Old 21-04-2003, 10:20 PM
Geir Harris Hedemark

Default Cold outdoor vanda culture (Was: Cym leaves collapsing)

"V_coerulea" writes:
Such is life in the southern USA. I think you have a good idea. Maybe if we
ban together we can also outlaw tornadoes, hurricanes, and dangerous
thunderstorms with 4-5" hail, 60 mph winds and constant cloud to ground
lightning.

Sounds like something I would want to experience once, but only once.

On the other hand, there are still patches of snow around here. Not
Good.

We're rapidly approaching the temps where your highs will be looking awfully
darn good. Our cyms pull through it all in great shape with fine blooms.

I am new to vandaceous orchids. I am pondering trying to have them
outside during the day from sometime in the middle of may until
whenever the weather goes colder. I am not satisfied with the light
they get indoors.

Does this mean I will have to upgrade my once-a-week watering regimen
as well? I think 80 is a realistic daytime high here, absolutely not
much higher than 90. Humidity is about*30-40%, light level is
approx. 100-125klux right now. They will be in full sun from 2pm until
about 10pm, and located on a tray in a container filled with water in
a hopeless attempt to increase the humidity around the plants.

Is this a suitable climate? I can leave them indoors, in which
case they only get about 30klux of artificial light, same humidity,
and a little higher temp without any air movement.

Will the light be too much for them? What should I look for when
trebling or quadrupling the amount of light, and how do I tell wether
they need more or less water short of tipping them out of the pot?
Will pests be a problem?

There are only three plants I plan on trying this with - a vanda
sansai blue, an ascocenda sunchart x yip sum wah, and an ascocenda su
fun beauty. The first one is strap-leaved and small (2 years until
flowering, I guess). the two others are semi-terete-leaved adults.

Geir

Old 22-04-2003, 11:32 PM
V_coerulea

Hi Geir,
I'd say your low temps are also a factor. Most Vandas dislike temps in the
50's (except maybe coerulea). So I'd say your plan is well worth a try if
the plants can be protected against temps below 65 (maybe an occassional
60). You shouldn't have a problem with increased light. Your June-July light
is of longer duration than ours, but I think the intensity is also lower.
I'm not aware of any affects of duration vs intensity studies on Vandas.
Generally with vandas, more is better.
Yes, I'd would increase the watering outside to everyday, particularly if
you pot bareroot in a basket or a very loose mix and the humidity is low. If
the humidity is very low, twice a day is not too much even during your full
sun. I've seen vandas outside under timed mist systems under 50% shade in
very loose mix and baskets here in the south USA.
best, Gary