Old 09-02-2008, 07:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Orchids of Mexico and Guatemala

I have posted an on-line version of the rare book Orchids of Mexico
and Guatemala by James Bateman on my website. Bateman's books are
well known for their wonderfully detailed botanical prints of
orchids. There are forty species illustrated and described in the
book.

The book was written in the mid 1800's and the original was limited to
only 125 copies. A rare reprint was produced in 1973 but the cheapest
one I could find was over $1000!

Here is a chance to peruse a rare book of great importantance to the
orchid community.

http://www.geocities.com/cattleyasou...ico/index.html

I hope you enjoy the book.

John Denson, RLA

Old 09-02-2008, 09:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Feb 9, 8:14*am, "
wrote:
I have posted an on-line version of the rare book Orchids of Mexico
and Guatemala by James Bateman on my website. ...

The book was written in the mid 1800's and the original was limited to
only 125 copies. *A rare reprint was produced in 1973 but the cheapest
one I could find was over $1000!

John (and all the others of course),

1000$ may be the asking price in the US... here in Europe you can find
the reprint for much less :-)
Have a look at http://www.nvva.nl/kok/orchidee.htm , it's only 175
Euro.

Incidently, if someone has any of the following magazines that I'm
still looking for (or leads where I can find them!!!) then please let
me know:

American Orchid Society Bulletin (US):
Volume 1 (1932 - 1933): issue 3
Volume 2 (1933 - 1934): issues 2, 4
Volume 3 (1934 - 1935): issue 1
Volume 4 (1935 - 1936): issue 3
Volume 5 (1936 - 1937): issues 1, 3
Volume 6 (1937 - 1938): issue 1
Volume 7 (1938 - 1939): issue 2

Awards Quarterly (US):
Volume 35 (2004): issue 4
Volume 36 (2005): issues 2 - 3

CSA Journal (US):
Volume 27 - 33 (2001 - 2007)

Die Orchidee (DE):
Volume 6 (1955): issue 1
Volume 7 (1956): issue 2

Lindleyana (US)
Volume 12 (1997): issue 3
Volume 16 (2001): issue 4

L'Orchidophile (FR):
Volume 12 (1981): issue 45

Orchid Digest (US):
Volumes 1 - 4 (1937 - 1940)
Volume 5 (1941): issues 1 - 3
Volume 10 (1946): issue 2

Orchid Society of Great Britain Journal (UK):
Volumes 1 - 22 (1952 ? - 1973)
Volume 23 (1974): issues 1, 3, 4
Volume 29 (1980): issue 2
Volumes 31 - 32 (1982 - 1983)
Volume 33 (1984): issues 3, 4
Volume 34 (1985)

Orchideeën (NL):
Volume 4 (1937): issue 1
Volume 14 (1952): issue 6
Volume 17 (1955): issues 1 - 3
Volume 66 (2004): issue 1

Principes (International Palm Society, US)
Volume 3 (1959): issue 2
Volume 16 (1972): issue 4
Volume 20 (1976): issue 1

The Orchid Advocate (US):
Volume 1 (1975)
Volume 15 (1989)
Volume 17 - 25 (1991 - 1999)

The updated wantlist can always be found at http://www.orchidbooks.eu/information.php?info_id=5
, my site where I offer duplicate books & magazines from my book
collection.

Kind regards,

Kenneth.

Kenneth Bruyninckx
Akerne Orchids
Laarsebeekdreef 4, B-2900 Schoten, Belgium
tel. +32 (0)3 651 40 36 fax +32 (0)3 653 06 76

www.akerne-orchids.com

See us at the following shows and events in 2008:

· London Orchid Show, London, UK (15-16/3)
· 11ème Biennale Intenationale d'Orchidées, Ragnies, Belgium
(30/4-4/5)
· Open Nursery Weekend, Schoten, Belgium (31/5-1/6)
· Peterborough International Orchid Show, Peterborough, UK
(14-15/6)

Looking for orchid books and magazines? Visit www.orchidbooks.eu

Old 10-02-2008, 10:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Wendy, it is way outside any copyright laws having been published more than
150 years ago. We had this discussion in 2006 when Steve Topletz made James
Veitch's book Hortus Veitchii (plus others) available on a DVD.

~John

Old 10-02-2008, 03:02 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

wrote in message

I have posted an on-line version of the rare book Orchids of Mexico
and Guatemala by James Bateman on my website. *Bateman's books are
well known for their wonderfully detailed botanical prints of
orchids. *There are forty species illustrated and described in the
book.

The book was written in the mid 1800's and the original was limited to
only 125 copies. *A rare reprint was produced in 1973 but the cheapest
one I could find was over $1000!

Here is a chance to peruse a rare book of great importantance to the
orchid community.

http://www.geocities.com/cattleyasou...es/orchids_of_...

I hope you enjoy the book.

John Denson, RLA- Hide quoted text -

Wendy,

Thanks for looking at the site. The Orchids of Mexico and Guatemala
was published over 150 years ago and the original text and images are
now in the public domain. I put the book online for other orchid
hobbyists to enjoy. Its my tribute to one of the great early works on
orchids.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Hi John

More power to you for making the effort. Well done!!

I don't mean this as any criticism but I notice that you say the
article is well and truly out of copyright but you still have your
copyright logo at the bottom. Did I miss something?

Tony

Old 11-02-2008, 03:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Feb 11, 12:48*pm, emntee wrote:
Hi John

More power to you for making the effort. Well done!!

I don't mean this as any criticism but I notice that you say the
article is well and truly out of copyright but you still have your
copyright logo at the bottom. Did I miss something?

Tony

Thanks for checking out the site. To clarify the issue of copyright:
the original content from James Bateman has entered the Public
Domain. However, the website in its entirety is copyrighted.

The copyright message at the bottom was a reaction to e-bay orchid
sellers who would use my original content from the orchid species
descriptions on their e-bay sales page.

I hope this answers you question. Copyright law is somewhat confusing.