Old 10-01-2008, 09:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Tom: DVOS today!

Actually I'm just kidding, Tom, you can relax,*G*. The real reason why I'm
posting to to suggest this as a topic to any club who's looking for a cheap
informative topic using speakers who are probably in your own club, thereby
saving some money. We call it 'Bad Plants, Bad Plants, Whacha Gonna Do?
Whacha Gonna Do When They Happen To You?' like the 'Cops' theme song.
http://www.diabloviewos.org/

We have the members bring in their bad plants so we can help with culture
tips. Its easier to give good solid advice if you can see what people are
doing. Members bring in their plants, Dennis and I give advice about their
culture or any other tip they may need to grow the plant better and they get
a ticket for a special drawing at the end. At the end members who've had
their ticket drawn have a choice. They can get their bad plant back to keep
trying to grow it or they can take a chance on 'What's In the Box' (sort of
like a game show). If they choose what's in the box their bad plant is
dramatically slammed into a garbage can and the person gets a great new
orchid.

Of course, your club needs someone who can grow orchids or is knowledgeable
about orchids. *G*! (That's Dennis) And someone who's unafraid to look like
an idiot (that's me).

A good time is had by all. We used to dress up like gang bangers, he was
the leader of the 'Thrips', and I was the leader of the 'Buds' (Crips and
Bloods - get it?) And a funny write up always helps people get into the
spirit of the thing.

Anyway, since VPs everywhere are looking for topics for next year, there's
one that's easy.

K Barrett

Old 10-01-2008, 10:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 13:25:04 -0800, K Barrett wrote
(in article ):

[...]

How did I know you were going to strong-arm me?

Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
Nikon D200

Old 11-01-2008, 02:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

.com...

Its just my shy, retiring nature!

Old 19-01-2008, 05:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

This time I was shocked. Members only brought in a dozen plants, ACK!
Usually there are dozens and we group them by type (overpotting, rotted
roots, pests, etc) so I thought we'd fall on our faces. But we still filled
the time with discussions about everything orchid. I think the group got
their money's worth. (free)

"Kenni Judd" wrote in message
news
Sounds considerably more entertaining than many OS meetings I've seen!
Good job!!!

. ..