parts from?
I have ordered the "power coupler" gizmo & paid an extra dollar to have
shipped over night?
The guy's name is Glen in Oklahoma?
Cheers Wendy
"K Barrett" wrote in message
news
"Manelli Family" wrote in message

. ..

Old 03-12-2007, 10:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

For those with relatively small orchid houses, there is a heater attachment
that will fit on the same gas canister used in grills. Expensive for
regular use, but easy and convenient for those who only have to heat a
couple-three nights a year, or as an emergency backup for use in a power
outage. Sorry I don't recall where we got ours. Kenni

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..

wrote in message
On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 18:28:33 -0600 in Manelli
Family wrote:

. ..

Old 04-12-2007, 09:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Finally I have something to contribute to this thread. The product Kenni is
talking about is Mr. Heater. I think we got them from Farm Tek, but not
certain. At any rate, here's a link to Mr. Heater:

http://www.mrheater.com/productdetails.asp?catid=42

Diana

"Kenni Judd" wrote in message
. ..
For those with relatively small orchid houses, there is a heater
attachment that will fit on the same gas canister used in grills.
Expensive for regular use, but easy and convenient for those who only have
to heat a couple-three nights a year, or as an emergency backup for use in
a power outage. Sorry I don't recall where we got ours. Kenni

"K Barrett" wrote in message
. ..

wrote in message
On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 18:28:33 -0600 in Manelli
Family wrote:

. ..