Old 06-02-2008, 10:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default longwood gardens?

anyone ever been to their orchid thing? i was contemplating going,
but it's 100 mi away and gas is $3 a gallon and it's $14 to get in and
most of the grounds won't be in bloom anyway...... but if it's
spectacular, i can be persuaded to go.

--j_a

http://www.longwoodgardens.org/OrchidExtravaganza.html

Old 07-02-2008, 04:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

According to the ad in 'Orchids' the sale will be 3/28 - 30. Vendors will
be Andy's Orchids, Cal-Orchid, Celebrate Orchdis, Create-A-Scene,
Ecuagenera, H&R, Hoosier, Just Pat, Kelleys Korner, Krull Smith (maybe you
can get some of those besseae hybrids) Lois Duffin, Miranda from Brazil,
Parkside, Piping Rock (maybe you can get one of those legal kovachii
hybrids), Seagrove, Stony Brook, Waldor, and Woodland.

IIRC Longwood was one of the olde hobbyist/hybridizers from teh 30 &40s.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

wrote in message

anyone ever been to their orchid thing? *i was contemplating going,
but it's 100 mi away and gas is $3 a gallon and it's $14 to get in and
most of the grounds won't be in bloom anyway...... *but if it's
spectacular, i can be persuaded to go. *

--j_a

http://www.longwoodgardens.org/OrchidExtravaganza.html- Hide quoted text -

What do you say about this event? For years SEPOS (SE PA orchid
society) helt their annual show at the King of Prussia Mall. The last
couple of years, the mall and the society quit playing nice and as a
result the mall was no longer an option for SEPOS' show. Looking for
a new venue, SEPOS and Longwood teamed together and created this
show. Over the past two years SEPOS has uninvited many of the vendors
who had done SEPOS' shows for many, many years to make the new show
more 'international'. In my book this show is a disgrace and results
from a society out of control.

Pat
Old 08-02-2008, 02:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

i was actully wondering just about the conservatory display, which is
february-march; but then i remembered about the show/sale and figured
if i do go, it would be then (hopefully with a carload of people).

but it's actually $16 to get in, and that's disinclining me to go up
there at all, i must admit.....

--j_a
Old 08-02-2008, 09:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Feb 8, 9:42*am, wrote:
i was actully wondering just about the conservatory display, which is
february-march; but then i remembered about the show/sale and figured
if i do go, it would be then (hopefully with a carload of people).

but it's actually $16 to get in, and that's disinclining me to go up
there at all, i must admit.....

As if $16 would be anything compared to what you'd spend at the sale.
(annoying emoticon here)

J. Del Col

Old 08-02-2008, 09:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Feb 8, 4:35*pm, jadel wrote:

As if $16 would be anything compared to what you'd spend at the sale.
(annoying emoticon here)

J. Del Col

hee! actually i'm pretty good at being frugal at sales. helps if
you've run out of room in your grow area.

--j_a

Old 15-02-2008, 11:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I haven't been there since they started this orchid event, but before that,
their orchid collection was ho-hum. Their greenhouses are out of this world
at any season and worth the time and price to go see. At 100 miles I
wouldn't think twice. I'm close to 1000 miles and kicking myself around the
room as to whether to go or not. I'm disabled which may be a deciding
factor. Go and have fun!
Gary

"J Fortuna" wrote in message
j_a,