Old 27-02-2008, 01:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Why ANTS on my Dendrobiums and Epidendrums, only?

I've never had the problem in the past. At first I thought that the soap
spray I recently started using attracted them, but why not all my other
orchids?

All my plants are under 20/20 screening; southen exposure... and I'm in
Palm Beach County, FL.... I water only once a week and my pots are
mostly dry.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Old 27-02-2008, 02:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Greetings from St. Lucie County, John. Don't know how long you've been
growing, but if you haven't had ants before, as one who also grows under
screen I salute you. I doubt that the soap itself has anything to do with
the ants suddenly adoring your Epis and Dends.

What were you using the soap spray for? I have to assume it was for some
type of critters. If so, the critters could be what the ants are after.

Big ants? Little ants? Do they run like little miniature mad people? If so,
they could be Caribbean crazy ants, which used to be confined to the far
western areas but which made it east after the hurricanes of '04 and '05.

Welcome to rgo, and tell us more.....

Diana

Old 27-02-2008, 03:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

They hide, too, when they see me approaching

I think you're right; as I first started seeing them on the property
just after the 04/05 season, but never on my orchids... or inside the
house (at least not these guys).

I think I'll just start baiting (bait traps) in order to keep them under
control.

Thanks...

John

Old 27-02-2008, 03:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

what are they potted in? the little sugar ants up here looooove my
dens in lava rock. :\ and when i chase them out of there, they
reluctantly settle for my catt in bark.

--j_a

Old 28-02-2008, 12:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

How many plants are affected? Can you find a "central location"? I suspect
they've made a nest in one of your pots. If so, what we do to get rid of
them is soak the plant in a bucket (water higher than the top of the potting
media) and drown them. But, you first have to find the pot with the nest in
it ...

I agree with Diana, the soap should not be the culprit.

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

Old 28-02-2008, 12:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Thanks, all, for your help... I think I've got them knocked down and
under control at this point.

John

Old 28-02-2008, 11:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Since the infestation wasn't all that bad... and no visible signs of any
other pests in or around my pots, I mixed a 50% solution of what I use
whenever I notice spider mites (Garden Safe Brand concentrate) and did a
number on everything green...

Hopefully I've knocked them down somewhat... and I'll probably follow up
with a bait in a few days should I notice any trails. Otherwise, I've
had no problems thus far with any insects.

Thanks, again, for all your concern.

John

Old 29-02-2008, 12:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

John, I am not familiar with the specific product you mention, so I don't
know the ingredients. But in general, miticides don't do much against
insects and insecticides don't work well, if at all, on mites -- and the
alleged "combo" products I've found around here don't seem to do much
against either of the damn pests :(

If you find you need additional measures for the ants, an acephate chemical
(sold under many brand names, Orthene, Isotox, etc.) would be my first
choice. Kenni

Old 29-02-2008, 08:02 AM
Registered User

Location: Cape Town, South Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenni Judd View Post
[...]

I always thought that ants on orchids is indicative of an aphid problem mainly because the ant feed on the honeydew that is secreted by the aphids.
I know you already posted that you solved the ant problem, but maybe you should also check for aphids.
Digging in the dirt.
Orchids
Candle Making