Old 08-12-2007, 02:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default I think I'm losing one - advice please

I have seven phals. All in the same place and all doing extremely
well, except for one.

This one is losing two large leaves. The are not the oldest leaves,
which is what concerns me most. It has seven leaves. Four are very
large (one is almost all yellow and another is starting to turn
yellow). The remaining three leaves are smaller and at least one is
relatively new.

This plant has already bloomed twice. Last time it was growing a
flower spike I repotted it with all new bark and moss in a slightly
larger pot. That was about 6 months ago. It bloomed beautifully and
did very well.

All the other phals are doing great. One is going to bloom for the
third time and two others are in full bloom now.

Is there anything I can do to save this plant?

Thanks
Old 08-12-2007, 02:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On the assumption that the potting medium is consistent between the plants,
meaning that the same watering regimen is good for all, and it's been 6
months since repotting, I would think it's safe to rule out root issues.

I'd speculate that you're seeing a bacterial or fungal infection that
originated from water standing in the leaf axils - the little "cups" they
make where they attach to the plant.

You're probably going to lose those leaves altogether, but if kept dry,
especially at night, I would not anticipate further issues.

Old 08-12-2007, 10:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

--

Ray Barkalow - First Rays Orchids -www.firstrays.com

"JaneB" wrote in message

I have seven phals. All in the same place and all doing extremely
well, except for one.

This one is losing two large leaves. The are not the oldest leaves,
which is what concerns me most. It has seven leaves. Four are very
large (one is almost all yellow and another is starting to turn
yellow). The remaining three leaves are smaller and at least one is
relatively new.

This plant has already bloomed twice. Last time it was growing a
flower spike I repotted it with all new bark and moss in a slightly
larger pot. That was about 6 months ago. It bloomed beautifully and
did very well.

All the other phals are doing great. One is going to bloom for the
third time and two others are in full bloom now.

Is there anything I can do to save this plant?

Thanks

Thanks for the reply Ray. It was a reasonable guess, but actually I'm
always very careful not to get the leaves wet.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Glad to hear that, but sorry it wasn't accurate.

It does sound like some sort of infection, as opposed to root issues, so now
we just have to determine the cause....

Old 09-12-2007, 02:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"JaneB" wrote in message

[...]

OK. Any ideas how? As I said my other six phals are in great shape.
Should I isolate the one with the green leaves? The problem with
doing that is there is no other place in the house where these plants
will grow so moving it ensures it's demise.

Old 09-12-2007, 05:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

JaneB wrote:

[...]

Move it anyway. Nothing bad will happen from a bad location in the short
run. I'm thinking a month or 2 at the most.
I'm remembering loosing a vanda type orchid. It had some leaves turn
yellow about half way between the bottom of the plant. Only a couple of
leaves and, at first, I wasn't concerned. Soon, more leaves were
yellowing and I tried to save it. It pretty much fell apart from some
disease killing it from the inside out.
The yellow leaves on your plant will fall off or you will remove them.
If nothing else bad happens, move it back to the good location. If it
continues to loose leaves, I would un pot it (even though it is freshly
potted) and remove every bit of dead roots and ay other dead plant
parts. If it has an internal rot of some kind, it might fall apart
before you get around to this.

Steve

Old 10-12-2007, 01:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I moved the plant.

Pictures of the leaves are he

http://home.comcast.net/~jbcamel/temp/phalleaf2.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~jbcamel/temp/phalleaf1.jpg

I couldn't quite get a good photo with both bad leaves in the same
shot. After taking the pics I removed the leaf in the first photo.
The second will probably come of tomorrow or the next day.

I appreciate the help.

Old 10-12-2007, 02:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

It doesn't look like root rot as I think there are some very healthy roots
with green tips growing across the leaf and down towards the mix. Can it be
just old age - natural leaf attrition?

The new leaves look healthy enough.

John

news

Old 10-12-2007, 12:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Definitely looks like a bacterial rot to me.

Considering it started more-or-less in the middle of the leaves ("wet"
looking area in #1, black area in #2), I'd suspect some sort of mechanical
damage or even an insect bite,

Old 10-12-2007, 05:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

http://home.comcast.net/~jbcamel/tem.../phalleaf1.jpg

I couldn't quite get a good photo with both bad leaves in the same
shot. After taking the pics I removed the leaf in the first photo.
The second will probably come of tomorrow or the next day.

I appreciate the help.

scary looking. i have some older phals that lose mid leaves, but they
just turn clear yellow and fall off over the course of several days
(weeks, months...). i just attribute it to age. (my hilo lip just
lost a leaf that has been on the plant for some 5 years. it's been
turning yellow for months.)

what you've got looks like something else is going on.

helpful, amn't i ?

--j_a

Old 10-12-2007, 10:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"JaneB" wrote in message

I moved the plant.

Pictures of the leaves are he

http://home.comcast.net/~jbcamel/temp/phalleaf2.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~jbcamel/temp/phalleaf1.jpg

I couldn't quite get a good photo with both bad leaves in the same
shot. After taking the pics I removed the leaf in the first photo.
The second will probably come of tomorrow or the next day.

I appreciate the help.

I examined the roots. They are pale but very firm. Much like the
lower roots always look when I repot.

So - now what??
Old 10-12-2007, 11:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Jane, after seeing the pics, I agree it looks like a rot, most probably
bacterial. If it's not too late, you need to stop it from reaching the
central growing "stem."

Using a sterilized cutting tool, cut those 2 leaves off as close to the
center of the plant as you can without cutting off the top. Re-sterilize
between cuts, or use separate clean blades. Dust the cut edges with
cinnamon (yes, right out of your kitchen or the local grocery). Let that
dry, then spray the whole plant with a broad-spectrum bacteri-fungicide
(RD-20, Physan, whatever you can find locally). If the cinnamon washes off
the cut edges, apply more.

If possible, give the plant a little extra shade while it recuperates from
the surgery. If it's blooming, or even has a spike, cutting that off to
save energy drain on the plant would be helpful. Kenni

Old 11-12-2007, 12:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

"JaneB" wrote in message

I moved the plant.

Pictures of the leaves are he

http://home.comcast.net/~jbcamel/temp/phalleaf2.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~jbcamel/temp/phalleaf1.jpg

I couldn't quite get a good photo with both bad leaves in the same
shot. After taking the pics I removed the leaf in the first photo.
The second will probably come of tomorrow or the next day.

I appreciate the help.

I examined the roots. They are pale but very firm. Much like the
lower roots always look when I repot.

So - now what??

In my humble opinion I'd cut away the rotted leaves to good sound leaf
structure, all the way to the axil by the looks of it. Drench the
affected areas with peroxide - the same stuff you have in your medicine
cabinet at home - then seal the cut areas with cinnamon - the same
stuff you have in your spice cabinet at home, keep the plant isolated
from the others and see how things progress. If the leaves continue to
yellow and drop then teh bacteria have gotten into the central stem of
the plant. If not you caught it in time amd halted the spread.

K Barrett