Old 07-12-2007, 02:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default the membership thing:

Average total distribution per issue during preceding 12 months
(including
free copies) of Orchid:
2004 = 24312
2005 = 22574

2006 -- 20863

2007: 18010, total sum.

oh my.

--j_a
Old 07-12-2007, 08:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

It has been a huge drop off. However, I'm willing to venture that things
will turn around. I can't speak for any region except my own, but our local
experience is very good.

Events are more inclusive, and there is a great deal of contact between AOS
and the Societies. I get regular emails addressing a variety of subjects,
and we have wonderful support from judges (one in particular) and other
volunteers. The classes offered at AOS headquarters are pertinent and span a
range that has appeal to newbies and seasoned growers.

In short, while many of us felt out of the loop in the past, that has
changed dramatically. That's a great first step. I'd be interested to hear
how the regional changes are working. Being in FL is not the same as living
in, say Chicago, I'm sure.

It's a big ship, and it will take time to turn it. IMO, they are really
trying, so we'll see.

Diana

Old 08-12-2007, 12:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Diana: The issues about AOS HQ affect only a very small percentage of AOS
members. It is good that they are starting to communicate with the local
OS's, to avoid debacles like holding major sales at HQ during the annual
show of a nearby OS, as they have done a couple times in recent years.
Paying class teachers actual money rather than via "free" advertising in
Orchids Magazine (something useless to many of us) is also a good move, but
so far the amount is pretty paltry (less than most local OS pay their
monthly meeting speaker). But truly, those things are only good for the
local area. They don't do anything for the members around the country, and
indeed the world, who far outnumber those of us in AOS' backyard.

The membership (which pretty much equates to magazine subscriber for those
outside south Florida, since AFAIK that's all they get) dropoff indicates
that readers as well as advertisers have been less than pleased with the
format changes ... or at least not pleased enough to pay the dues increase.

I hope you are right that the whole big ship is turning, I think there is a
need for a large organization (preferably truly global, rather than just
US-centric). But I ain't holdin' my breath. Kenni

.. .

Old 08-12-2007, 02:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Speaking as one who lives in Australia and has been a member since 1976, I
have been happy with the membership fees which basically mean Bulletin
(Orchids) subscription as I can very rarely avail myself of anything else on
offer from the AOS. (I have in the past few years been able to use my
Membership to get free entry to a couple of Botanic Gardens in the US.)

However, I am seriously considering whether I will renew my membership as I
am now not enamoured with the current format of Orchids. I would much
rather have more articles illustrated with relevant smaller colour
photographs than waste space on full page colour photos of 1 orchid. I can
get that on my computer screen. I want something that I can take to bed or
sit on my couch and read and be informed. Glancing at large full page colour
photos in a magazine doesn't do it for me.

How long have we been waiting to get a searchable index of the journal
something which would be of value to all members? Seems the focus has
been far too narrow and parochial for too long.

I am hoping that the new direction mentioned by Diana and Kenni leads to
some major changes in the Orchids bulletin and, as Kenni says, a global
focus. Obviously, over the past few years, many members have felt that
there are better things on which to spend their money than a subscription to
the AOS.

John

. ..

Old 08-12-2007, 08:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

John, as one living outside of the US, you make good points, and I
understand your feelings. But here in the States, regional centers are or
will be forming to service areas other than south Florida. As far as
communication with local societies, it is more than just starting; it has
been intense and positive.

Of course, I have heard of some local societies that are not impressed.
IMO, they tend to be groups that don't put a lot of effort into it
themselves. Some doth protest too much, methinks.

Kenni, I can see your point of view when it comes to instructing classes.
But nobody is forced to do that at all. Recently, I led a Cattleya class for
the AOS South Florida Leadership Council during an orchid fair held at
Mounts Botanical Garden in WPB. I volunteered, and did it for nothing.

Next month I'm speaking to a local garden club. No fee. Obviously, if I did
that sort of thing on a more frequent basis my attitude would be different,
but I look at these sessions as gifts that will be returned in one form or
another.

