Old 17-12-2007, 12:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Standard Pots

I got a call from another Va grower a few days ago. Seems he and a Md
grower are having a hard time finding standard pots. (Standard pots
are the taller grower pot compared to the shorter azalea pot). Last
time I tried to order some 5" standard they were out of stock but I
did not think anything of it. But it seems that from Boston to Va
standard pots can no longer be had. This area's pot supply is control
by Dillon/Reb and ITML/Kord and it seems that they have decided to no
longer produce standards. This really does not surprise me since I
have not been able to buy a 5.5" light weight azalea for a couple
years. I called ITML about the 5.5" Kord pot and was told that the
die was broken and it would not be repaired.

Ever since the 5.5" pot was taken off the market and being forced to
sit through a 'yogurt' pot sale presentation while waiting to be given
an AHS medal, I have been saying pots as we know them are a thing of
the past. Beside Dillon and ITML I do not know what other
manufactures there are out there. Dillon and ITML control this area
with an iron fist. But I have received plants from FLA and the west
coast in non Dillon/ITML pots. What brand pots are you guys using or
seeing? Any favorites? Does anyone know a source for 5.5" azaleas?
If we are going to have to start buying pots from FLA or the west
coast, this area's growers will have to go in together so we can buy
by the pallet. UPS on single boxes would kill us yet again.

Pat
Old 17-12-2007, 05:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I have 2 types from Nursery Supplies Inc., Chambersburg PA., McMinnville,
Or., and Orange Ca. The first is what I'd call a 1 gallon pot (I'm sure I'm
wrong) the item number on the bottom of the pot is Poly-Tainer-Can NO-1P.
The other is a Poly-Tainer-Can 6X5 which is more like an azalea pot. Both
are black. Both are recyclable. I did not purchase these. I got them from
a club member who had a side business in orchid supplies. I believe they
bulk ordered them from a place in Davis, Ca. but I'm probably wrong.

There was The Supreme Commander Harry Tolen who used to sell clear pots. I
believe he purchased the dies.... He was/is in Southern California (Chula
Vista, I think) He may have some odd pot sizes. Whether there are enough
for a commercial company I have no idea.

Sorry to be of limited help.

K Barrett

Old 18-12-2007, 10:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Hi there Pat, Not sure if this will help you, but the company that makes the
black 5x5" that I use is:-
McConkey Co., Sumner WA.
There is a wholesale distributer here in Orange County so maybe there are
more around.
I have actually hand washed & scrubbed pots because they stopped making
and I like the firmer
solid rim type. They threw away the mold!
Cheers Wendy

Old 18-12-2007, 10:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

FYI, the clear pots sold by Chula Orchids (I carry some of them also) were
made by McConkey for Harry, using their own molds. He just had them use
unpigmented polymer to which they have added a UV inhibitor.

news