Old 26-12-2007, 10:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default How's the weather with you?

Hello all you orchid lovers on this world wide boxing day

I see that some of you in the far north are having a bad time weather
wise with snow and sleet and cold weather generally.
I thought you might spare a thought for us poor souls who reside on
the other side of our great planet. No folks, we are not freezing as
you are! Indeed quite the opposite. Our Xmas day had all the doors and
windows open and the air conditioner (Swamp Cooler to you. A very
large one on the roof of the house) going flat out. It was only 40.1C
and our meat and salad Xmas diner really fitted the bill. Lots of open
wine bottles and a good time was had by all.
That was yesterday!!
Today it got hot! 44.8C!!!! I spent most of the day staying out of the
heat and watching the cricket on TV (Boxing Day Test between Oz &
India). Every hour or so I would run? race? ...no, just go outside and
spray water willy nilly (or the opposite of whatever that is). Temps
in the greenhouse reached 36C and were kept that cool by another swamp
cooler and lots of water sprayed in the aforementioned willy nilly
fashion.

Funny old world isn't it

Tony
Old 26-12-2007, 10:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

It seems that I forgot to mention that the relative humidity
(outside )during all this time wavered between 20 - 30 %.

Don't believe me? see here.. http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/inde...014349,00.html

Didn't mention that I live in Perth Western Australia either.

I blame it on all those wine bottles.

Tony
Old 26-12-2007, 03:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Hi there Tony, I was just thinking about the weather in S.Africa where my
relatives are.
S. California is more Mediterranean but it gets cold enough for my old bones
& joints. 40 something degrees?

Anyway, I have a swamp cooler for my g/h & our summers. Also have
misters & fans that keep things cool.
Someone said that if you put a layer of red brick chips down on the g/h
floor it also helps as the brick absorbs water.

Hope you saved some wine for the new year? *G* I thought it was beer you
blokes like?
Cheers Wendy

Old 26-12-2007, 09:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
No Name

Gorgeous here yesterday, in spite of the wine (or because of it!). Around 74
degrees. Today is a little cooler, still nice, but it's been windy and gray,
so it doesn't feel as lovely. A good day to lay about.

Diana
South FL

Old 27-12-2007, 09:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
SuE SuE is offline

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 16:47:18 -0500, wrote:

Gorgeous here yesterday, in spite of the wine (or because of it!). Around 74
degrees. Today is a little cooler, still nice, but it's been windy and gray,
so it doesn't feel as lovely. A good day to lay about.

Diana
South FL

Ok, so the Christmas Day storm that dumped 6-8" in Denver somehow
skipped Longmont and we got 3/8 of an inch. Yes. in the mm range.
We are making up for it today. I think John said 3 inches when he
shoveled this AM and it has been snowing ever since.

Ski bums - the high country = UP top has gotten up to 19" in the first
storm and I know not what today. It is a great ski snow, a very dry
snow.

Feeling sorry for my self watching the electric heater try to pick up
the furnace's slack. And the meter reader was here today. ouch The
snow is hung up on the shadecloth so the sun can't even reach the gh.
(If it ever gets out from behind that snow cloud.) Now the wind wants
to redistribute the snow on the ground.

Hope someone has great blooms posted on ABPO.

SuE

Old 28-12-2007, 03:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
SuE SuE is offline

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 20:03:54 -0500, "Diana Kulaga"
wrote:

I'll try to take some pictures tomorrow! I haven't had time to get over to
abpo, and I'm sure I've missed a lot.

Diana

I need those pix Diana. It was -4 this am. Should have been 3 above.
I thought I left this stuff in the Midwest when we moved here.
SuE

Old 30-12-2007, 02:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
SuE SuE is offline

On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 15:41:17 +1000, Dave Gillingham
wrote:

Would fair ruin my spatulata Dens! Hope it gets a little kinder soon, Sue.

Thanks. I too am looking forward to the New Year when we are
predicted to see 48 during the day. Oh, for those odd Colorado
winter days when the gh hits 80 on solar gain.

Happy New Year All and Best Blooms all around.
SuE

Old 30-12-2007, 09:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Oh to have some of your cool weather. It is forecast to be 42°C today.
(That's 107.6°F for those in Nth America.)

Apparently it has been the hottest year on record in Melbourne and today is
going to be the hottest day this year. What a way to see out the old year!!

Happy New Year to all of you!

~John

Old 31-12-2007, 06:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Sympathy to you, & to Perth a couple of days ago as well. I'll pray for cool
weather for you if you pray for drought breaking rain for us!
In the meantime, thanks for your wishes, & Happy Nerw Year to all on our behalf
as well.

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 08:33:51 +1100, "John Varigos"
wrote:

Oh to have some of your cool weather. It is forecast to be 42°C today.
(That's 107.6°F for those in Nth America.)

Apparently it has been the hottest year on record in Melbourne and today is
going to be the hottest day this year. What a way to see out the old year!!

Happy New Year to all of you!

~John

.. .

Old 31-12-2007, 09:27 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Someone said that if you put a layer of red brick chips down on the g/h
floor it also helps as the brick absorbs water.

I have concrete floors??

Hope you saved some wine for the new year? *G* I thought it was beer you
blokes like?
Cheers Wendy

Well, the bottle(s) is (are) empty so I will just have to use up the
beer for the new year. Such is life!

On Dec 31, 3:59 pm, Dave Gillingham wrote:
Sympathy to you, & to Perth a couple of days ago as well. I'll pray for cool weather for you

Thanks Dave. Your prayers must have worked because the temps have
cooled down to a pleasant mid 30'sC (Ha ha)

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 08:33:51 +1100, "John Varigos"
Oh to have some of your cool weather. It is forecast to be 42°C today.
(That's 107.6°F for those in Nth America.)
Apparently it has been the hottest year on record in Melbourne and today is
going to be the hottest day this year. What a way to see out the old year!!

Sorry John but this is the same weather we had here a few days ago. It
all floats to the east.

Happy New Year to all of you!

Well I'll go along with that. This is New Years Eve and I wish for
you all exactly what you would wish for yourselves.

Tony

Old 31-12-2007, 11:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

wrote:

Would fair ruin my spatulata Dens! Hope it gets a little kinder soon,
Sue.

Thanks. I too am looking forward to the New Year when we are
predicted to see 48 during the day. Oh, for those odd Colorado
winter days when the gh hits 80 on solar gain.

Happy New Year All and Best Blooms all around.
SuE

Dave Gillingham

Weather here was totally bogus. All cold, clammy and cloudy, even some
fog. ICK! Today is marvelous. Blue skies, heading my way!! Had to
break out the shades, sun's so bright.

I'm trying Anthony Bourdain's Les Halles version of Boeuf Bourguinon for
New Year's Eve feast. Along with his version of lemon tart. We'll see.
I have my doubts. One just can't get the materials the restaurateurs can
get.

Happy New Years every one! Remember - no one grows better than you!
(Or that's what I'm telling myself today, ROTFLMAO!)

K Barrett
Old 01-01-2008, 02:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Mon, 31 Dec 2007 15:42:38 -0800, K Barrett wrote:

[Big snip]
I'm trying Anthony Bourdain's Les Halles version of Boeuf Bourguinon for
New Year's Eve feast. Along with his version of lemon tart. We'll see.
I have my doubts. One just can't get the materials the restaurateurs can
get.

I s'pose it's a bit late to book my air fare? ;-)