Diana

"John Varigos" wrote in message
om...
[...]

. ..

Old 10-12-2007, 11:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Diana, I've always said you were a sweet lady, and you know I respect you as
a grower. But I think you missed the main points on this one:

1. The stuff that goes on at AOS HQ, including classes, is of no
interest/benefit to the vast majority of members who get nothing more than
the magazine, in exchange for their dues. The mag (if not the whole
organization) has to be supported by advertiser $$, and it's been priced out
of reach for small and even mid-sized growers. I don't know whether there's
been an effect on revenue, possibly the big growers who can afford it are
taking up the "slack." But they won't keep doing that if readership
continues to dwindle. I would like to think that the absence of more
diverse advertising, including the smaller growers, is a contributing factor
to the decline in reader interest ...

2. Of course no one is forced to teach AOS classes (altho I've heard of
some judges being pressured pretty hard). But relying on charity is a
chancy way to obtain quality speakers to teach classes. Generous souls
willing to work for free, and esp. those like yourself who actually know
what they're talking about, are not all that commonly available. Kenni

SNIP

Old 11-12-2007, 12:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Kenni-

Wow, *sweet*......Don't remember when anyone used that adjective to describe
me, LOL! Prickly, maybe, opinionated, definitely, but sweet?

Anyway, perhaps we've been talking past each other. I absolutely see your
points. But one of the things that AOS is trying to do is to reach out to
other regions via reps in those regions. I can't say for sure, but it would
seem a way to do that is through the regional judging centers. I hope that
effort works, because if it does it will eliminate the gap in services
between 'us' and 'them'.

As far as service is concerned, I can tell you that one of the most time
effective marketing tools I had when in business was free and fair advice.
If I were a commercial grower, I would consider it a bonus to be able to get
in front of a group for a talk, providing the drive distance was reasonable
and kept me in my physical service area. Nothing like a personal
relationship with a customer to cement loyalty.

Diana

Old 11-12-2007, 09:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

As another non American and one who edits a couple of on line orchid
newsletters, I would like to point out that most (If not all) orchid
publications these days, cannot afford to pay for articles that they
publish. The result of this is that they (We) grasp at any free offer
that comes our way. And these are few and far between. If you want to
improve the quality of the magazine/newsletter that you usually get,
then have a little input instead of carping from the sidelines. When
was the last time you wrote something that was published?

I am not trying to be an apologist for the AOS or any other
organisation but if you don't like the output, try a little input.

Tony Watkinson
Perth Western Australia

Old 11-12-2007, 11:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Agree with you on this one, Tony. That's why I am now the editor of our
local society newsletter - its time for me to put in. Reminds me. I must
send you a copy.

John

Old 11-12-2007, 02:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

but if you don't like the output, try a little input.

And that says it all. Hear, hear.

Diana

Old 11-12-2007, 10:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Whose wonderful idea was it to put together the CD of old orchid books? They
deserve a medal! I was tempted to buy one myself, but my credit card's fee
for exchanging money is twice the cost of the CD, LOL!! I tell you these
banks make money hand over fist.

K Barrett

Old 12-12-2007, 06:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Dec 12, 7:21 am, "K Barrett" wrote:
Whose wonderful idea was it to put together the CD of old orchid books? They
deserve a medal! I was tempted to buy one myself, but my credit card's fee
for exchanging money is twice the cost of the CD, LOL!! I tell you these
banks make money hand over fist.

K Barrett

Still cheap at twice the price. ;-)

Tony

Membership Shelly Hurd Bonsai 1 03-01-2004 04:33 AM
American Bamboo Society membership Bert Bamboo 0 18-12-2003 03:32 AM
RHS Royal Horticultural Society Membership al Gardening 3 11-07-2003 11:56 PM
The continuing challeges of SAF membership (cont'd) Geoff Kegerreis alt.forestry 0 16-05-2003 04:08 AM
The continuing challenges of SAF membership Geoff Kegerreis alt.forestry 0 16-05-2003 03:56 AM